Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   New Bus Routes in Paris -- Is There a Full Map with Streets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/new-bus-routes-in-paris-is-there-a-full-map-with-streets-1665553/)

ssander Apr 5th, 2019 02:29 AM

New Bus Routes in Paris -- Is There a Full Map with Streets?

Hi...

Going to Paris at the end of this month. I have checked out the RATP page describing the changes in the bus schedules and have downloaded the new line maps for my phone...but one thing is missing: In the past they have had a very detailed map showing the lines with streets. This is a PDF map, so it has infinite resolution when zooming in. I have found it very helpful in planning. Here is an image of a small part of it.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...6c40249ad9.jpg

Does such a map with the new line changes exist? If so, please supply the URL.

Thanks so much.

ssander

ssander Apr 5th, 2019 04:16 AM

To give you an idea of how cool this map is, here is a crop of a screen capture of it zoomed in really close. I found this incredibly useful. Hope someone knows where to find it...if it exists.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...55f7fed4a7.jpg

ssander

AJPeabody Apr 5th, 2019 04:17 AM

More important for those of us who like paper rather than a squinty little phone screen, has that greatly useful blue l'Indispensable Paris map book been updated? Is there a key route change easily found on a map that if not present will indicate an old edition?

kerouac Apr 5th, 2019 04:25 AM

I looked at the Paris map section at FNAC earlier this week but did not see any new bus maps yet, which is disgraceful.

Envierges Apr 5th, 2019 04:38 AM

A bus map NOT showing the new route of the #20 extension to Porte de Lilas would be pre the April 20 change. This is a big change for those of us who live east. This will follow, above ground from Republique, the #11 metro.

Also a new map will include the new route #71.

ssander Apr 5th, 2019 07:37 AM

Kerouac...

Indivudual route line maps are up as is a map without streets. First link is general info page...second is the list of links to individual line maps.

https://www.ratp.fr/nouveaubusparisien

https://outilanticipation.nouveaureseaubusparisien.fr/

ssander

kerouac Apr 5th, 2019 07:50 AM

I understand that. I was just saying that the shops of Paris should already have the new maps for sale. It is not the fault of the shops (probably, unless they are trying to dump their obsolete stock) -- it is the fault of the map publishers.

I have been following the implementation of the new bus routes very closely, because the bus line that I use the most often is one of the three lines being deleted completely. Grrrrr.

kerouac Apr 5th, 2019 07:56 AM

One thing that I have not been paying attention to is whether any of the paper maps in the metro stations have been changed yet. Probably not, because at the bus stops themselves, they have not changed the maps, even though the other modifications seem to be completed now except for revealing them. There are all sorts of hidden bus numbers on the bus stop signs and little stickers to show the bus line numbers still in service until April 20th. They are probably going to have a very busy night of work on April 19th.

AJPeabody Apr 5th, 2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Envierges (Post 16899279)
A bus map NOT showing the new route of the #20 extension to Porte de Lilas would be pre the April 20 change. This is a big change for those of us who live east. This will follow, above ground from Republique, the #11 metro.

Also a new map will include the new route #71.

Excellent, Envierges. Two easy ways to see if a map is current or obsolete. Thanks!

caze17 Apr 5th, 2019 04:57 PM

We used the bus a lot on our trip the last 2 weeks, and I'm glad to know that it's not just me who was frustrated with the maps available! Essentially, I just ended up using google maps to tell me the best bus route (by choosing the public transportation option towards the top of the "directions" section), and hope it was good. We were just going around central Paris, but it actually worked very well. I simply could not read the maps otherwise, and usually find myself to be good at that sort of thing. Best of luck!

Dee_Dee Apr 6th, 2019 08:31 AM

I love using the bus system in Paris! It is so convenient AND my old knees don't have to rebel against all the Metro steps. I've been using the CityMapper app for the last 3 years with great success. Does anyone know if an update is in progress?

kerouac Apr 6th, 2019 09:22 AM

One thing that should reassure tourists is that line 69, which is considered to be one of the most scenic, is not changing its route.

starrs Apr 6th, 2019 06:21 PM

Timely thread for me. I'm planning on using buses for my next trip and that will be new for me. caze17, I may depend on your tip. I loved HopStop for NYC (no longer available). Thanks DeeDee for the city mapper app suggestion. I hope they do an update soon.

Dee_Dee Apr 7th, 2019 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 16900097)
Timely thread for me. I'm planning on using buses for my next trip and that will be new for me. caze17, I may depend on your tip. I loved HopStop for NYC (no longer available). Thanks DeeDee for the city mapper app suggestion. I hope they do an update soon.

starrs, the CityMapper app is wonderful! It works for both Metro and buses in the city and day trips out to the Ile-de-France. After you enter a destination, the app gives you all potential options (bus and Metro lines), time for each option, how to walk to the metro or bus stop then when you get off, how to walk to your destination. When on buses, it even will tell you when to get off for your destination. There are so many bus lines in the city, you can get just about anywhere easily and above ground so you get to see streets, neighborhoods, shops, restaurants. LOVE the buses in Paris! I also get Navigo Decouverte weekly or monthly pass. It makes traveling around Paris so easy.

Dee_Dee Apr 7th, 2019 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 16900097)

starrs, the CityMapper app is wonderful! It works for both Metro and buses in the city and day trips out to the Ile-de-France. After you enter a destination, the app gives you all potential options (bus and Metro lines), time for each option, how to walk to the metro or bus stop then when you get off, how to walk to your destination. When on buses, it even will tell you when to get off for your destination. There are so many bus lines in the city, you can get just about anywhere easily and above ground so you get to see streets, neighborhoods, shops, restaurants. LOVE the buses in Paris! I also get Navigo Decouverte weekly or monthly pass. It makes traveling around Paris so easy.

starrs Apr 7th, 2019 07:49 AM

Thanks, DeeDee! It sounds great and very much like the former HopStop for NYC.
I use the subway and tube in NYC and London, but end up spending more $$$ to take cabs/ Lyft because I want to SEE the city. I've reconciled that it's just my preferred way to travel and don't really care about the cost. But I do love riding "long" routes in NYC so decided I would do the same on this next trip to Paris.

Thanks for the great information! I'll use the app you recommend!

Edited to add - I had lots of money left on my Oyster card and when I saw on FB that friends were in the airport, about to fly to London, I told them to come to One Flew South and take my card with them. They did! Glad someone could use the unused $. :-)

Dee_Dee Apr 7th, 2019 09:55 AM

Starrs, it sounds like the CityMapper app will be perfect for you. FYI, it works in London too! January 2018 after 4 weeks in Paris, I went to London for 3 weeks. When I opened the app in London it said - "it looks like you aren't in Paris anymore. Are you in London?" LOL! I rented an apartment in Kensington and used mostly buses. It works great in London too. Nice of you to give your leftover Oyster Card monies to friends! I'm sure they appreciated it. FYI, next time though, you can get a refund for any monies leftover on your card before you leave.

Have you familiarized yourself with Paris' Navigo Decouverte bus/metro pass? It is soooo much easier to use than the Oyster Card. One flat fee per week (or month). You pay once for unlimited travel and never have to top the card off with more money. Here's some information: https://parisbytrain.com/paris-train...go-decouverte/ If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

starrs Apr 7th, 2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dee_Dee (Post 16900382)
FYI, next time though, you can get a refund for any monies leftover on your card before you leave.

Have you familiarized yourself with Paris' Navigo Decouverte bus/metro pass? It is soooo much easier to use than the Oyster Card. One flat fee per week (or month). You pay once for unlimited travel and never have to top the card off with more money. Here's some information: https://parisbytrain.com/paris-train...go-decouverte/ If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

I knew that. I thought I'd save it for a return visit, but when my friends were on the same concourse I just sent a message to them and gave it to them.

No, but this sounds great. I'll check out the link and get back to you. :-)

Christina Apr 7th, 2019 11:14 AM

The city always has given out paper busline maps for free for decades. Those little booklets sold in shops are for-profit publishers, of course. But the city has always given them out, a big paper map, called "Grand Plan Lignes et Rues" . It is free. The map (labelled number 2, they used to have a no.l 1 map that was more detailed but haven't seen it in some years) has the metro/RER system on one side and the busline system on the other. Sure, it's an overview and not as detiled with every stop like the individual line maps you can print from their website, but I find it very useful for toting around. It's detailed enough that you can tell the streets the line runs along, bus stops aren't ever that far apart. All you have to do is ask a window clerk for one.

Hope they haven't stopped those, I haven't asked for one in over a year but can't hurt to ask. It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped giving those away, though, what with all the interactive stuff, to save money.

kerouac Apr 7th, 2019 07:43 PM

The RATP still gives out those maps free. Unless you specify you want the large version, they give you the small one.