Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein and Linderhof--can they be done in 1 day?

Jan 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I am looking to take our family to these. We will be coming from Munich. I assume I will take a train there but I was trying to figure out which one to do first and/or if they can be done in 1 day. I saw "tour" companies but we are really not wanting to go that route and sit in a bus.

Also, if there were any sites around those that would be worth checking out, I would appreciate any. thanks!
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM

With public transport Neuschwanstein is quite easy to reach. Linderhof less so. you can look the timetables (between [Muenchen], [Hohenschwangau] for Neuschwanstein and [Schloss Linderhof]) at www.bahn.de - it has bus schedules as well.
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM

I think a big question is this:
How many are in the traveling party?
If there are 3 or more, I suggest a car because then you do it big, so to speak.

To me Neuschwanstein was something of a disappointment. One sees this grandiose, fairyland castle rising majestically against the mountain backdrop.

Once inside, much of it is not finished and one could see that the grasp of Ludwig exceeded his budget by a wide margin.

I agree; the setting is awesome. Hiking up the steep hills for views of the castle from a distance is well worth it, if you have good hiking stamina.

One place I thought was absolutely marvellous is the Weiskirche, the church in the meadow that is located on the return to Munich.

Three of us did it by car one day. Yes, the car was more expensive, particularly when you consider the cost of a Bayern Ticket BUT doing what we did in one day would not have been possible otherwise.

I think it becomes a question of money versus what you can see and personal convenience. It is freedom to roam versus the constraints of the trains and public buses. And there is always the #1 bugaboo: COST.

The euro was cheaper then than it is now!!
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM

OOPS

Wieskirche.

The e is after the i!!

http://www.wieskirche.de/
There is an English version.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help!
It is our first trip to Munich with our 3 kids.
Our kids actually want to see both castles. I would prefer only seeing one of them.They saw pictures of them from Grandad's trip last summer.

We'll look into a car.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM

We stayed in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and did a one-day loop by car, which took us to Ettal, to see the wonderful baroque chapel at Kloster Ettal, then to Linderhof, which is such a fabulous place, inside and out, with a stop at Wieskirche, which is quite out of the way and was a bit of a disappointment to me after the chapel at the monastery at Ettal, which was a bit less overblown with gilt.

The area around Neuschwanstein was so clogged with tour buses, we decided to skip it and just enjoy the view from a distance. The countryside in the area is spectacular.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM

We did both castles 2 years ago in late April with 4 children. The kids loved Linderhof, as did we. Newschwanstein is a spectacular castle from the outside, but nothing compared to Linderhof inside. We enjoyed the walk up (there was a little bit of complaining from the peanut gallery).

Make sure you see Linderhof. We also visited Oberammeragau, which is very cute. It has houses painted with various fairy tales, and is home to the famous Passion play. We missed the guided tour of the theatre, but were lucky enough to find one of the actors that was more that happy to give us a tour. They are very proud of this production.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM

im also going to munich in March, and will be renting a car to see some of these sights. We were thinking of starting early one morning to catch Neuschwanstein from afar and going to Linderof.(or opposite order?) Then going up romantic road to see some of the villages. We'll spend the night somewhere, and head back to munich to drop off the car for the next evening. What is a suggested itinerary...or at least direction to head. ie: head west, then north,etc.../
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM

I personally would not do both castles on one day. If you are taking a tour or a train (on your own), then you can forget it because just going to Neuschwanstein will take you the whole day. By car, it takes about 2 hrs driving from Munich to Neuschwanstein, so that's 4 hrs total driving time. Then you have to buy your ticket and make your way up to the castle (30 min steep walk uphill which can be shortened by taking a shuttle bus or horse-drawn carriage). Then you have to wait for your group to be allowed in. You don't just get in immediately but are put in groups and wait your turn to tour with a guide. Unlike one other reviewer, I found Neuschwanstein worth the visit. Sometime in between, you will want to eat and take a coffee break. I would count a total of 7 hrs for the drive and visit if you don't waste time.
You didn't say when you were coming to Germany. Don't forget the number of daylight hours plays an important role in your decision. Assuming you have 10 hrs of daylight, if you use 7, you have 3 left to take in Linderhof. You'll get back to Munich pretty tired and mind-boggled after all that walking. And if you have young kids, you will have grumpy ones at the end.
Linderhof is quite a small castle. Entry is again in groups with a guide so you have to wait your turn. What is fascinating is the ornate, gold decorations everywhere. What a waste of money! There are grounds to see too and a grotto - again waiting time. Füssen, Oberammergau and Garmisch - all little towns in that area are worth seeing too.
If you have the time, rent a car and stay over one night and you'll get to see everything.

If you just want to take the train to Neuschwanstein and see Füssen, time permitting - which will be much cheaper than going on a tour - you can ask me as I sent a visitor there this way just recently.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM

I enjoyed Neuschwanstein a lot too. We reserved our tickets ahead of time, so we didn't have to wait in the line to purchase them. We knew what time our tour was already and just turned up in time to get our tickets from the will call booth and walk up the hill. That saved quite a bit of time hanging around. We saw both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein on the same ticket (tours scheduled a bit appart to allow everyone to get from one castle to the other). Both castles plus lunch and a hike to the Marienbruke behind Neuschwanstein took about 4 hours.