Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Never been to Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/never-been-to-europe-395583/)

kalona Feb 5th, 2004 06:53 AM

Never been to Europe

Traveling to Europe for the first time. Want a quick weekend get-away (Thurs-Mon) in MARCH.
Two questions:
1) Best place to go for short duration
2)Cheapest of Europe

kismetchimera Feb 5th, 2004 06:58 AM

Best place for a short time is Paris.

The cheapest places are Croatia and all the Eastern Europeans countries..
Bon Voyage

kalona Feb 5th, 2004 07:00 AM

Any thoughts on Rome or Barcelona?

ira Feb 5th, 2004 07:00 AM

Hi kalona

Thursday Paris,
Friday Paris,
Saturday Paris,
Sunday Paris

It is worth the extra $100 compared to Albania.

kalona Feb 5th, 2004 07:04 AM

any recommendations where to stay in Paris?

ekellyga Feb 5th, 2004 07:14 AM

some years ago, we stayed at a small hotel a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower. One block to the Metro (subway).

It was called Hotel Champ du Mars (on Champ du Mars ave)

We are not "hotel-picky" and just need a place that is clean and has a shower.

jenifer Feb 5th, 2004 07:19 AM

It is highly unlikely that you will get a room at the Hotel du Champs de Mars this late. They tend to book up months in advance. Still, can't hurt to try.

But, since it sounds like budget is an issue, search for "budget hotel paris" in the search box above. There are many threads on the topic with good recommendations.

And, if you're still interested in Rome or Barcelona, do searches on both of those as well. Read trip reports, and Fodor's city guides to them, and see if they appeal to you more than Paris does. But do remember that it will take longer to fly to Rome than to Paris, which may be a consideration for such a short trip. Also, airfare to Paris may be the cheapest of the three, but you can verify that pretty easily with a quick search of the web.

ira Feb 5th, 2004 07:19 AM

Hi kalona

A text search for "hotels and Paris" will yield a number of suggestions, as will the 'rants and raves' section of the miniguide to Paris at www.fodors.com.

See also
http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....11&start=0

kaudrey Feb 5th, 2004 07:19 AM

Hi kalona,

London is also cheap for quick getaways if you buy an air/land package.

www.go-today.com often has packages for $399 or so.

Karen

bugswife1 Feb 5th, 2004 07:27 AM

I would pick Barcelona. The flight is a bit shorter from the US, and for 4 days that would be a good thing, no? It is a very diverse city with wonderful food. You can eat very cheaply if you go to the little taverns that have tapas. Some of the best sights are free--the Gaudi architecture. Park Guell is great. It is small enough to get around the city by hoof, and fun and lively at night. LaRambla is a pedestrian street with a street fair like atmosphere on weekends. The aquarium is one of the nicest I have seen in Europe and is another inexpensive admission. The Bari Gothic (old city) will give you a real taste for old world Europe. For 4 days, it is, in my opinion, the least overwhelming city.

Randy Feb 5th, 2004 07:35 AM

Another recommendation for Paris. If this is your first time to Europe, Paris would be a great experience and there is so much to do in that city.

I have stayed at the Hôtel Residence Monge and many people at this forum have also recommended this hotel in the Latin Quarter. There web site is: www.hotelmonge.com. I would recommend that you call the hotel directly to see what might be available.

wealthy_backpacker Feb 5th, 2004 07:50 AM

I would recommend Barcelona if on a budget, out of those destinations mentioned above.

Otherwise, consider Prague, Czech Republic. Don't know how cheap the flights there will be from the US but it is pretty cheap when you get there.

Ozarksbill Feb 5th, 2004 08:07 AM

Basic questions first...
What do you want to see/do? Are you mainly interested in seeing "famous sites"? Do you like cities or countryside, castles or museums? What kind of accomodations do you want, i.e. hotels, pensions, etc? Are you young or older, hence, desire to walk a lot?
Good luck...ozarksbill

eurotravler Feb 5th, 2004 08:22 AM

London would be a great introduction to European travel for the novice. Great airfares thru Apr 4th and you can find a reasonable hotel at www.voyagenow.com. Free museums and discounted Theatre!

kalona Feb 5th, 2004 08:34 AM

I am a female New Yorker in her early 30's, I prefer the city and museums, like to walk, and willing to pay about $200 for hotel per night (is that possible?). Flights to Paris ~$430, is that good for March for only a few days?

bardo Feb 5th, 2004 08:36 AM

If you are in or close to one of Air Frances 11 U.S. hubs, you can go to many European cities for $300-350 RT (thru March 31). Rome and Vienna are $150-200 higher. These fares are only available on their website and do not show up on Orbitz and the like. Go to http://www.airfrance.us and click on "best fares from departure cities".

bardo Feb 5th, 2004 08:47 AM

You can certainly get a place in Paris for under $200/night. If you don't mind B&B's and walking up a few flights, there are many options for $100/night.
Here's one option (less than 50 Euro -single w/private bath, one block to metro)
HOTEL DE CHEVREUSE (23 rooms) 3 rue de Chevreuse - 75006 Paris - Tel : +33 1 43 20 93 16 - Fax : +33 1 43 72 43 21

oberost Feb 5th, 2004 08:52 AM

My wife and I took a long weekend in Paris and thorouthly enjoyed it! Check either the Hotel Le Sainte Beuve or the Hotle Pas de Calais for a nice stay. Just type them in on Google and you can visit their websites. In 6th, near Metro, nice neighborhood with shopping and restaurants.

kismetchimera Feb 5th, 2004 12:12 PM

Chec Hotel Bonaparte .Is not expensive, very clean, great location, very safe also..
I spent 4 days this past July there..It is walking distnce to many major sights, Louvre, Notre Dame etc..
The hotel is located in the 6 ARR. in Rue Bonaparte 62..I have the fax number...+1-801-315-7442, cant find the phone number, sorry..

SuzieC Feb 5th, 2004 12:22 PM

I'm a female "of a certain age"...[which probably can be assumed to mean over 40...] I stayed at the Hotel Relais du Louvre for 99e's a night last Novemben (off season; I assume March is as well...); single room but and fairly small, well, really small, but great bath and the room was LOVELY... just lovely. Terrific staff too...
Out the door and look to your left and there is the LOUVRE!
Jeezz.. I love this little hotel!!!