Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Neighborhood To Stay in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/neighborhood-to-stay-in-paris-127507/)

Kathy Fantini Jun 1st, 2001 11:17 AM

Neighborhood To Stay in Paris?

I am traveling to London/Paris and still don't have a hotel in Paris! It is so confusing! Which neighborhoods are good to stay? <BR>

Julia Jun 1st, 2001 12:04 PM

Hi Kathy, <BR>I used to live in Paris and I would recommend staying right in the niddle, on the Ile de Citi (which is next to Notre Dame) in the niddle of the Seine, I believe it's in the 4th Ar. <BR>There is a nice hotel there called <BR>Hotel de Lutece <BR>65 rue St-Louis-en-Ile <BR> <BR>Very nice, clean - not big rooms or fancy but reasonable price and you will be able to walk to almost everything, left and right banks.

Jon Jun 1st, 2001 12:07 PM

Kathy, <BR>If you'll describe what you want in your neighborhood you'll get better responses. I like the action around Saint Germain des Pres because it's condusive to my lifestyle. Others find it too noisy and less desireable than the 1st or Marais. <BR>What type of atmosphere are you looking for? <BR>j.

Elizabeth Jun 1st, 2001 01:13 PM

I too am traveling to Paris and am overwhelmed by the hotel choices. I know I'd like to stay in an upscale, residential area. Any thoughts on the 7th and 16th?

StCirq Jun 1st, 2001 01:21 PM

The 7th and the 16th are both upscale residential areas. I love them both, but of the two I prefer the 7th because it's just a little more accessible to everything and has IMO a larger selection of cafés, restaurants, shops, etc. The area between the Ecole Militaire and Les Invalides has lots of nice and charming hotels.

Capo Jun 1st, 2001 02:10 PM

Hi Kathy. I prefer the 6th, or 5th, but any of the lower-numbered (and therefore, more central) arrondisements are good (if, by "good", you mean that your primary consideration is location.) <BR> <BR>It would be very helpful to those offering advice if you could be more specific about the kinds of things that make a neighborhood "good" to you.

mitch Jun 2nd, 2001 02:35 AM

The 7th,6th on the left bank or the 8th on the right bank would be my choices.Good luck. <BR>mitch

ahmet Jun 2nd, 2001 04:13 AM

We stayed at hotel elysee paris, its just few buildings away from Arc de Triump (hope ý spelled correctly). We easily travalled every where with orange carte ( a metro pass)and had beatiful night walks at Champs elysee. <BR>I booked the hotal from the web company called www.webscapades.com with a bonus free night for 4 nights of stay . It was cheaper then the hotels own tariff. Rooms were small but very lovely staff, clean rooms, quiet and very convinient location. <BR> <BR>best wishes <BR>ahmet

Deena Jun 2nd, 2001 04:25 AM

I have to recommend the 6th (Saint Germain des Pres). I've stayed in Paris two trips and love this area the most.

Fred Jun 2nd, 2001 06:25 AM

It's not critical at all where you stay as long as you're in the central area. The various areas are right next to each other, across the street from each other. There's no great demarcation line. Everyone has their own favorite area they will argue for. You'll be out and about the whole city anyway, and the city is so easy to get around you can go to most areas quickly and easily for sites, restaurants, etc. The 1st, 4th, parts of the 5th, the 6th, parts of the 7th, 8th - they would all be fine for a first timer. People like the 14th, 18th and others but for the first time I think the central area would be best. For more Paris information e-mail me - [email protected]

Kathy Jun 2nd, 2001 09:30 AM

Hi Kathy & Elizabeth, <BR>At the risk of sounding like a total geek, I would highly recommend the book "Paris for Dummies", and please don't be insulted or put off by the title. The book is a wealth of information for the first time visitor to the City of Light; most importantly, there is a desciption of the pros & cons of each arrondisement & hotel recommendations for each, with phone & fax numbers listed. (There's also info on the major museums, things just outside of Paris, explanation of the RER, etc., etc.) <BR> <BR>Based on our reading & a discussion of things we want to see, my cousin & I will be staying in the 7th. (We want to do touristy things like the Eiffel, the Arc, bateau mouche, but also shop a lot!) We're going mid-October. <BR> <BR>Hope you both have a lovely trip, <BR>Kathy