Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   neuschwanstein- no ticket (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/neuschwanstein-no-ticket-727550/)

justintime Aug 9th, 2007 07:44 AM

neuschwanstein- no ticket

From what I have read, the consensus seems to be that neuschwanstein castle is beautiful from the outside, but leaves much to be desired on the inside. In that case, does anyone know if it is acceptable/possible, to go to the castle and walk around the exterior without buying a ticket? Or is the entrance that requires a ticket outside of the castle and far away?
Thanks!

nycgirl1 Aug 9th, 2007 07:47 AM

You can walk around it and in the inner courtyard, but you're really going to be missing out. I'm always surprised when people say it's "not worth it" to see the inside...we really enjoyed it. The finished rooms are incredible and you really get a sense for what he was trying to accomplish (and how crazy he was!)

PalenQ Aug 9th, 2007 08:19 AM

The outside you can see on innumerable travel brochures - the inside is FANTASTIC! and that's a good word - a delightful if bizarre surprise at every turn.

The inside IMO is not to be missed.

what do you mean 'leaves much to be desired on the inside' - where did you get that from and why?

no it's not the usual ho-hum stuffy interior like in the usual castle but much much more interesting

tcreath Aug 9th, 2007 08:23 AM

I really enjoyed the inside as well and am always sort of flabbergasted when people recommend skipping it. Its quite unique. Sure, you only get to visit a small portion of the castle, but I found it fascinating. And the views from some of the windows are stunning. Highly worth a visit imo.

Tracy

ira Aug 9th, 2007 08:25 AM

Hi J,

I think that it is worth going inside.

You can take the bus up to the Marienbrücke for a very good view of the castle.

((I))

tomboy Aug 9th, 2007 08:37 AM

The thing is, it's not much by comparison to the interior of numerous other castles (NOT Hohenschwangau) that the cognoscenti have visited. It is not to be missed if that's the only German castle you ever plan to visit. AFTER we visited what I consider better "castles", I took my wife (who had never been) to Neuschwanstein so that people wouldn't say, "Oh my, you didn't see NEUSCHWANSTEIN? You missed the best." She agreed it was less the the others I had shown her. So in closing, there's no one right opinion.

MaureenB Aug 9th, 2007 08:40 AM

If you go all the way there, be sure to go inside IMHO.
:)>-

Momof5 Aug 9th, 2007 09:30 AM

Wow, who would want to go all the way there to that castle and not see the inside. What a waste of a trip. Yes I was bummed there was not more to see on the inside but still I saw what I could. I remember being in the little cafe inside and talking to my hubby about being in the castle and having a hot chocolate and how cool it was.

Regardless I bought a ticket ahead of time the lines are huge and I went during the off season and found it worth it, since I drove a hour out of my way to see it. I can tell my kids that I have not only seen it but been in it and tell them the stories of this visually famous castle. Hope you do not regret your decision, but have a great time!

L84SKY Aug 9th, 2007 10:15 AM

I enjoyed Neuschwanstein. Even if Ididn't it would have been worth it to go- just to have my own opinion.

ira Aug 9th, 2007 10:19 AM

>I remember being in the little cafe inside and talking to my hubby about being in the castle and having a hot chocolate and how cool it was.<

I would have asked them to heat up the chocolate. :)

((I))

Gina_07 Aug 9th, 2007 10:24 AM

I also think that you should see both the inside and the outside for a more complete experience. After getting up there (take the horse carriage) you may regret for not having bought the ticket. It's worth it. It doesn't take much more time to see the inside.

scatcat Aug 9th, 2007 10:25 AM

ira

Wow...you pick up on everything! It took me a few seconds.

PalenQ Aug 9th, 2007 10:27 AM

otherwise go to Disneyland and admire the same castle exterior there and not having to trek to Fussen a'tall.

Momof5 Aug 10th, 2007 06:46 PM

ira

You are funny, i thought did I write something wrong and then realized that your are quick. Srry for the pun, it was not intentional.