Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New FAA Regulations: Only 1 carry-on allowed

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Mariarosa

According to the newest FAA press release (10/8/02), only one carry-on bag and 1 item of a "personal nature" (purse or briefcase) will be allowed on planes per person. You can read the new regulations on:
http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1419

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:17 PM
JOdy

It's about time , now if they just enforce it!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:51 AM
celia

FINALLY!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Howard

In addition, according to today's NY Times, The FAA says that the following items cannot be hand-carried onto a plane: box cutters, baseball bats, pool cues, hockey sticks, golf clubs, ski poles, iced picks, corkscrews, straight razors, metal scissors and metal nail files.
The following are now permitted: nail clippers, tweezers, eyelash curlers, safety razors including disposable razors. Syringes "with documented proof of medical neet" and walking canes and umbrellas, after inspection, will also be allowed.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:19 AM
ME

THANK GOD THANK GOD IT IS ABOUT TIME. NOW ENFORCE IT. NO MORE OF THE SO CALLED IMPORTANT PEOPLE DRAGGING ON THEIR DAMN STEAMER TRUNKS BECAUSE THEY ARE SO IMPORTANT THAT THEY JUST CAN NOT WAIT FOR LUGGAGE. HOOOOOOORAY HOOOOOOORAY THANK YOU FAA THANK YOU THANK YOU. I AM THE HAPPIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD TO HEAR THIS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:00 AM
xxx

This is not a big change is it? How those huge bags compare with my small backpack? Maybe we should start talking about sizes of carry-on. I agree with with ME but we should ask FAA to implement some rules on sizes. Anyone knows how to go about sending such suggestion to FAA?

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Joanne

The following FAA site has lots of useful information, including the e-mail address for public comments.

http://www.faa.gov/apa/pi1main.htm

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:51 AM
zz-top

I'd heard snippet of news story last night & wanted the full report. Already posted on another similar topic -- thanks for update!!!

This is long overdue. And even if folks still drag on a larger sized piece (cuz you KNOW they're gonna try schlepping their darn steamer trunk on anyhow), at least it's only one and not two. The true test of their enforcement will come in a few months when folks are traveling around Christmas season --- then they really push the envelope trying to drag on their rollaboard with umpteen shopping bags of gifts.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Ka-Boom!

Howard,

Are you sure your list of banned items is comprehensive? Can I bring my Uzi and some plastic explosives?

Given how lame the FAA is, I feel like I gotta ask.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Howard

Sorry, Ka-Boom, but the Uzi stays home.
The list I posted is obviously are items in addition to those previously banned!