Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Netherlands/Belgium Cell--Need to update (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/netherlands-belgium-cell-need-to-update-760749/)

AlessandraZoe Jan 11th, 2009 07:02 AM

Netherlands/Belgium Cell--Need to update

I have been using very simple, tiny unlocked GSM phones for years, but now I cannot get replacement batteries. I want to make sure our party of four will have at least 2 phones to allow some flexibility in our touring.

I am considering a variety of tactics, ranging from unlocked phone from Mobal, to eBay thing, and even just renting from Verizon with the Global Rental program (although at 3.99 a day for just the rental, it does not seem like such a great option).

I don't need phones with bells and whistles but I do want something that gets great reception and that won't cost me a fortune with frequent short intercalling between family members while we're all in Europe. Any recent experiences?

Lawchick Jan 12th, 2009 12:25 AM

http://www.base.be

If you look on this site for example, you can buy a phone in Belgium for about 50euros when you arrive. The phones are unlocked here. Just make sure it's tri-band so you can use it in the US.

greg Jan 12th, 2009 12:48 AM

I use Verizon, so I have the same international usage issue. I bought a prepaid Motorola v195 quad band phone from T-mobile more than 90 days from the trip. I had it unlocked at no charge by T-mobile on the 91st day and took the phone to Europe. It worked well using a local SIM card. The phone was $30.00 and came preloaded with ~$10 credit plus a $20 refill card.

ParisAmsterdam Jan 12th, 2009 04:24 AM

I bought a phone from callineurope.com for 2 trips last year and was very pleased with the price, the service and the phone itself.

The previous year in Amsterdam, I bought a pay as you go T-Mobile phone with 5 euros of credit on it for 20 euros if I remember correctly.

I'd have had it unlocked but discovered it was a model that was difficult and expensive to unlock so the callineurope solution worked for me.

Rob

DeborahAnn Jan 12th, 2009 06:17 AM

Rob--will the callineurope allow the use of one sim card when you use it in Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy--or do you have to have to purchase a different sim for each country. Thanks, Deborah

ParisAmsterdam Jan 12th, 2009 03:41 PM

Have a look at the main page of their site... callineurope.com

ONE SIM card and they have their rates there as well for calls. I see they have a special on for January too.

I used my phone in Greece and called home from the Acropolis. The call was crisper and sharper than using my Canadian phone and calling home from a mile away. It was very handy in France last summer too.

Another handy feature at a cost of 10 cents a day is having a North American number for family and friends to use and your phone will ring in Europe. They pay only long distance (if applicable) to the North American number.

I have no commercial interest in this company... just a happy customer.

Rob

DeborahAnn Jan 12th, 2009 03:55 PM

Thanks Rob, we are meeting friends in France this May who will then be traveling through Germany, Switzerland and Italy and we were discussing how many sim cards they might need. I'm going to send this information on to them. Thanks again, Deborah

AlessandraZoe Jan 13th, 2009 01:49 PM

I'm strongly considering the Call in Europe thing, so thank you for updating me with the latest bargain.

It is funny how quickly all of this stuff can change. About two weeks ago, a friend whose daughter will be away in Italy for three weeks in spring and in France first semester next year asked me for advice along these lines. I told her that I would pass along anything I found out for the Italy trip but be perfectly prepared for some new deal or arrangement by her France trip.

Again, I thank you for keeping me current.

ParisAmsterdam Jan 13th, 2009 07:15 PM

You're welcome!