Neighborhoods in Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is planning a trip to Europe, and we are planning to spend 4 nights in Barcelona. There will be 4 of us—2 middle aged people, 1 10-year old and 1 15-year old. We would like to rent an apartment in Barcelona for a few days. We have found that that works out much better for us than a hotel room and have managed to do this in many different parts of Europe. Based on online searches, it would appear that we may be able to find a similar arrangement.

We are seeking input as to those areas that would work well for us (convenient to the things we like to do and safe) and areas that we should avoid because they may be unsafe or otherwise undesirable. We will be taking in some of the general tourist stuff (the kids were not all that intersted in the Sistine Chapel a few years ago, so we have to do this in smaller dosages). One of our preferred activites on vacation is to shop (for more unique things). We also like to be in neighborhoods where within walking distance of nicer restaurants. We would love to be able to rent and ride bikes (especially along the water), but this is not essential. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:44 AM

Hi there.
A good area to look for an apartment would be in the Born. There are plenty of amazing shops, resturants, bar etc, and its close to the beach and water. you will easily be able to rent a bike. there are rental places nearby. plus its near to park citudella, and the center of barcelonas old city. it can be a little touristy and noisy but its better than the gothic.

Barcelona is generally safe all over, except for pickpockets which are avoided by being street wise, sticking to well lit avenues at night and keeping an eye on your wallet/bag when in the metros, beaches, ramblas etc.

I would maybe avoid the Raval at night with kids, but honestly its not really more dangerous than any other area, if you are not stupid, and walking around with a pack of large cameras dangling around your neck

the neighbourhood of Gracia is also lovely, very family oriented with nice shops and restaurants, and plenty of plazas. it may be a little far from the beach and center of town, although barcelona is small and you can reach any area in around 10 mins on the metro. this area is also safe, and has an interesting catalan arty vibe.

You can read my "off the beaten track post in BCN" here
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-barcelona.cfm
, but i think you are on the right track. wandering along the water is always a winner, also the kids will probably have fun feeding the fish in the port near the bottom of the ramblas at the columbus statue!

try airbnb, loquo or craigslist to find affordable apartments.

have fun!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:43 AM

I agaree with Kat_Cameron, especially his recommendation of Gracia. We went there twice to wander around & have lunch at an outdoor cafe in a lovely plaza. We walked there from Sagrada Familia, but it would only be a short metro or cab ride to Eixample, Gothic Quarter, the beach, etc.

We also really enjoyed Parc Citudella, especially La Casacada. This would be a lovely place for bike riding, so Born would be a good area to stay in, too.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:10 AM

I don't usually say this but there was a very lengthy discussion of this topic (over 100 posts I think) about a month ago - maybe someone can link it.

My summary - you will get more room for the money in the newer part of the city (Eixample) but I also enjoy El Born and the old city for their atmosphere.

I believe there is a Fat Tire bike tour in Barcerlona that would be fun - you can also rent bikes - I'd suggest on a weekeday - we went out to the beach area and the park on a Sunday - way too crowded in many areas to enjoy the bike. There is a city bike rental program - maybe another poster will have details of that. Enjoy!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM

Avoid the Raval, period, other than going to the museums there if you so choose.

We don't know "the things" you like other than shopping, so this is not a useful parameter to tell you where to be. You can do a lot of shopping in Barcelona, but google search what's good - there's a lot of rubbish, especially on La Rambla.

The general concept I advise is to find a map of Barcelona and try to get a place within the box formed by connecting the Verdaguer, Diagonal, Universitat, and Tetuan Metro stations. The Born and the Barri Gotic are short walks from that area. Barcelona's central areas are not immense: We walked from Parc de la Ciutadella to Arc de Triomphe thru the Born and back to our apartment close to La Rambla in the latter half of an afternoon whilst carting two hobbits under 5 years old. And the Metro is fast and cheap.

Go to apartur.com to find rental agencies. There are many. Note that 1 sq meter is less than 11 square feet, so the 45 square meter apartments on offer are really flippin' small. We chose barcelonastuff.com because, unlike most of the other agencies, their security deposit did NOT have to be in cash. Most agencies ask for 300+ Euro in cash, which they'll refund to you the day you leave. That's useless if Barcelona is your last stop in the Euro zone because you either have to spend 300 Euro or exchange it at a bad rate for dollars. If Barcelona is not your last stop in Euroville, then that issue won't matter as much to you.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM

To follow up on Kat's post:

DO NOT USE AIRBNB OR CRAIGSLIST.

Barcelona has a thriving business sector in vacation apartments that is highly competitive such that you can find well-priced apartments in desirable areas with the guarantee that you will have recourse against the seller if something goes wrong. You do not have that type of guarantee with a Craigslist, airbnb, or loquo listing, which are just private classified ads with no way to tell if the listing party is trustworthy or a scammer (and given the enormous number of scams performed in Barcelona on a daily basis, a business scam is not an unexpected occurrence).

I advised you to go to apartur.com for a reason: it is an association of vacation apartment rental agencies and lists the members, all of whom have a vested interest in providing tourist-friendly accommodations. The list of members is long - there are more than 100, therefore there is a great deal of competition in the sector and you can find good pricing. Do not use services like airbnb or craigslist or loquo that will not offer you protection or even assurance of some quality level when you are in a foreign country.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM

As an American tourist I like to stay in Bari Gotic or El Born because they are ancient neighborhoods unlike anything we have here. If I were going to live in Barcelona I would probably want to live in Eixample area. Don't worry about crime. If you are robbed you probably won't be aware of it. The petty criminals there are experts so remember that you could put a purse or expensive jacket down and turn your head for one minute it could disappear. Just be aware, and yes Raval area at the end of Las Ramblas is seedy. I would not stay on Las Ramblas as it is a freak show. There are really fantastic and unique shops in Bari gotic. In eixample you will find the big multi-national chains like Benetton etc. You might want to eat breakfast at the Boqueria everyday, I know I like to.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM

We've stayed in several parts of the city and other than feeling needlessly uncomfortable at first in El Raval would say the choice of location depends on what you want to do.

El Born/Barri Gotic is a good choice for a short first visit. Tons of eating and shopping options and many key sights within a comfortable walk. Look for apartments that are on larger streets, not alleys. Most are well-lighted and there's activity at all hours, so you feel safe. Many are pedestrianized.

Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...32131,0.062571

Eixample, off the Passeig de Gracia, tends more toward residential/commercial. The university is in the Left Eixample (Eixample Esquerra); the Right Eixample (Eixample Dreta) is consistent. You can walk or take a short Metro ride to most popular sights.

Gracia is less touristic and developed, but it can be pretty busy and noisy if you end up in a bar area, which are many. Also many narrower alleys and streets and less well-lit.

Poble Nou, near the beaches, is a middle-class zone with a mix of business and residential. The water is comfortable late spring to late fall. It will take a little longer on the Metro to reach the Old City from here; 15 minutes vs. 10 from Eixample. Not as many good eating choices, but there are some.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 03:19 AM

BigRuss, I'm curious as to your comment on AirBnb. I'm pretty sure they guarantee a money back if there are problems (ie scammers) and they have a pretty good referral & review system. It does not make too much sense for a scammer to use Airbnb as listers have to pay to have their apartments rented.

Craigslist & Loquo obviously do not guarantee anything, and I would not pay anything until I actually reached the door of an apartment I chose to rent. Perhaps these websites are more useful if you are already in the city and want to change apartments- this way you can check them out?

Its a huge pity that you could get scammed on those sites, as often you can find great deals for fantastic apartments, without the agency fees.

I have never tried Apartur, but thanks for the info, will look into it in the future.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all of your input. It think we have some great info to start our search with.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Good luck with quality control on airbnb - it's a major resource for freeloaders (who call themselves "couchsurfers") and there are enough horror stories available on the web to make it a no-go. Its customer service also gets poor ratings, so cashing in on that guarantee is likely difficult.

<<Craigslist & Loquo obviously do not guarantee anything, and I would not pay anything until I actually reached the door of an apartment I chose to rent.>>

That's a useless gameplan for a family that is coming from far away and needs adequate accommodation and would then need to haul its bags around town looking for a decent place at the last minute if the place on Craigslist/loquo is a dump. And private one-property lessors cannot help a family find alternate arrangements like a reputable rental agency could.

Tb88: Sagrada Familia is not in Eixample Left. Maps of Barcelona orient generally toward the west at the top and the north to the right and the divider of Eixample Left and Right is basically Placa Catalunya. Sagrada Familia is to the north (RIGHT) of Placa Catalunya. Don't stay near the Sagrada Familia - it's not central to the other areas of interest but it's easy to reach FROM them.

If you plan to visit more than two of the sites it covers, get an Art Ticket BCN - go here to check it out: http://www.articketbcn.org/en/ and note that the ticket does NOT cover Casa Batllo (which has expensive admission).