Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   New Camera-best photo op's in Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/new-camera-best-photo-ops-in-paris-brussels-and-amsterdam-677165/)

Katie7 Feb 6th, 2007 02:44 AM

New Camera-best photo op's in Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam

Hi:

We just bought a digital camera and will be visiting Paris, Giverny, Brugges, Brussels and the Amsterdam area in early May. Can anyone suggest places for great photo op's. Looking for gardens, fountains, great views, architecture, scenes characteristic of each country. We will not have a car in Paris and Belgium, but will in Netherlands.

Thanks!

nbodyhome Feb 6th, 2007 04:48 AM

I think the best photo opps are the ones you find yourself. Giverny is easy, of course. But why not just wander the cities and find the different items you are looking for? I plan to walk from the Vincennes park area in Paris, where I'll be staying, into central Paris. It's a few miles, and I expect to find some lovely photo opportunities along the way.

hanl Feb 6th, 2007 04:57 AM

If you like architecture, in Brussels, make sure you follow one of the Art Nouveau walks (most of the main guide books seem to include one) that take you past some incredible and beautiful buildings.

luvparee Feb 6th, 2007 09:48 AM

I have always had "theme days" in addition to "regular" photos, and kind of concentrate on themes in my taking of pictures in Paris -- doors, architectural elements, store windows, food, the Eiffel Tower from every angle possible, gardens, street lamps, cafes/restaurant fronts, fountains, etc., etc.

There are alot of sites that Google can bring up to give you some wonderful ideas.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

Barb_in_Ga Feb 6th, 2007 06:41 PM

My favorite place for photos in Paris in the spring would be the gardens at the Rodin. Fabulous roses, and a great chance to line up a shot of "The Thinker" with the golden dome of Les Invalides and the Eiffel tower.

Like luvparee, I also like to pick a theme: doors, windows, metro signs, shop windows, and others that I can't recall.

Travelnut Feb 6th, 2007 06:52 PM

Practice taking night photos before you go.. I haven't mastered those at all with my digital. It seems to be more affected by the slightest movement of the camera - shots are not clear enough.

There was a discussion elsewhere about it being illegal to take photographs of people (at least in France) without their permission. A street shot with people in the background might be ok, but a photo of a chic lady sitting on a cafe terrace might not be. Wonder if any Fodorites can speak with authority on this...

Katie7 Feb 7th, 2007 02:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Travelnut: I think you might need a tripod for night photos. My camera guide recommends one.

Katie

ira Feb 7th, 2007 03:57 AM

Hi K,

You will get better pics of any major tourist sight by buying postcards.

The best pics are the ones you come upon by accident.

Enjoy your camera.

((I))

hetismij Feb 7th, 2007 07:45 AM

If you have a car in the Netherlands, consider visiting either Zaanse Schans or Kinderdijk for windmills, lots of them! Zaanse Schans is closest to Amsterdam. Amsterdam its self is of course very picturesque. I don;t know how long you have in the Netherlands, butyou could also visit the Delta works or the Afsluitdijk. If you go over the Afsluitdijk you come to Friesland, full of lakes, pretty villages, old harbours (Harlingen is a favourite)and Franeker with a lovely old wooden planetarium.
Closer to Amsterdam you have Naarden, an old fortified town, and Bunschoten-Spakenburg, an old fishing village where traditional dress is still worn. It is a lot less touristy than Volendam too. Not far way is also Paleis Soestdijk, home to the late queen Juliana, now open to the public (www.paleissoestdijk.nl) - tickets must be bought online in advance.

hetismij Feb 7th, 2007 07:46 AM

Forgot to add that in May you should stillsee tulips if you head up north f Zaanse Schans, or over to the KEukenhof gardens!

johnnycoyote Feb 7th, 2007 08:41 AM

I'm a photographer and was greatly inspired on a recent trip to paris. The cemetary of Père Lachaise has some beautiful monuments and statues to photograph. The statues in the Jardin des tuileries also, or the horses on the roof of the grand palais, or the view over the 'pont alexandre III' one of the most beautiful bridges in the world with a view of the eiffel tower....Paris is really a living museum! Enjoy

Ida101 Feb 7th, 2007 08:58 AM

May is tuliptime in the Netherlands, so be sure to visit keukenhof.http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html

Katie7 Feb 8th, 2007 02:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!