New Passport Regulations - Early Renewal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our passports don't expire until October, 2007. We will be using them this year over the Christmas Holidays through Jan. 5, 2007.

We had planned to renew them early in 2007.

I was totally unaware of the new passport regulations for Canada, Mexico, etc.. that are going into effect at the end of '06 and the rest by the end of '07, until I just read a recent post.

Since we won't be using our current passports until December of this year, would there be any benefit (time-wise - beating the crowds type of thing) if I renewed them in the next month or so? We will have plenty of time, three or four months before our December departure.

Does anyone have any idea how they will renew/change the zillions of passports that will flood in for these changes? I'm assuming that we will all have to do it by a certain date.

Thanks,

Nina
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
P_M

I agree there will be a flood of applications for new passports, but in your situation I would wait and renew after your upcoming trip. It's possible that rush has already begun, which could delay your renewal.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
J62

I would not expect a mad rush on the US passport office. The US public isn't likely to file for passports en masse in the middle of the winter Jan 2007, or any other time for that matter.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM

I'm missing something Nina -- what do you mean by the zillions of passports that will be renewed/changed? I would think the Dept of State will expect many NEW applications, from people who do/will travel back and forth; but how does this affect someone who already has a valid passport?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 12:59 PM

I agree with P_M. Renewing them now could be worse than doing it next year.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM
J62

Hmmm. P_M. You and I usually agree on travel matters. The American public isn't always known for doing things well in advance.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM
ira

Hi N,

As far as I can see from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
the only difference is that you now have to have a passport to go to some countries that you didn't need to have one before.

If you have a passport good through Oct, 2007 the new rules shouldn't affect you.

Is there something else happening?

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Assuming the State Department has it right about it taking "up to six weeks" would you rather wait the six weeks NOW or the six weeks LATER?????
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Let me attempt to clarify my confusion (is that an oxi-moron or what)

I guess that there is something about this that I am not understanding (won't be the first or the last time).

The post that got me started on this whole thing, was in response to someone asking why it is taking so long to get their renewed passports back.

In his response the poster said that it may be taking longer for passport renewals to be returned because people were rushing to get their's in before the new regulations go into effect. (after Dec. 31, 2006)

I know that the initial new regulations will not effect our travels this year.

Aside from all of us having to renew our passports when they expire, per usual .... what will we have to do OR will we have to do anything at all with our existing passports as long as they are still valid?

How will the changes be accomplished???

Just before I posted, I read on the Government website that the changes, whatever they are, something about allowing us back into the US, will go into effect for Canada, etc.. after Dec 31, '06.

OK, now I'm really confused. Does everyone but DH and I know about these new regulations???

Nina
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
ira

Dear Nina,

You can read the regs at the website I posted.

The only difference is that you now need a passport for certain travel.

If you are going to Europe, nothing has changed.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am one of those Americans who like to take care of things as far in advance as possible. That way I can start worrying about the next crisis ;-)

Nina
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM
P_M

I like to take care of things in advance too, Nina, but I guess you and I are the oddballs.

But having said that, I would still wait until you get back from your trip. The passports you have now are fine, so wait and renew them when you return.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, I didn't see your post, as while I was writing my subsequent post, I got intrupted and it sat on my screen for about a half an hour before I actually hit post. THEN I read your's.

You guys are too fast for me.

Thanks so much, now on to the next (so far un-named dilema).

Asking questions here, is like having a friend in the business.

Nina

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Nina. Our passports were not due to expire until Jan. 2007. We won't need them until our October trip.

We decided to renew early, because I also like to take care of thinks early. Also, I thought maybe the passport office would be jammed up because of people rushing to get new passports by the end of the year.

I didn't realize they send the old passports back to you. We have a lot of stamps from Asia that bring back memories. It is nice to still have them.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM

There is no change in the passport system. Only some new countries you need passports to get back from. If you have a passport it is still good until the date listed. Then you would have to get a new one - just like before.

The only big difference is people who go ONLY to Canada, Mexico etc - places that you didn't need passports for before and now do.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Whew!!

Nina
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:57 PM

A friendly reminder to renew your passport at least 6 months before it expires as some countries will not accept a passport with an expiration date less than 6 months. Hope that made sense!!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

I always renew early, and been doing so since my first passport many years ago. It was so much faster and cheaper then, and I cringe every time I have to renew - the new amount always amazes me.

For my Oct. '07 expiration date, I would normally start the renewal procedure in March or April if we have no trips planned durning that time period.

I'm never comfortable if my passport is out of my possesion - especially because sometimes we are able to plan last minute trips.

Nina

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I sent my passport renewal in eight weeks ago. They keep changing the date that I should expect it. As of today I'm supposed to get it 'on or about' 15 July. The delays are beginning to annoy me.

My partner sent his in last year in February and got it back in two weeks.

Perhaps, the best solution would be to renew them next January when you come home from your trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM

My passport is valid till December 2008, it means one less person in line in front of you Relax, it won't be as bad as you think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -