Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NEW and clean pension in vienna, budapest and prague

May 19th, 2002, 09:36 AM
james

Hi,

I am going to the above three cities in September. Am looking for afforable pensions. The pensions do not have to be "grand" but my main requirements are the pensions must be NEW and clean.(opened/built/renovated within the past two years or so). Location must be convenient for sight-seeing too.

My budget is around USD40.

Appreciate if anyone can help.

May 19th, 2002, 10:14 AM
x

Why do you care how long the damn place has been open? So you can scam them (since they probably haven't had cheapskates like you there yet)

forget my suggestion about $50 you couldn't afford it

May 19th, 2002, 10:37 AM
mark

James -
The Gellert Hotel has single rooms for around $40 - they are very small - modest to say the least - but use of the baths and breakfast is included. There is also a B&B that a couple people here have tried - inexpensive - near the Gellert. Which is a great location. As for Vienna - the pension I stayed at was around $75 in December - great location, just off the Graben. As for Prague - going there October for the first time.

May 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
x

not a good recommendation, Mark, because his majesty james INSISTS that it be less than 2 years old. The Gellert is not good enough for him.

May 19th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Denise

You're missing the boat if you don't stay at Pension Nossek on the Graben (old center of Vienna) a block from the Hofburg palace and many other attractions. Their telephone # is 43 1 533 70 41 0. Their fax is 535 36 46. It's old but totally charming. When we were there last year a string quartet played Mozart and Strauss outside our window--you can hardly beat that!! Please consider it--we loved it.

May 19th, 2002, 12:34 PM
x

not a good recommendation, Denise, because his majesty james INSISTS that it be less than 2 years old. The Nossek is not good enough for him.

May 19th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Leslie

I am the one that stayed at the B&B that is behind the Gellert Hotel, but the B&B was built prior to 1920, and although it is being constantly rehabilitated (it was while I was there) it doesn't seem to fit James criteria for either the age or the price. By the way, I loved staying at the Kalmar B&B, and many others have stayed there since my trip in March, and have also had a very pleasant stay.

May 20th, 2002, 09:58 AM
james

Never realised that my preference to stay in a new pension would offend Mr X. Have I posted an inappropriate question? Is Mr X the moderator of this forum? Would someone pls enlighten me?

Thank you.

May 21st, 2002, 03:43 PM
mary

your question was totally appropriate..
i do not have a specific suggestion as to places but a general comment. watch out where you stay in both prague and vienna if you are a light sleeper. the "Ring" is quite noisy in Vienna as are many portions of old town prague. we preferred staying in the lesser town area there and will never stay on the ring again...earplugs and sleeping pills did not even do the trick!

May 22nd, 2002, 01:29 AM
brownie

Hi James,

It's just not common that a priority for a place to be how old it is - well usually older the better to most people.

Why two years BTW?

Well we've stayed in an apartment in Prague .. I've posted about it many times. It comes to US$30/night. But it's more than 2 years old.

May 22nd, 2002, 08:18 AM
other suggestions?

ttt

May 22nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Leslie

Unfortunately, James has put too many limitations on his request. It's very difficult to recommend lodging for a single at a price not to exceed $40 per night during high/shoulder season, and that the pension be relatively new "(opened/built/renovated)". A more realistic figure would be in the $60 to $80 range during this time period, but it would still be difficult with James' 2-year requirement. However, James might be able to find this type of lodging if he does not want to be centrally located, and doesn't mind taking a bus, train or tram. My only other suggestion would be to contact each city's tourist office (normally located at the train station) upon arrival for last minute lodging. Also, in Prague and Budapest if you are willing to take a chance, there are apartment owners that rent their apartments out. Most of these people hang out at the train station and approach tourists. Some of the lodgings are really quite nice, but I suggest you look first before out of pocketing any cash.

James, I strongly suggest that you review your requirements and instead of "new" you think of value, location, safety and cleanliness.

When I was in Budapest in March, the best rate that I could find was approximately $42 per night and that was during low season. Granted, I stayed for an extended number of nights, and my ultimate rate was $32 per night (owner advertised 1 night free for every 4), but that was during low season. During high season, the rate is triple. However, if you are interested in staying in a private home, I do know of an owner that was recommended to me that charges $20 per night for a large room with private bath and breakfast, however, it is a 20-30 minute ride on the metro. The accommodations are very satisfactory, as I have a friend that stays with this family on an annual basis. I chose not to stay at this location because I did not want to spend the time traveling on the metro.

May 22nd, 2002, 10:22 AM
x

not a good recommendation, Leslie, because his majesty james INSISTS that it be in a convenient location. Can't you think of something that fits ALL OF HIS REQUIREMENTS?

May 22nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Mike

May 22nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Leslie

James, you might look into the Bethlem Club in Budapest. It's not new, I don't know when it was last refurbished, but the ownership has changed within the past few years, but for a single room, it does fit into your price range.

May 22nd, 2002, 01:45 PM
x

not a good recommendation, Leslie, because his majesty james INSISTS that it be less than 2 years old. The Betlam Club is not good enough for him.

May 23rd, 2002, 01:17 AM
ttt

ttt

May 23rd, 2002, 03:30 AM
jg

Message to "Brownie" - must have missed your former postings. Can I have some info on your apartment in Prague please? love to go there soon and that sounds great! cheers!

May 23rd, 2002, 04:34 AM
brownie

Hi JG,

If you do a search on brownie, you'll come up with something.

But the apartment is central in the mala strana district of prague approx. 1 min walk to Charles Bridge, through a park area). It is a studio apartment - with enough room for 5. The apartment is located on the first floor of a local family's house. The owners are lovely people, very friendly and helpful but lead busy lives, so you may only see them on your first day and last.

Please send me an e-mail for more info. I don't want to post the owner's phone number on a public forum. I could also give you a link to some photos on the web.

-Brownie