Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Netflix in Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/netflix-in-italy-1668254/)

Rosemary23 Jun 13th, 2019 06:07 PM

Netflix in Italy?

Am planning to rent a VRBO vacation apartment in Italy. The unit is being advertised as having Netflix (which I am a subscriber of in the USA). I questioned the proprietor of the apartment and he stated that I would be able to access some Netflix programming in English. Has anyone had any first hand experience with this? Thanks for your response.

Macross Jun 13th, 2019 06:21 PM

We have had Netflix in France in a rental. It was nice on a snowy blowy night. I watched The Crown and we saw a documentary on the Eagles. We had it in Ireland but were so busy we really never watched tv except to see the weather.

Travel_Nerd Jun 13th, 2019 08:54 PM

Netflix programming often, I believe, depends on the region you are in at the time. For example, as an US subscriber I do not have access to Doctor Who episodes on Netflix in the US. But did on two trips to Europe (Italy 2017, Iceland & Scotland 2018).

Using the Host's account, in Italy, will likely have their settings in the region they are in. I cannot say that Netflix Italy is different from Netflix, Germany, for example: but the programming may differ between regions.

I guess the question, though, is: why does it matter? Are you envisioning a lot of time in front of tv/computer on your trip? Maybe you're like me (I fall asleep to familiar movies/shows) but I never logged in simply to "watch."

Alec Jun 14th, 2019 12:03 AM

Netflix programming is specific to each country it operates in, so you won't get access to all the programs you have in US. To do so requires the use of VPN to fool the network into thinking you are still in US, plus smartphone or laptop and connections to the TV. Whether it will work in the apartment you are renting depends on which VPN you have and the wifi/internet setting at your property (some ban the use of external streaming service). You can ask the owner/agent about any restrictions. Restriction is more likely in hotels, where streaming can grab too much available bandwidth at the expense of other users.

Traveler_Nick Jun 14th, 2019 01:58 AM

Partly it'll depend on the program. But in general you should be able to switch to English IF the program was originally in English.

But even without Netflix you can go into the SAP setting of an Italian TV and get English on various OTA channels. Netflix is often mentioned that it helps people learn foreign languages with the content in the original language.

https://help.netflix.com/it/node/13245

That's the Netflix Italia page telling you how to change the languages in the audio list.

NB that's using the apartment's account. NOT your home account

J62 Jun 14th, 2019 02:12 AM

To use your own Netflix service on you own device, download & sign up for ExpressVPN service. You can get a 1mo subscription for about $10. You may need to play around with different connection servers, or ask ExpressVPN for input on which server is known to allow streaming on Netflix. These VPNs and the video streaming co's are playing a constant game of cat & mouse with each other.

whitehall Jun 14th, 2019 07:23 AM

We are at our house in the Caribbean right now using NORD VPN. We are easily using our US accounts including Netflix. We can cancel and get a refund within 30 days, but for a bit over $100, we can keep it for three years and continue to use it in Italy in the fall during an extended trip there. We also like to watch the US version of CNN, especially with all the current White House shenanigans. You will probably need your own computer or tablet, since it may be too complicated, and perhaps not appreciated, to try to switch accounts on your landlord's device.

Rosemary23 Jun 14th, 2019 10:50 AM

Thank you all for providing me with such great information!! This site & people like you really do make travel planning easier. At first I felt a bit silly making this inquiry, after all who travels to "Bella Italia" to watch TV -- but it is kind of nice at the end of the day to wind down with before bed. Yes, Whitehall, I too appreciate keeping up with the news although maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a break from all the White House insanity. Traveler Nick, thanks for the link as well as the info about going into the SAP setting,
=left

bvlenci Jun 15th, 2019 01:30 PM

I live in Italy and have Italian Netflix. It has a fair amount of English content. As mentioned above, you can change the language, if English is available for that film.

millie2112 Jun 15th, 2019 03:19 PM

As another poster previously stated, you can down load the Netflix App to your Tablet. Sign in as per usual. You should get the Netflix Italian content. However, Netflix does give you the ability to view programs in their original language. So you really should have no problem at all with Netflix on your tablet or in the rental.

bvlenci Jun 15th, 2019 09:44 PM

I understood that Rosemary was renting an appartment which has access to Netflix. Her question was whether this Italian account would give her access to English content.It would, but not all the content she would get from an American account. It would be enough for relaxation at the end of the day.

For this purpose, if that's what she wants, she wouldn't be download in anything and a VPN is irrelevant.

Traveler_Nick Jun 15th, 2019 10:02 PM

Yes but you would hope the apartment owner had a welcome package with instructions. And a reminder for the settings to be changed back. Can't count the number of times a hotel TV was almost unusable because somebody changed the language.

bvlenci Jun 16th, 2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick (Post 16937507)
Yes but you would hope the apartment owner had a welcome package with instructions. And a reminder for the settings to be changed back. Can't count the number of times a hotel TV was almost unusable because somebody changed the language.

I imagine that Netflix is installed on a smart TV, and I wouldn't dream of trying to set up a VPN on a smart TV. I don't even know if it's possible. Our smart TV has Netflix pre-installed, but it has a very crippled version of Android, and I was unable to install software at will.

LucyHales16 Dec 10th, 2019 04:19 AM

Yes and no.

Originally Posted by Rosemary23 (Post 16936581)
Am planning to rent a VRBO vacation apartment in Italy. The unit is being advertised as having Netflix (which I am a subscriber of in the USA). I questioned the proprietor of the apartment and he stated that I would be able to access some Netflix programming in English. Has anyone had any first hand experience with this? Thanks for your response.

Yes. you would be able to access netflix in english in Italy but there's a catch. The content library in italy is limited and not all the shows on netflix will be available there. so yeah, but you'll get by.

jc_uk Dec 10th, 2019 11:18 AM

The advice about using VPNs to circumvent Netflix's territorial obligations is often misguided. Netflix does not permit the usage of VPNs to access their app due to the differing licence agreements with the film and TV companies and various countries. Therefore Netflix may be allowed to broadcast a particular film or series in the US but not in Italy which is why when you use your Netflix account abroad you will see diffferent content to what you'll see at home. Netflix will still work, you just may not be able to catch up on a particular favourite series however you will also discover content that is not available at home, the joys of watching Netflix abroad.

The vast majority of VPNs have been blocked by Netflix so whilst one person's recomendation may work for them currently, by this time next week Netflix may have blocked it.

I also pay no heed to those who sneer at the prospect of watching TV whilst travelling. What's the big deal, are they all out pounding the streets until midnight taking in as much as they can? Personally, the majority of time when I'm travelling is to do so for relaxation and also, as a parent with two children, staying up till late in bars is not an option so I have to occupy my time when the kids have gone to bed and Netflix and a bottle of wine suits me fine.

gentle Dec 15th, 2019 06:21 AM

I use my iPad all the time to get Netflix as long as they have wifi in Italy

walkinaround Dec 15th, 2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by bvlenci (Post 16937506)
I understood that Rosemary was renting an appartment which has access to Netflix. Her question was whether this Italian account would give her access to English content.It would, but not all the content she would get from an American account. It would be enough for relaxation at the end of the day.

For this purpose, if that's what she wants, she wouldn't be download in anything and a VPN is irrelevant.

I don't think this is right. Correct me if I'm wrong but Netflix is country specific according to the country you are LOCATED IN. Not your account. An italian account used in Italy will have the same content as a US account used in Italy. I'm a very light/casual user of Netflix but my experience is that a lot of the content is the same from country to country. But there certainly are differences.

If one is concerned about the content available when located in Italy (regardless of the account), just download some content on to your phone or tablet before you go to Italy. Of course, also good for use on the airplane.

Seamus Dec 16th, 2019 12:13 AM

During our August 2019 visit to Italy we accessed Netflix using our US account (username/password) in Rome, Florence and Venice without problem.

travelwithgiuli Dec 16th, 2019 07:35 AM

I'm italian and ive rented an apt in California. There was a smart tv with Netflix app.
I used my account, that worked normally. I hope it helps and that you can enjoy it :)