New To The Traveling Scene-?'s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next summer ('04), I am leaving the country to go to Germany. I have never left the USA before, so I was wondering if anyone can give me some hints and tips on what Germany is like. My boyfriend and his family invited me. Since he is no longer in the U.S.A, I don't have the opprotunity to talk to him as much about what Germany is like. Would anyone please help me? I'm staying there for a month. In our plans, we're going to Paris and then I think we might go to Italy. What are the people like? Is the food great? All help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a 16 year old girl lost and would love to learn more about the German culture. I am already starting to research about the country and trying to learn some of the language. If anyone can give me their perspective on traveling to Germany and the surrouding regions, it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:57 AM

Hi,
it sounds like this German guy was an exchange student who has just returned to his home country.
I hope the two of you can keep this relationship going - cause it will be a great experience for you to go abroad!

Well, I was an exchange student myself about 10 years ago. (Didn't fall in love with an American boy though ;-)) And if you care to talk to somebody from Germany about your travel plans, you're welcome to mail me at [email protected]
Unfortunately I leave tomorrow to spend 3 days in Heidelberg, but after that I'd happily mail you back
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi Lov,

While you wit for Kaschal to return, try the fodors.com guides to Germany, Italy and France.

You will find the people friendly, the countries beautiful and the food great.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:30 AM

16-year old girl lost? I hope you have a chaperone.

Germany's Bavarian area is my favorite.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Hey, I'm here until something like 6 a.m. East coast time...
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Oh lucky you! You're about to be bitten by the travel bug, so watch out! This trip is likely be the beginning of many lovely trips to Europe and other exciting places.

You're on the right track by starting to research the culture of Germany and the other countries you plan to visit. To learn about traveling in Europe, you might want to look at the Rick Steves travel guides. They may be available at your public library. There's also a website at www.ricksteves.com. He's a good source for first-time travelers. Undoubtedly, your boyfriend and his family will have some ideas and plans for you.

There's a lot of great info on this board, so learn to use the search function. Look at the top of the page you're on now. See the "text search" box? Just type in whatever you're looking for using as few words as possible. For example, "Munich restaurants" or "Paris metro." (Don't use quotes) Skip topic search box to the right and press "find." Look over to the left, where you'll see many messages from the archives on the subject you've requested.

Check back in here with specific questions as your plans become firmer.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Lovin-- you might want to start your research at the German Tourist Office website at "www.germany-tourism.de". Loads of info and an excellent place to start.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Hi,

I also met a German exchange student and ended up marrying him and I now live in Germany so be careful

I don't know that anyone can tell you what Germany is like, only their opinion of it. I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind and be ready for new experiences. If you can learn a bit of the language that will be a bonus. What part of Germany will you be travelling to? If you have any specific questions feel free to mail me. [email protected]
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone. I appreciate all your replies. I found that the websites that you told me about were very useful and quite informative.
Next summer, I will be in Frankfurt for a short bit. Then my boyfriend and I will be going to Paris for a day or two. I'm not sure. He says we might go to Venice and Rome. And I think we are going to the Czech Republic. I know he is not quite fond of going there, but I want to go to Prague because I heard that the shopping there is wonderful. Prices are fairly reasonable. I wouldn't know. I just heard that.
That is about all I know so far about the trip. I'm pretty sure I will be there in July. I'm staying for a month. Is that long enough? His parents have invited me to stay as long as I wish.
Okay, I have another dumb question for all of you travel experts. Do most Germans know English? I am attempting to learn German, but I am doing horribly. I know I have until next summer to improve, but do you think it would annoy people if I speak in English? Should I just say I don't speak German in German and ask them if they speak in English. I'm lost and I don't want my boyfriend and his family to translate everything little thing for me.
Thank you again for all the help. I appreciate it so much.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Lovin- In your age group, the vast majority will speak 'some' English, as it is required in the schools. In fact, they will enjoy practicing their English skills on you. They will also enjoy any attempt you make to speak their language and will be more than happy to assist you. Some older Germans, and those off the well-beated tourist routes might not speak English, but they almost routinely know and can find someone who does - usually one of their children. However, any German you can pick up before you leave will make your trip more pleasurable and exciting. Don't give up!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi LAGG,

I think that you are right in trying to learn German. Everyone you meet in Germany will be pleased that you tried.

Do they have German classes at your school?