Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New rules for entry into France from the U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The U.S. Embassy in Paris published these rules today, effective September 12th:
Health Alert - U. S. Embassy Paris, France (September 10, 2021)Location: All of France

Event: The French government has published a notice stating that the United States will be dropped from the “Green” category of nations with respect to COVID-19 travel restrictions at midnight on September 12. As a result, travelers coming from the United States will now be subject to “Orange” country rules. Fully vaccinated travelers* will see no change in entry restrictions. Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated travelers will need a negative COVID test before departure and again upon arrival, self-isolate for seven days upon arrival, and take a PCR test at the end of the self-isolation period. Additional rules on departing France for the United States also come into effect.

Travelers to France:

Fully vaccinated travelers* face no restrictions on travel. Such travelers need to present their proof of vaccination (French government officials accept the CDC card for this purpose) and a sworn statement (normally provided by the airline) certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
* France considers
a traveler to be fully vaccinated two (2) weeks after the second dose of the Pfizer, Moderna, or AstraZeneca vaccines, and four weeks after the single dose of the Johnson&Johnson/Jansen vaccine. No other vaccines are acceptable.

Unvaccinated and Partially Vaccinated travelers must present a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure to France OR a negative antigen (rapid) test taken within 48 hours before departure to France.

IN ADDITION, unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers must

· Undergo a new antigen test or biological examination upon arrival in France (this is done at the airport; travelers who test positive may be quarantined for 10 days at their own expense);

· Self-isolate for seven days from arrival in France; and

· Take an additional PCR test at the end of the self-isolation period.

· These travelers must also provide a sworn statement (found here: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/conten...-anglaise.docx) certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 and agreeing to the testing and self-isolation requirements.

· Children under 12 are exempt from the testing rules.

All travelers must still have a valid passport (the U.S. emergency passport is not considered a valid passport to enter France). Short term U.S. citizen travelers (under 90 days) do not require a visa but could be asked for proof of resources and accommodation. Travelers planning to settle in France will require a long-stay visa, and travelers already residing in France will require their residence permit.

The U.S. Embassy cannot issue or assist with French visas and residence permits. The U.S. Embassy also cannot assist with any of the entry requirements to France. Please contact the nearest French Consulate in the United States for questions and assistance.

Travelers leaving France

Fully vaccinated travelers have no restrictions on leaving France for the United States or other Orange list country.

Unvaccinated and Partially Vaccinated travelers mustprovide a compelling reason for their travel. U.S. citizens and residents returning to the United States is a qualifying reason; foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens, will not be denied permission to leave. The full list of qualifying reasons and required documentation can be found on the required attestation form that must be completed before travel, and which is found here: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/conten...-anglaise.docx.

French Health Pass: The French Health pass requirements remain in effect for entrance to many locations in France, including museums, monuments, dining establishments, entertainment establishments, long distance transportation and some large shopping centers. Fully vaccinated travelers are urged to request the pass at least two weeks before their travel via https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr...gers?locale=en. Travelers who have not received the pass may obtain a temporary, 72-hour pass with a negative COVID test, available at most pharmacies in France and other testing centers. The U.S. Embassy cannot assist travelers with these requirements.

Actions to Take:

· Consult a medical professional if you have been in direct contact with an infected person within the past three weeks and have symptoms.

· Visit CDC’s website for information about COVID-19 and international travel

· Visit the French Ministry of Interior and French Foreign Ministry websites for the latest French entry rules and travel information.

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kerouac......thank you for posting this information. We are vaccinated and should arrive next week. But, what about the unvaccinated who got almost NO notice on this.....there are likely those that would be leaving tomorrow and arrive on the 12th.....almost no notice at all....would they even be able to get on a plane....tomorrow??? Regardless of your feelings on vacs vs unvacs.....and, I am pro vacs, it seems a bit more time after the new laws would have been the better thing to do............at least enough to cancel all your reservations...
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 07:27 AM
J62

I agree that getting vaccinated is a personal choice, but with that choice may come consequences such as this, and I respectfully disagree about no notice to the unvaccinated. Anyone who is planning travel already knows that rules may be changing daily and has booked travel fully knowing and accepting that risk.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 07:51 AM

J62,,,,of course, you are right. I am having a difficult time with it I am totally pro vaccine, but, I have friends who are good people, generous, kind, but who are surely against vaccines in general. How to bring this together in my mind??? Sometimes there is just a mind set one cannot understand......
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Traviata
J62,,,,of course, you are right. I am having a difficult time with it I am totally pro vaccine, but, I have friends who are good people, generous, kind, but who are surely against vaccines in general. How to bring this together in my mind??? Sometimes there is just a mind set one cannot understand......
I agree, some perfectly sensible and good people are anti-vax. My cousin and her husband, for example, both are very well educated and held high positions. But unvaccinated, she’s 76 and he 81! The only consolation is they’re basically staying home and not going anywhere or seeing anyone, she hasn’t stepped out of the house in over 18 months! What do you say and how do you convince them…?
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 08:36 AM

I guess if you don’t step out of your house you are fairly safe, but I wouldn’t want to live that way. I spend more time at home than before the pandemic, but go on shopping trips, and enjoy visiting my daughter and 4 y.o. granddaughter from time to time. I wouldn’t feel safe doing that if I weren’t fully vaccinated.

Most of us grew up receiving all sorts of vaccinations, and I don’t understand the mindset of those refusing Covid-19 vaccine. Those of us who are older remember some of our classmates wearing braces on their legs from polio, getting measles and other nasty diseases that are rare these days thanks to immunisations.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Kerouac, Thank you so much. I've been going bonkers trying to figure out where things stand and had resigned myself to spending the day reading and rereading sites here and elsewhere to be sure I have the latest. This board is so lucky to have you.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by geetika
I agree, some perfectly sensible and good people are anti-vax. My cousin and her husband, for example, both are very well educated and held high positions. But unvaccinated, she’s 76 and he 81! The only consolation is they’re basically staying home and not going anywhere or seeing anyone, she hasn’t stepped out of the house in over 18 months! What do you say and how do you convince them…?
Given their age, they probably were vaccinated for the smallpox, and may have received the DPT, and maybe even the polio vaccine but simply do not remember. I am of that generation and do not recall my smallpox vaccination, but do recall the other two.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 10th, 2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 03:02 AM

They should never have accepted unvaccinated tourists but probably they wanted as many tourists as possible when infections were low.

People from other EU countries can still be unvaccinated and enter France though.

Macron's pass sanitaire scheme, which isn't strictly being observed based on my experiences in Chamonix and Annecy currently, is said to have boosted overall vaccinations. So unvaccinated EU residents can visit France but maybe they have difficulties accessing certain venues unless they go to a pharmacy and get an antigen test, which will give them a 3-day digital pass.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 11:39 AM

I think the important thing to note in that announcement, which is easy to overlook is that unvaccinated travelers are not even allowed into France now just for tourism, there had to be a compelling essential reason.

The US Embassy in the US announced this on Twitter and said unvaccinated tourists from the US are not allowed. That's what being on the orange list means, that you have to have a compelling reason to visit, in addition to all the other things, if you do.

see
https://us.france.fr/en/holiday-prep...us-info-france

Last edited by Moderator1; Sep 11th, 2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: deleted comments inappropriate for the travel forums
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 12:50 PM

Tried to apply but e- mail returned …so will hope for the best once in Paris…am fully vaccinated etc a d will get tested 72 h prior.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Forum Moderator

A reminder to please keep comments relevant to the topic of travel regulations and entry to France. Comments about pro-vax or anti-vax ideology, or attacks on others will be deleted.