Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New Question about Photos - How can I get them in order taken w/o looking at prop of ea one ?

New Question about Photos - How can I get them in order taken w/o looking at prop of ea one ?

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying out a few of the photo web sites and I noticed my pictures are not in the order they were taken.

Does anyone know of a way I can put my photos in date order taken prior to uploading them to a web site or can I do it after I upload it to a website such as Kodakgallery or Flickr or Webshots..These are the 3 I am trying so far. I plan on trying a few more.

There has to be a better way than looking on the properties of each photo then make a note of date and time of each photo on paper then going back and putting them in order....Every trip I go on has hundreds and hundreds of photo's...if I did this it would take years....

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:48 AM

I download pictures to my computer using Kodak Easy Share software, they always load in the order I've taken them. Then it's one click on Express upload to transfer them to Kodak Gallery ( Ofoto) , and they transfer in correct possition
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:53 AM

I use Shutterfly and at the bottom of the screen you can organize the photos by name which is the number assigned to each picture taken. If you have not renamed the pics, this will put them back in order. There are other choices for sorting as well.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:45 AM

If there's a computer stage involved, can you not use Windows Explorer (or the equivalent in other operating systems) to look at the list of files? That should show you the date and time of creation and allow you to order them. Most cameras would normally give them a file name/number in chronological sequence.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

jody..I understand what you are saying

But I uploaded them from my computer off the compact flash card and it appears that even those are not in the order taken. It seems that if you delete pictures through out the day this creates some sort of space on the cf card so new pictures taken can then be put in those places. At least this is what my DH says. I often times take 2 - 3 or more pictures of one thing in hopes of getting the best one. As I look at them at lunch or when we stop for a rest or coffee or something I look at them and delete the ones I know I definitely don't want making more room on my cf card since I have been know to run out of room.

So I need to figure out a way to put them in chronological order before I upload them. This is where I need the help.

Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:15 AM

If your PC is running XP, open an Explorer window to the directory with the pictures in, from the "View" menu, go to "arrange icons by" and select "picture taken on".
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:29 AM

I just uploaded a bunch of photos to www.photoworks.com

One of my display option was by date. Tried it and it worked....they were in the order I took them.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh My God Maria H....I did that and it worked...it worked...God I am so excited...you have no idea how long I have been pondering this and doing it one by one....Praise the Lord....I now know Fodorites are akin to GOD !!!!
I am just so excited about this...you guys have no idea how many pictures I have from trips...and weddings..and on on ...this is just so exciting...this is better than S_X !!!!!!!