New Year's Eve in Paris

Old Sep 17th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Eve in Paris

I've read posts that New Year's Eve in Paris is fabulous, but they don't mention what can be done! I'll be ringing in 2006 there and would love some suggestions. My boyfriend and I are both 25yrs old so we're on a budget. Hopefully, something that's no more than $75. Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM

We had NYE dinner but it was reserved months in advance. Many restaurants have special St. Sylvester menus that are pretty expensive more than usual. I think there are restaurants that maybe you can eat at without reservations and won't cost much. After dinner we went to Notre Dame's Parvis to view the fireworks that were in the distance at Pl. de la Concorde.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Is that $75 (60 euros) per person, or for both? As already noted, you'll need reservations in advance for dinner on New Years Eve just about anywhere in Paris ville and it can get quite expensive. Last year our bill was close to 250 euros at a simple family restaurant in the 13th. Besides needing reservations, you'll find that a number of restaurants are closed for the holidays, many not reopening until after the 1st. Some, but not all, restaurants that are closed post information on what restaurants are open in the area, which is helpful when you're looking for a place to have dinner. One restaurant that is open on New Years Day is Chez Maître Paul in the 6th. You'll have to check to see if that are also open on NYE.

You can want to check out the following web sites for a little more information on what to expect:

http://www.parisnotes.com/ (subscription required)
http://www.parisinfo.com/
http://www.paris.org/
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I don't actually remember a lot of posts saying it was so fabulous -- sort of the opposite.

It's like any major city as to what people do on New Year's Eve -- some people go to private parties, but publicly, some people go to restaurants or clubs for fancy evenings out, dinner, live music, etc. Also as with any city, those are very expensive on New Year's Eve, as the restaurants know it's a prime event to make a lot of money for people who want a night out. There will also be a lot of people drinking and "partying" in public on the major streets in the center of the city -- again, like most large cities. If you like that kind of thing, you might just want to wing it and walk around and see what you find. There should be large crowds of people around the Champs-Elysees, bd St Germain and bd St Michel in the Latin Qtr, and around place de la Bastille.

Occasionally they have had fireworks that night (notably, the millennium), but that is not typical.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I just checked my souvenir menu from the restaurant we ate NYE dinner, Le Tastevin on Ile St. Louis. We paid 90 euro per person without drinks (but inclusive of a glass of champagne). It's a prix fixe meal and as I stated, it's a special menu for New Year's Eve.

I guess I really enjoyed NYE as it was my first Parisian NYE. But it can get crazy. I would never go nor recommend going to the Champs Elysees or even to the Champ de Mars/Eiffel Tower area. I've never gone to either place during New Year's as I was cautioned by local acquaintances and the hotel not to go. It's just too chaotic and dangerous.

Even at Parvis some people were very rowdy and the next day there were a few visible broken bottles scattered on the sidewalks.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping for $75 each. I don't like the idea of the mobs at the Champs-Elysses though so it's probably worth going over budget to enjoy a nice dinner instead. Those that go to dinner on NYE, do they dine until about 11pm or is it customary for restaurants to be open past midnight that night?
I have to say thank you to those who responded so thoughtfully! I will definitely make use of the sites that were posted for further info.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Le Tastevin included the glass of champagne to toast the new year. So yes they opened past midnight and I am sure so do other restaurants. In fact, those that are open must have celebrations at midnight too.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Make your reservations for 21:15 (9:15 pm) and be there at midnight. Most restaurants will close not long past midnight so that everyone can go home.

If you got for a walk along the Seine, left or right bank, at midnight, you'll find other people out for a walk, celebrating, drinking champagne and watching the lights of the Eiffel Tower, but those from the burbs will be cutting the night short as they have to catch the last free metro home. Overall, you'll find Paris ville fairly quiet by 1:30.