Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   new motor way from galway to dublin? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/new-motor-way-from-galway-to-dublin-858012/)

efitzger Sep 5th, 2010 01:15 PM

new motor way from galway to dublin?

hello, I am trying to decide whether to make a round trip flight from dublin (which is less a one way to dublin and return from shannon both with car rental and with flight). I read this statement on a website...

NEW MOTORWAY FROM DUBLIN TO GALWAY....From Liffey Valley to Oranmore Roundabout, clocked at 1hr 45mins leaving at non-rush hour time. Rush hour, add 15 mins.

Is this true? In this case, woulnd't it be faster to drive to dublin the morning of our flight as opposed to shannon from galway?

flanneruk Sep 5th, 2010 01:35 PM

"In this case, woulnd't it be faster to drive to dublin the morning of our flight as opposed to shannon from galway? "

Almost certainly not.

You've got to negotiate the M50 at the Dublin end. As in any town, the peripheral motorway at rush hour is an uncertainty, and the real time from Galway to Dublin airport depends on a host of imponderables - most of which won't apply to the more predictable journey from Galway to Shannon.

BUT this, again, reminds us all that there are now proper motorways from the Dublin area to the intra Ireland border, to Galway and to Cork - all getting you there faster than the train does. So the old argument that you can't do medium-distance daytrips frfom Dublin is beginning, for many places, to be out of date.

SusieKay Sep 5th, 2010 02:41 PM

We made the drive from Galway to Dublin quite easily on the motorway last year-though I think some parts of it may not have been open all the way then. However, we did it the afternoon BEFORE our flight home, and spent the night prior to our flight in an airport hotel. We were so glad we did, as we found the signage around the airport horrible-it took us forever to locate the rental car return amongst many construction detours-and rental car personnel very slow to process us in. The hour or two it took us to do this was truly the most stressful part of our entire two week trip.!!

efitzger Sep 5th, 2010 04:24 PM

wow - what car rental place did you get your car from?

SusieKay Sep 6th, 2010 05:02 AM

Budget. Other than being slow, we had no problems with the car or the rental company-we just found the area around and within the airport a real mess of construction and lack of directional signs. We didn't have any difficulty driving away from it, but it was entirely different returning.
Also be aware that there are tolls on parts of the M-50 and be sure to read the insert given to you with your rental papers or ask at the counter to have the system explained to you as the toll collection is different from anything we have encountered in the US.

janisj Sep 6th, 2010 10:31 PM

"<i>wow - what car rental place did you get your car from?</i>"

It really won't matter which agency - They are all mostly inside the airport perimeter.