Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   New Hilton Garden Inn Hotel at Rome Fiumicino Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/new-hilton-garden-inn-hotel-at-rome-fiumicino-airport-677155/)

Flame123 Feb 5th, 2007 11:34 PM

New Hilton Garden Inn Hotel at Rome Fiumicino Airport

I have been reading about this new hotel and wanted to hear if anyone has stayed there and what are your opinions. It is almost half the price of the "old" Hilton Rome airport hotel, but it says it is 2 km out of the airport. On the other hand, it bills itself as being "in" the airport. So which one is it?

Thanks for any help.

Steve_James Feb 6th, 2007 06:25 AM

Hi Flame - The Italian version lists it as 2km from the airport.

It lists a free shuttle bus to the terminals.

http://tinyurl.com/2j6stk

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Flame123 Feb 6th, 2007 09:08 PM

Thanks for that site Steve and your help.

Anyone else?

jabez Feb 7th, 2007 04:15 AM

Here's a review from a thread at Flyert Talk:
"Hotel:
It has all the same features that we are used to in a HGI but done in european style. Which makes it a more stylish hotel. They had not finished the 5th and 6th floors as of 12/31/06 but looked pretty close. The location of the property is about 10 minutes (max) shuttle from the airport.

Staff:
Excellent. English was excellent and the service was top notch. I dont know if it was just that the hotel was new and not busy so they had a little more enthusiasm but they did a great job and made for a nice trip.

Facilities:
There are not microwaves in the rooms but they do have a microwave room with two microwaves. There is a workout room with basic workout equipment. A laundry room was on site but it was not functioning last week. There is also a pantry with some basic items including some food/snack items.

Shuttles:
They have their own shuttle and it does not run on a schedule but rather you just call or tell them when you need it. When you arrive at the airport you can call or if you dont have the number just walk over to the Hilton and ask them to call for you. You can also use the Hiltons shuttle to Rome and when you arrive back at the Hilton just ask the front desk or bell desk to call the HGI shuttle for you. A couple of times the bell desk guys grabbed the keys to one of their vans and just took us over.

Restuarant:
Food menu was not extensive but had enough and prices are decent especially when compared to the FCO Hilton and I thought the drink prices where pretty good too. I paid 5 euro for a house glass of whine and you can get a bottle for like 17 euro. A normal entree on the menu was about 10 euro I think.

Rooms:
Stylish and functional and the size of the room was standard by european standards I think. The room was comfortable and nice but nothing exceptional I dont think. They have free wireless and wired internet and you just get a code from the front desk. The only thing I didnt like about the room was the shower. It was not constructed in such a way to keep the way in the shower/tub area. So, plan on a wet floor unless they improve it.

Diamond Treatment:
I had a rate that included breakfast but did ask if it would be included if I did not have it already and they confirmed I would be given breakfast as a Diamond. I was also given coupons for a bottle of water for each day of our stay. I didnt see many bigger sized rooms on the floor plan on the door even though they list some suites on the web site.

Relationship with Hilton FCO:
These properties are managed as a cluster. I sent an email about my stay and got a response from the general manager and it had "Cluster General Manager Rome Airport and Hilton Garden Inn Airport".

Summary:
We enjoyed our stay a very much at this property. I would be interested to see how they perform after it gets busier as the hotel was less than 10% during our stay. I have some photos which I can post later if anyone is interested as I dont know if they have any up on the Hilton site yet"

Flame123 Feb 7th, 2007 05:35 AM

Thanks jabez, I had seen that review, along with all the others. I wanted to hear from someone on this board who might have actually stayed there.

Thanks again.