Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   NeoPatrick's 10 Days in London Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/neopatricks-10-days-in-london-trip-report-728038/)

NeoPatrick Aug 11th, 2007 06:01 AM

NeoPatrick's 10 Days in London Trip Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me say, for June the weather couldn't have been much worse. It rained. Then it rained. Then it rained some more.
I suppose if this had been our first trip we would have been sorely disappointed. But when you're spending up to 5 or 6 hours a day inside theatres and another 5 or so hours a day in restaurants (my partner, Lee, has Alzheimer's and is a VERY slow eater), I guess it really didn't affect us that much!

Our AA daytime flight in Business class (FF freebies) from JFK to Heathrow was delightful. We had spent the night before at the Marriott Courtyard at JFK since we spent a couple days out on Long Island. We were very happy with the hotel (especially since it was free with a Marriott certificate from taking their credit card). The shuttle service was great (they picked us up the night before at the rental car return, and delivered us right on time in the morning for our flight.)

Arrival at Heathrow was swift, and our luggage retrieval was almost instant -- that was a real surprise. I think that was another advantage of arriving at Heathrow at 8:30 PM instead of in the early morning with the hundreds of other international flights. We headed to the Underground station as our flat is just a block from Covent Garden tube and we've found that taking the tube is the easiest, cheapest, and quickest way to our flat from Heathrow. OOOOPPPPS. Not this time. It was Saturday, June 16. The Underground line from Heathrow was closed for the weekend. So after buying our Oyster Cards and being told that, we tried to find how to get the "substitute" bus instead. We were told there were NO busses to replace the line since it was the weekend. And that it would be nearly impossible to make a connection to the tube by taking regular busses. On the other hand, all we'd have to do is show our Oyster cards and the Heathrow Express was FREE as the alternative. So that's what we did. The connections to the tube (two connections in fact) to get to Covent Garden was a little involved and there were far more steps than I'd have liked, but we eventually made it to our flat (in the rain of course).

We stayed for 10 nights before flying on to Rome. Rather than a day by day -- I think I'll simply list the shows and the restaurants -- that's mainly what we did. But first a word about a few attractions we did:

The Sir John Soane museum at Lincoln Inn Fields was new to us. Very interesting restored house filled with artifacts and artictectural details from this famous 19th Century architect.

Leighton House in Hollald Park was another "new to us" and interesting place. This beautiful old house is more an art museum that a house museum, but the Ilam tiles throughout the downstairs rooms were very impressive.

On the weekend was a fun "Lot Valley" festival at Covent Garden featuring various products and travel information from the Lot Valley in France. This was a lot of fun, and we sampled and bought some wonderful cheeses as well as other foods.

THEATRE: This is what we go to London for, and frankly the options this trip seemed a little more disappointing than usual. The West End is SO much recycled shows and Broadway transfers, and we even found fewer fringe shows that interested us than usual (I tend to think they options are fewer during the summer for fringe than during the winter).
Most of our tickets we bought at TKTS and never stood in line more than 10 or 15 minutes. The guys got to know me, and each day would ask how I liked the show the day or night before. We had bought advance tickets for the huge production of KISMET at the English National Opera for the first preview which was to be our last night in London. But we got an email that the production was delayed so we took the tickets to get a refund. I was very disappointed, but then I saw the reviews -- HORRIBLE -- after it opened, so that certainly soothed the pain, and I was glad to have gotten our nearly $300 back!

BLUE MAN GROUP -- Surprisingly we had never seen this show, but it was the only option on a Sunday -- half price -- so decided "why not?" Enjoyed it more than I expected, but I'm still amazed that some people think it's the greatest theatre experience they've ever done. I'd hardly call it theatre at all, in fact -- just fun.

GASLIGHT: The Victorian thriller in a very good production at The Old Vic. It was well done, and I'm very familiar with the show, but it mainly reminded me that the show really doesn't hold up that well, and there is little suspence or "thriller" to it.

THE PHILISTINES: The pre Russian revolution play by Gorky in a stunning and totally real production. I found it fascinating, although at the end was a strangely out of place monolog by the woman "stealing" the son from the father. She uses the F word about 50 times in the speech and it just seemed so totally out of character for the period and the characters. Oddly enough, a few days later a review appeared in Time Out (hardly a conservative viewpoint, usually) which stated the same reaction I had.

THE 39 STEPS: This send-up of the Hitchcock movie was great fun. All the roles are played by three very talented actors and it really was funny. I was glad I had Netflixed the oiginal just a couple weeks earlier, as I think much of the humor was lost on those who hadn't seen or didn't remember the film.

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF: Henry Goodman was wonderful in the role, and this production was stunning. I loved that the set didn't follow the usual more theatrical flair, but was all dull and weathered wood frames of buildings. Only the lighting added color to a very drab background -- rather appropriate for the show. And then it snowed at the end when they leave for America -- no dry eyes here!

BOEING, BOEING: I had done this French farce many years ago in summer stock, and it was fun to see again in a really excellent production. Patricia Hodge as the maid nearly stole the show, but who does door slamming farce better than the Brits?

THE LETTER: This Somerset Maugham story is brought to life on stage in a stunning production with Singapore and China as backdrops. Very slow paced, but some outstanding acting.

DROWSY CHAPERONE: Good production, rivaling the Broadway original. Elaine Paige is wonderful as the chaperone -- and it seemed funny for her to get top billing as it is far from being the lead. But I think the part might have been "padded" for her, as I really don't remember the chaperone playing that big a part in the original. And while the lead girl was good, she was NO Sutton Foster!!!!

THE ROSE TATOO: This production of Tennessee Williams' classic was very well done, with the wonderful Zoe Wannamaker in the lead. It brought back memories of the wonderful Broadway production I saw many years with Maureen Stapleton and Maria Tucci. And as usual the staging at the National (a revolving set) was wonderful.

CABARET: The revival of this show a few years ago by the Donmar and brought to Studio 54 in New York took the show to a new "gritty, dirty, and bawdy" level. This production made that one look like Mary Poppins. There was considerable full frontal nudity, rampant sex and drug use portrayed very realistically on stage throughout, and some real surprises. I liked it very much, and there was little separation between the Cabaret scenes and the "real" life scenes. In other words --all of life then was a cabaret! Some of the Kit Kat girls were clearly boys and some were -- well, who knows?
Near the end, there are giant cut out thick letters sitting on stage spelling out KABARET (yes, with a K), and as the various actors reprise bits of their musical numbers as if in a dream, a Nazi soldier crosses the stage and knocks over the letters one at a time. As he knocked the first one over there is a huge thud as it hits the stage. Lee broke the spell of the stunned audience by shouting out in surprise "Jesus Christ!" when it hit the stage. It was his most "ill behaved" moment of the trip, but really kind of funny when I thought about it later.

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS: Again, more recycled Broadway. Nothing terribly exciting or new about this production and nowhere near as effective plants as the recent New York production, but still fun to see.

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS: This was a staged reading -- part of the Lost Musicals series at the smaller theatre at Sadler's Wells. Loved it -- they get a very talented group of actors and singers to do these shows for a few performances each, and I always feel lucky when our trip coincides with one of them.

AVENUE Q; Again, more recycled Broadway. I actually enjoyed this production more than the original in New York. For one thing I never understood the girl pretending to be Gary Coleman in NYC, but here it was a guy who sort of looked like him and sort of imitated him, so somehow I thought the "joke" made a lot more sense. The show suffered from sound problems however, with a couple of them so over amlified that it was impossible to understand the words.

EATING:
Mostly we did breakfast in the flat -- as it takes Lee a long time to get going in the morning, and my diabetic diet requires food right away. Cereal and fruit became the standard -- although I usually went out and brought my morning coffee or latte from a near by Pret. One morning Lee was up and going early so we did a proper English breakfast at Farmer Browns.

Lunches at: Wagamamma; Belgo Centraal; Anchor and Hope on the Southbank -- a great gastro pub; Boulevard, an excellent sort of French brasserie; The Friar's Inn near Victoria for Fish and Chips -- a new favorite for those; DaMario for pizza on Gloucester Road -- excellent place; dim sum in ChinaTown, my former favorite E Capital was gone, and I'm not even sure of the name where we ended up; The Blue Elephant at Fulham Broadway for the spectacular Sunday Thai brunch; tried to go to Fox and Anchor at Smithfield Market only to find it is closed and gone, but found the wonderful multi-level Smith's of Smithfield instead;

Dinners (mostly post theatre)at: Maggie Jones, an old favorite; Salieri on The Strand; the Wolesley -- seems so pricey, but really good and I love the "buzz" of the place late at night; Covent Garden Grill -- where we are treated like old friends by two different waiters, one an actor and the other an artist who always recognize us and come chat freely; Bank -- our last dinner there as it was closing the following week; Joe Allen, just like NYC and we always go; Pasta Brown's -- reliable and inexpensive; Boheme in Soho; The Forge (formerly Le Estiminet) -- a really nice meal and highly recommended -- this place is at the corner of Floral Street and Garrick in Covent Garden.

Oh and the link to our flat we've now rented about 10 times?
www.farnum-christ.com Click "one bedroom flats" then click Floral Street. As usual we worried a bit in advance about lack of AC, but as usual NO problem. In fact, I was almost thinking of turning on the heat a couple of mornings.

robjame Aug 11th, 2007 06:14 AM

Been waiting for this Neo!
Blue Man Group is one we have had on our list... so it wasn't spectacular? Cabaret and Around the World in 80 Days - two of our favorites!
Thank you.

noe847 Aug 11th, 2007 06:15 AM

Thanks for posting a report, NeoPatrick. It's very interesting to read your views of the theatre, and I've made notes of the restaurants. And the apartment looks fabulous. What a great location. And I'm envious of the daytime cross-Atlantic flight!

SuzieCII Aug 11th, 2007 06:31 AM

Sigh... all that theatre. How wonderful. You're quite a fellow Patrick...I wish I could sit down with you and Lee and have a good solid chat.

Janeyre Aug 11th, 2007 06:43 AM

Loved the theatre notes, NeoPatrick. Thanks for sharing.

NeoPatrick Aug 11th, 2007 08:04 AM

"Blue Man Group is one we have had on our list... so it wasn't spectacular?"

As I said it was better than I expected. I assumed from what I had seen that most of it would be throwing a bunch of paint at each other, but only a small part of the show was that. Some was pretty clever, like the spitting paint to create pictures.

But let's see now.
Choice A: Ian McKellan performing King Lear. . .
Choice B: A couple guys spitting paint. . .

Hmmmmmm. Which would I rather see? Not a hard choice.

SandyBrit Aug 11th, 2007 08:51 AM

NeoPatrick:

Thanks for sharing - flat looks very nice.

How full was your daytime flight on AA? Any problems with jet lag or was this not an issue with the daytime flight?

Sandy

cobbie Aug 11th, 2007 08:54 AM

Great report Patrick. We walked around Lincoln 2x in the rain on a Sunday a.m. but never could find the Soames museum. Enjoyed the neighborhood tho.

NeoPatrick Aug 11th, 2007 08:55 AM

Are these little "pet" names supposed to be cute, funny, insulting, or what? Or are they just used to prove to everyone what a complete and utter ass you are? If it's the latter, you have succeeded. Congratulations.

Johnmango Aug 11th, 2007 08:58 AM

NeoPatrick

If you like fringe theater, may I suggest the annual Edmonton International Fringe Festival. Modeled after the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, we are into our 26th year and it is the largest of its kind in North America.

BTW, Edmonton is the capital of Alberta, in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonto...ringe_Festival

http://www.fringetheatreadventures.c...x.php/festival

The fun thing about the fringe is that most of the shows are ~2 hours, and we may get to see 3-4 shows a day. Used to be that you have to line up about an hour before the show to get tickets (no advance ticket sale). With time, this has changed to on-line ticket sales; so it has lost a bit of the charm because it is sometimes nice to see people around, lining up and talk and ask others what great shows they've seen ...

NeoPatrick Aug 11th, 2007 08:59 AM

Regarding the day time flight. It is the second time we've done it and I really like it. I don't sleep well on a plane, and there was NO jet lag involved. By the time we got to the flat and settled in it was nearly midnight. While that was only 7 PM back in NYC where we started, we were tired -- especially after getting up about 5 that morning to get to JFK. So we went to bed, slept great, and woke up about 8 the next morning raring to go.
The plane was completely full so far as I could see.

And cobbie. I was glad I took the actual house number with us for the museum. There is only a very small placard at the entrance as I recall.

Holly_uncasdewar Aug 11th, 2007 09:04 AM

Good report, Patrick. Will you be doing the same for the rest of your trip? Especially looking forward to Venice. Keep 'em coming!

robjame Aug 11th, 2007 09:07 AM

Thanks Neo - having studied King Lear in high school I'll take the guys spitting paint (even at me) LOL

yk Aug 11th, 2007 09:24 AM

Patrick - regarding "Boulevard, an excellent sort of French brasserie" did you go to the one in Soho on Old Compton Street, or the Boulevard Brasserie on Wellington Street near Covent Garden?

I'm thinking of going to the Brasserie for lunch after visiting Courtauld. Menu looks good and prices reasonable.

crefloors Aug 11th, 2007 09:27 AM

Patrick...just ignore our "little buddy" if you can. Not worth responding to.

When do we get the rest of the story. (:

nanabee Aug 11th, 2007 09:27 AM

i am hoping to be in england this fall so your trip report is perfect to take along with me! thanks so much!
nicely done.

NeoPatrick Aug 11th, 2007 09:29 AM

The Boulevard I referred to is the one on Wellington. Sort of short on atmosphere, but we always enjoy the food and service.

kerouac Aug 11th, 2007 09:42 AM

Excellent report, Neo. I could never go to as many plays in London. For one thing, I couldn't afford it, even at the cheap ticket booth.

Every year at the Avignon festival, I go to about 4 plays a day (but for only 8 to 10 euros). I can only stay 4 days, because I burn out from theatrical overload.

Dukey Aug 11th, 2007 09:43 AM

We are certainly with you in terms of taking the "day flight" which we have done from Dulles to Heathrow...very much a viable alternative IMO.

"The Letter"...a la Bette Davis, et al...I'd love to see it simply to compare it to the movie.

Sounds like an overall great trip and thank for posting.

NeoPatrick Aug 11th, 2007 10:23 AM

Gee, had no idea that there was a movie of The Letter -- but Betty Davis must be perfect in the role, which is really a good one.

"Theatrical overload", kerouac? Sorry, I don't understand that term.
LOL