Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

neighborhoods in London for apartment rental with kids ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attempting to plan a trip to London with kids the first week of March.

When we visited Paris 2 years ago, we were close to Palais Royal and would stop there and play around the black and white posts before heading in for the night. Was a fun way to burn off that last spurt of energy each afternoon.

We would love to replicate that and find something that is close to a park/playground and convenient to things. I like to go out at night after the kids are in bed and shoot photos (in Paris, I walked down to the Louvre each night and shot the sunset among the Pyramid there). Given the time of year, that probably is a minor concern given that it will be dark earlier. However, having good take-out restaurants and markets nearby is a good thing (I get dinner after the kids are in bed). We would also like to be close to the Tube for our daily activities.

We will spend time at the Princess Diana Memorial Park, but that may too large for our 'daily stop'.

I've seen apartments in Chelsea (just off Sloane Square), a mews off Kensington Park Road in Notting Hill, and Kensington (Gloucester Road tube). would any of these be better ?
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 01:29 AM

Hello Surfmom to help part answer your question I live just off Kensington Park Road in Notting Hill and I think I know the mews you are considering renting an apartment in. There are a couple of very small kids gated playgrounds within 5 mins walk of the location and within 20 mins you will have access to either Holland Park or Kensington Gardens (which is connected to Hyde Park and the Diana Memorial). Kensington Park Road also happens to run parallel to Portobello Road which has many good market days (visit www.notting-hill.org/portobelloroadmarket for opening times). There are also many varied places to grab takeaways from, a persoanl favourite of mine is Banger Bros., cooking tasty sausages recipes from around the world.

In terms of tubes, Notting Hill gate is the most accessible , approx 10 min walk (central line) with a journey time of approx 15 mins to Oxford Street.

Hope this helps, Onlinerunner.

P.s It will be dark around 5.30ish.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:32 AM

S. Kensington, Kensington High St. area might be a good location for you. Markets, parks, tube, museums including the Natural History, V&A, etc. What's your budget for your flat?

I've been using this site for flat rentals but others have their favorites.

www.londonguestsuites.com
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:51 AM

We've stayed here and liked it very much.

The location sounds like it would suit your family, on a very quiet street but only 3 blocks to ther Gloucester Rd. tube stop and a 10 minute stroll to the V&A, museum, RAH and Hyde Park.

There is a large grocery store about a 5 minute walk north on Kensington High Street.

http://apartments.hotels-london.co.u...artments.hotel
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Onlinerunner, thanks for the tips. Bangers... yum! As it turns out, the original ones were not available, so I'm onto Plan B.

Carrybean, thanks for the link. I've looked there - quite honestly, it is overwhelming with how much information to sort through! Budget? I'd like to be in the $3k - $3,500 range. If I find something lower that works awesome! If there is nothing available that is decent in that range, I can go up.

bardo, thanks for the link. When I click on availability, I get nothing. No matter how many days or when I start, all options are 'unavailable'. I don't know if they are totally booked or if they don't have March 2009 up yet ?

the search continues...
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM

surfmom,

That doesn't sound right - especially for low season. That is not even the booking site I used (I can't remember, it's been a little while).

Anyway, try googling "26-27 COLLINGHAM GARDENS" and a bunch of different booking agencies will come up. Try a few of them or, if needed, just telephone.