new to european travel-advice please!

Jul 23rd, 1997, 12:47 AM
adrienne

new to european travel-advice please!

my husband and i are in our mid 30's and will be visiting switzerland for 1 week on a last minute, fully guided tour in sept. (we are thrilled!) we have been around the block, but never to europe! i am diabetic, so i need to be prepared. any advice on how the meals and foods differ from usa, weather conditions, altitude problems? any other cultural differences i should know about? also, what to shop for?(besides knives) are watches a great buy? any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 24th, 1997, 12:09 AM
Tricia

Adrienne, You don't say where in Switzerland your tour is taking you. I have a book written by Rick Steves and on Switzerland he says choose one area and savor it. And that area is Interlaken, which is a springboard for Alpine thrills. With decent weather explore Jungfrau and Murren. Or ideally, home base in the village of Gimmelwald and spend a day in each area. He says in Interlaken there is live TV coverage of the Jungfrau and Murren. Stay in Interlaken onky if you suffer from "alptitude" sickness otherwise stay in Gimmelwald.
For a mini composite of his book go to www.ricksteve's.com. You can also E-mail him and ask specific questions. Being that you are diabetic I would sure find out from either your tour operator or an expert like Mr. Reeves, who knows the score --in Europe anyway!! Have fun-We're going next week. I'll have to let you know how we like it. I want to see Matterhorn which is in Zermatt!!

Jul 24th, 1997, 12:38 AM
Tricia

Hi, Went surfing on net to see what else I could find you, Went into Alta Vista Search Engine and typed in "diabetic traveler in Europe" and up popped THE INFORMED PATIENT-HELP FOR ADJUSTING YOUR INSULIN SCHEDULE...
and it say "Travelers who have diabetes know that changing time zones can seriously disrupt their schedule of meals and insulin shots. Now, The Diabetic Traveler newsletter offers a creditr-card size guide to adjusting insulin doeses when journeying either east or west. The guide and a four page article on tips for international travel with diabetes are free from: The Diabetic Traveler, PO. Box 8223 RW, Stamford, CT 06905. Include a stamped self-addressed envelope. Also Rick's website offers videos on specific countries which might cover, culture, meals, shopping etc.

Jul 24th, 1997, 06:45 PM
Dennis Holland

Switzerland has three distinct language areas, Around Lake Geneva, French is spoken, Zurich, Bern and the Jungfrau and Lucerne region, German and the Ticino Canton-Lugano, is Italian. I found in the French region it is hard to get meals off-peak hours, like from 2pm-6pm, they eat dinner later. There are of course fast food restaurants and some cafeterias, but be sure to carry snack foods with you.
Dennis

Search this Thread