Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Neighborhood around Rue de Lille (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/neighborhood-around-rue-de-lille-881686/)

elcon Mar 12th, 2011 02:22 PM

Neighborhood around Rue de Lille

Hi Everyone,
I will be visiting Paris for the second time in May. I will be staying at Hotel de Lille on Rue de Lille near the D'Orsay. As I said, I have been to Paris before for a short trip but was wondering if anyone could tell me about this neighborhood. I've done most of the main attractions in Paris and am hoping to spend this trip being a bit more relaxed. Please don't tell me horror stories about the hotel, it's booked. I am more interested in knowing if anyone has eaten at a great cafe or found a cute or interesting shop nearby. Thanks!!!

theflock Mar 13th, 2011 02:55 PM

Rue de Lille is a quiet street one block south of the Seine. There are a number of restaurants on the street, as well as on rue de Verneuil which is one street away to the south. It's in the heart of the antique galleries on the Left Bank and just a short walk to the shops on rue Jacob and rue Bonaparte. I think it's an excellent location from which to access any area of Paris.

elcon Mar 13th, 2011 04:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. I would love to spend some time browsing the antique shops and sitting in some cafes this time around.

jpie Mar 13th, 2011 04:30 PM

One of my favorite restaurants in the area is Tan Dinh:
60 Rue Verneuil, 75007 Paris, France
+33 1 45 44 04 84

It is a Vietnamese restaurant, but I remember a lunch there along time ago watching the owners purchase truffles. Fascinating to watch the owner choose which $$$ truffle he was going to buy.

Your also aren't too far from one of our favorite restaurants which is a "baby bistro" by Christian Constant, who has other higher end restaurants.

His more casual place is called Cafe Constant:
139 Rue Saint-Dominique, 75007 Paris, France
+33 1 47 53 73 34

www.cafeconstant.com

It is probably a bit for to walk but easy by cab or metro.

theflock Mar 13th, 2011 07:24 PM

I enjoyed dining at:

Cinq Mars,
51 rue de Verneuil,
01 45 44 69 13

Laduree is at the corner of rue Bonaparte and rue Jacob, and there are many cafes and restaurants in the area around the église Saint Germain and rue de Buci.

The only downside to rue de Lille is that there aren't any Metro stations in the immediate vicinity, but it's so centrally located that it's an easy walk to almost everywhere.

jpie Mar 14th, 2011 09:40 AM

Sorry that was supposed to read{ it is probably a bit too far to walk.....

ro.

kerouac Mar 14th, 2011 11:26 AM

My opinion of the area: a total dead zone. Luckily it is not too difficult to walk from there to places with a bit of life, but I would be really depressed to have to stay there.

theflock Mar 14th, 2011 12:39 PM

Agree, kerouac, since it is largely a residential neighborhood. I have stayed on rue de Verneuil which is even quieter, but that was fine since I spent all day away from the hotel and was only there to sleep...and quiet residential neighborhoods are ideal for sleeping.

elcon Mar 14th, 2011 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the input. It wasn't my first choice, but I was able to find a place I could afford and figured I'd be out most of the time anyway. I'm just happy that I'll be back in beautiful Paris and will be able to spend time with my neice who is studying there. Thanks again!!

cw Mar 14th, 2011 08:04 PM

It's just the sort of area I like. You can be out at night walking around in lively and active areas, then head home along a quieter street. It's not as if it's more than a 5 minute walk from a more commercial area. And it's a block from the Seine. Hardly a dead zone--and there's great window shopping in the area--especially the wonderful nearby Aga stove store and the antique galleries.