Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Netherlands & Belgium trains (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/netherlands-and-belgium-trains-599626/)

ehc Mar 16th, 2006 04:15 AM

Netherlands & Belgium trains

Is there much difference between 1st & 2nd class on the trains in The Netherlands and in Belgium? We will be taking a number of short trains rides in both countries, but there are a few, such as Amsterdam to Brugge (O/W), Brugge to Brussels (although not THAT long -O/W), & Brussels to Maastricht (R/T). Is it worth buying a 1st class pass?

Thanks in advance.

BTilke Mar 16th, 2006 04:29 AM

Nobody *needs* to go first class on any of those trains. Second class is fine. Nonetheless, I usually go first class anyway. First class fares, esp, on weekends and holidays, are pretty reasonable. Also, second class on the Brussels-coast run (which includes Bruges) can get very crowded on week-ends and holidays, esp. in good weather. Fortunately, the regular trains to from Brussels to Bruges are the nicest in the B-rail fleet.
The Amsterdam to Belgium run also can be quite crowded around rush hour, another reason I tend to go first class. Second class can be standing room only on some of the really popular Amsterdam to Belgium commuter runs.
As always, I believe in going first if it has no impact on my overall travel budget. But if going first means cutting back elsewhere, then I go second.

ehc Mar 16th, 2006 12:22 PM

Thanks, BT.

provence97 Mar 16th, 2006 12:25 PM

No, not worth it at all. Spend the money on a good meal and beer! The trips are so short anyway!

PalQ Mar 16th, 2006 12:35 PM

I've ridden hundreds of Dutch trains and at rush hours in a.m. and p.m. second class is often standing room only whilst first class has lots of empty seats. The difference between 1st and 2nd class passes for 5 days of travel in Benelux is just $50 - well worth it in my experience as even if train is not mobbed the seats in first class are bigger and far less others travelling in it. I say apply the same criteria to trains as you would chosing a hotel - do you take the one star hotels or go the more comfy route. And on the Amsterdam-Brussels regular IC trains second class always seems jammed up. To save $15 on your pass thru RailEurope's handling fees i always recommend BETS (www.budgeteuropetravel.com) as they won't charge the fee though a RE agent and their staff is so knowledgeable. Don't believe this pass in on sale in Benelux.

MyriamC Mar 16th, 2006 01:07 PM

Second class on rush hours (which is between 7 - 9.30 am and 4 - 6.30 pm) can be very congested (school kids!). If you can avoid these trains you'll be fine in 2nd class.

Ishoo Feb 11th, 2012 08:41 AM

Can large pieces of luggage be checked in on the train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam? Only info I saw was carry-ons only.

MyriamC Feb 12th, 2012 12:38 PM

There's isn't really a lot of space for luggage on the trains. Not on the intercity trains and certainly not on the sprinters!