Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nerja (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nerja-475596/)

rmtraut Sep 21st, 2004 08:00 AM

Nerja

Looking for some insight on Nerja - if anyone has been and has any other coastal recommendations. Thanks -

zootsi Sep 21st, 2004 09:01 AM

We spent 2 nights there last April and loved the town. Since it is on the easternmost edge of the Costa del Sol, it hasn't been ravaged by the concrete high rises like most towns to the west. Interestingly, the eastern half of the town is more scenic and unspoiled than the western half, which is more city like. We stayed at the Parisio del Mar, a small, very comfortable hotel that had a stairway leading down to the beach. Nerja has two long pedestrian streets lined with shops and restaurants, and they converge at the Balcony of Europe, a beautiful overlook on the sea. Another nice thing about Nerja is the wealth of hiking trails up into the mountains just a few minutes drive from the beach. We would go back to Nerja with no hestiation. Unfortunately, there are real estate offices on every block, and construction cranes going up out towards the hilltown of Fringalina, so I suspect Nerja may loose it's charm in a few years.

bobthenavigator Sep 21st, 2004 10:47 AM

I still get teary when I think about the Easter Sunday procession we saw there. Love the town, but get there soon--the cranes are coming.

artlover Sep 21st, 2004 04:04 PM

We too enjoyed Nerja and the nearby caves are fantastic. We also enjoyed the white village of Frigiliana nearby.

WendyEdie Oct 13th, 2004 12:02 PM

We spent 2 weeks in Nerja at the Paraiso Del Mar hotel for our honeymoon recently.

We absolutely LOVE Nerja and cannot wait to go back.

Do you have any specific questions that I can answer for you?

canuckuphereathome Oct 13th, 2004 12:43 PM

We just returned from Spain and did a day trip to Nerja. Was so charmed by the town that we actually picked up cards from a couple of the scads of rental/real estate offices in order to re-visit and stay longer someday. But everyone is correct in saying that there is construction going on everywhere and that Nerja may soon go the way of many other large high-rise filled towns that dot the Costa del Sol.
Pity.

elle Oct 13th, 2004 01:23 PM

How interesting. I haven't been to Nerja in 20 years and we had the same impression (that the cranes were coming and its charm was threatened) then that you all have now. I'm glad to hear that "progress" progressed much more slowly than I thought at the time.

I found it to be one of the most beautiful spots on earth. I still remember sitting on a terrace overlooking the Mediterranean and eating calamari that had just been caught that day. . .

travginny Oct 13th, 2004 04:42 PM

I've had two holidays (one week each) in Nerja and loved every minute of it. Nerja is a lovely small town. True, the construction cranes are out there and it makes for some dust. However, the old town is really charming. Let's hope that the construction boom won't spoil it.
Ginny