Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   New info - Santorini, Mykonos & Athens???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/new-info-santorini-mykonos-and-athens-79200/)

Leslie Jul 12th, 2000 11:04 AM

New info - Santorini, Mykonos & Athens????

I just found out that we can also get hotels in Santorini(VILLA VEDEMA HOTEL) and Mykonos(HOTEL SANTA MARINA <BR>). Now is it possible to combine Athens with either one of these islands or both in 5 days? Thanks! <BR>Leslie

Kristina Jul 12th, 2000 12:16 PM

Hi Leslie <BR> <BR> I haven't seen your first question yet, but i would combine Athens and Mykonos on a five day trip. 2 Days in Athens is plenty, it's dirty - smog typical city. Mykonos is great for three days - 1 to sight see, 1 for the beach and 1 for a side trip to the island of Delos. You take a boat and walk around this uninhabited island very interesting and lost of ruins. As far as hotels, Vedema in Santorini was nice, I don't know Santa Marina in Mykonos, but the best hotel I ever stayed in in my life was in Mykonos The Club Kivotos Have a great time <BR> <BR>

Thyra Jul 12th, 2000 12:24 PM

Leslie, I am pretty sure you will have to fly to either Santorini or Mykonos since I believe the ferry is an overnight trip from Athens. Luckily the flights are not very expensive, we recently booked 3 flights for 2 people from Athens to Mykonos, Mykonos to Santorini and Santorini back to Athens on Olympic Airways for $330.00 TOTAL. Go to Santorini for the Scenery (apparently some of the most impressive in the world) Mykonos for Parties (some of the most impressive in the world) however you might want to find out what the status of these islands will be during your trip (November isn't it?) find out which one is more likly to shut down. My instinct tells me that Santorini is your best bet since the Caldera is unlike any place else on earth, and Mykonos is known as a summer hot spot for night life which may not be as active during the time of your trip. I would be interested in what others think.

Mikki Jul 12th, 2000 01:13 PM

Hi, I just returned 2 days ago from a trip that included Athens and Santorini. <BR>We stayed 2 nights at Vedema and 2 nights on the caldera (at Atlantis Villas in Oia). The service was wonderful at Vedema but you will probably want a car to get around. Don't miss Oia and the boat excursion to the volcano. The scenery is unbelievable in Santorini. The people are also very friendly. (Try the Blue Sky restaurant in Oia). Let me know if you want more info.

Leslie Jul 12th, 2000 06:28 PM

Oops, not remembering my etiquette here, sorry! We will be going the first of Dec. so I didn't know if going to one of the islands would be a good idea. Thanks for the advice on finding out which island shuts down. Didn't even think about that. There is also a hotel in Thessaloniki we could stay in. So I guess my question is if I had to choose between the islands in Dec. or driving up to Thessaloniki, which would you choose? <BR>Leslie

Diane Jul 12th, 2000 10:06 PM

December seems a bit late to be traveling to the islands. I think many of the hotels are closed. Both the Santa Marina and Villa Vedema are part of the Starwood Collection (Sheraton, Westin). The Villa Vedema looks nice, but is not on the Caldera; keep that in mind. Although Mykonos is known as a party island, there won't be much happening there in December, and that could be a plus. Santorini is breathtaking anytime. Expect cold weather at that time of year. I was there in late April. Got there on a rainy evening. It was cold then.