Need your wonderful help for Mykonos!!

Jul 12th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Need your wonderful help for Mykonos!!

People here have been a great help to me and I have passed the word around in a few places including my blog:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/blog.html

You really saved me on our recent trip to Crete and Rhodes, now I have some important questions on Mykonos.

I am in Turkey now, so have to plan it on the move. I had been planning on just camping on Mykonos, but now it seems I have to go that way from Samos to Santorini ( where our motorhome is).

So I am thinking about staying two nights in a great ( but budget priced) place there for two nights. Yikes in high season yet.

Brotherleelove suggested Volcano Villas in Santorini which we just loved, so we would love to have an equivilent place that shows the best of Mykonos for around a hundred euros a night.

ANY ideas? AC is essential and a pool would be really nice since we travel with a 6yo. We are into beauty and relaxation not partying or sunworshipping at beaches.

Thanks!!
Jul 12th, 2007, 03:36 AM

WTnow

Check out the Rochari Hotel atbr />
www.rochari.com

Ask for a sea view. It's only an 8 minute walk into town but the hotel is located in a quiet area with magnificent views.

bill
Jul 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Mykonos, high season, AC, pool and a view for 100€. Sorry, but I think you my forget it. Maybe San Antonio Summerland. Maybe.
G.
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks billbarr,

Looks good, I will look deeper into that.

Ha ha Gasbard...I hear you and yes I am asking for a lot...but so far I have been lucky and have been getting most of what I want.

It does help to have lots of choices to hopefully catch someone who could use a visitor like me.

Thus far, even in high season , we have not found things so busy this year.

I got into Volcano Villas in Satorini ( spectacular caldera views!) and world renown Esbelli Evi in Cappadocia at great prices. Heck I even got upgraded to a suite at Esbelli which was the best place we have been to on our world tour!!

Many people told me I would NEVER get into Esbelli and similar comments about Oia in high season.

Sooooo....I have high hopes and looking for gems...just in case. I can go a little over 100 euros ( I paid 120 at VV which also had a great breakfast).

I am just hoping to find the right place at the right time. I am flexible some what on time...so sometimes that helps.

Are there certain days that are more tempting for the owners???

I have found Greeks good at working out win/win deals. I guess I am the type who has just done too many "impossible" things to give up now.

Jul 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I forgot to thank you for the Summerland rec., Gaspard!

Who knows, maybe I will get lucky , eh? I always figure, it can not hurt to ask.
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM

WT (World Traveler, right?!)

Happy that you guys are having a great journey. On Santorini you might want to try the Santorini Palace...just what you want...quiet, just a five minute walk to Fira town...nice pool and views. We enjoyed it a few years ago. Only problem may be the rate....may be 500E's for three nights (about $680)..try deslaing with them directly..here's the web:

Stu T.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/sant...84d072d51245ac
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM

WT: meant to write "dealing" above.

Ira: By the way, ..there is a hotel on Santorini named, yep, Hotel Ira!

Are you holdng something back from these boards?

Stu T.
Jul 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu!

Yep, WT is for world traveler One of those spontaneous ideas when I joined as I planned my take off almost a year ago.

I guess I was not clear ( I do ramble) but I am looking for a great place in Mykonos.

( I am on my way back to Satorini, but having just spent a month there, we will leave soon as we just need to pick up our motorhome that we left there with friends while we toured Turkey and some other Greek Islands).

It is kind of a complicated long term travel to explain in a few words...and why I appreciate the help of BTDT people.

Any great ideas for Mykonos???
Jul 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Hello WTnow

I agree with Gaspard. It will be difficult to find hotel with your specifics for July. Also, most hotels increase their rates in mi-dJuly usually by about 50%.

Rochari Hotel availability will be a probelm I think.

Two others to look at that are known to have similar rates and facilities to Rochari are

http://www.anastasios-sevasti-hotel.com/

http://www.poseidonhotel-mykonos.com/

I check there websites for you but can find no rates information so you will have to contact them directly I think from the websites.

One other to look at with a small pool but great views is La Veranda. It's address isbr />
http://laveranda.bravehost.com/

The rates are lower as it is a 'C' class but many people return there every year. Try emailign them please and they may give you price that suits.

thanos
Jul 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM

WT

your blog is excellent...keep it up throughout your incredible journey.

Stu T.
Jul 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Thanos! I was hoping you would join in this discussion. Yikes, it sounds like it truly is bad timing, but perhaps I will get lucky.

I should book now, but I am not sure when exactly I will be there. At least I have some good ideas on where to start now...thanks all!

Wow, and thanks Stu...so glad you like the blog. I feel that was a great compliment coming from you and yes we will keep it up as we go ( but like now I am usually behind getting them up as writing and traveling and uploading on the go is not always easy)

Jul 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM

WTnow
Sometimes I was glad finding a little hotel, run by a nice family.
Here are two in Mykonos/Ornos:
Hotel Asteri in Ornos
www.hotelasteri.gr
Phone: 2289-022715
[email protected]
or
Hotel Xydakis Ornos (pool)
Phone: 2289-022813
And may I suggest a trip to nearby Syros, the capital of the cyclades with an extraordinary good bookshop run by Mr. Stathopoulos.
Gaspard

Thanos,
I´m coming end of september.
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gaspard, I will check those out!!

Syros? Do tell me more. We were thinking of a trip to Delos, but honestly I have not even heard of Stros yet. Why do you suggest it?

( I am not totally ignorant, we are just going to too many places to know all the info about each place).

I have written to several places and have already heard from one that is available, so hopefully it will work out.

Jul 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Gaspard

I agree with you once again.

Syros is a beutiful island not visited many times by tourists. It is our capital. Connections by ferry from Mykonos are frequent. It is a very different island to others here. I think it is better to describe it as a working place.

Ermoupolis (Hermoupolis) the main city is on Anastaseos hill and has many very classical buildings, some very beautiful. Hermoupolis get its name from Hermes our god of commerce.

I am amazed you know Stathopoulos Bookshop on Proiou. I travel to it when I was in student days to get many books. It is about 100 years old.

I send you email.

thanos
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Worldtraveller,
Syros was since ´74 always on my road to Mykonos but I never stopped there. Then a friend in Mykonos told me about the bookstore in Ermoupolis, the special character of the town (greek orthodox and catholic) and the rembetika musician Markos Vamvakaris, born on this island. Rembetika is the music of a Greek sub-culture. You will find more informations in Elias Petropoulos´ "Songs of the Greek underworld" or Gail Holsts "Road to rembetika, songs of love, sorrow and hashish". Maybe the owner of Lilis tavern in Ano Syros will show the room, where he and Vamvakaris played rembetika music. I stayed in Apollonos (three rooms, one quadruple, old townhouse,8 Apollonos St) owned by Mr. Stathopoulos son, an interior architect. The next time I´ll go to Lila xenonas (guesthouse.gr) or rent the windmill (anemomylos.gr), 100 Euro in September.The food is extraordinary good in Ermoupolis, I liked the local cuisine in "Oinopnevmata". ((There are beautiful beaches too on Syros)).

And please read Platon Rivellis article on www.photocircle.gr/Syros/eng_syros_nisi.htm Mr. Rivellis is a photographer and teacher of photography art and ex-lawyer.

If you are more interested in cycladic architecture, visit nearby Sifnos, especially Apollonia, Artemonas and Kato Petali. But this is an other story ...
Gaspard
or
(harvey at internet dot lu)
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:25 AM

WTnow, I have no suggestions for Mykonos in my 6 trips to Greece I haven't made it there yet but I have been to Syros twice and it is wonderful. If I was to live on any Greek island I would want to live in Ermoupolis in Syros.
By the way I love your blog! It must be a lot of work but it's great.
Jul 18th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks Gaspard, Thanos and Trish for the info about Syros and more!!

Sigh, there is more to see than I have time I am afraid as I have already spent way more time in the Greek Islands and Turkey than expected.

I can see we will have to come back as there is so much to learn and experience here and extensive ferry travel is slow.

I am still upset that we missed spending a night in Symi when in Rhodes, but I mostly have time for "tastes" at this point.

I am glad to have the information, but I am not sure if I will get to Syros despite it sounding wonderful and so tempting.

I am actually trying to get out of Greece now or at least the Greek Islands as high season is not really our style and the plan was to be done by May.

I just do not want to leave the Greek Islands without seeing Mykonos,but not sure if I will have time for anything more.

My focus right now is really to get to Satorini to get our RV and head to Croatia with a few "must see" stops on the mainland like Delphi and Olympos for my child who dreams of being an archeologist.

Glad you are enjoying the blog, Trish. We are staying one more day in Ephesus ( went to Pamukkale and Aphrodisias yesterday by rent a car) so hopefully I will upload the next 5 or 6 blog entries today before we head out to Samos.

There are just too many wonderful Greek Islands to explore...impossible to see them all even with our open ended schedule.

We will have to come back!
Jul 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM

WTnow - I've been to Mykonos once before (stayed there a week) and was able to find a very nice hotel through The Mykonos Accomodation Service http://mykonos-accommodation.com/homepage.htm. They're a very reputable service. When my friend and I were leaving Mykonos, originally we had planned to take a high speed boat, but due to the rough weather we weren't able to. The MAC actually called us at our hotel to inform us of this and then got us booked on a plane out of there (we had to get our boat tickets refunded). I highly recommend them!
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks trafaelwyr! That looks like a very good resource for me to have, especially since I am winging this as I go in high season.

In my related thread ( trying to figure out how to do this by ferry) Brotherleelove mentions Syros as a way to get back to Santorini...so maybe I can get there after all. I am looking into it now
Jul 20th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Sigh...I am not sure if I am going to make it to Mykonos. It seems EVERYTHING is booked and people are sleeping on the street this weekend.

I did have a place almost. Even that agency has not been able to help.

I am in a catch 22 because I could not commit to the room or ferry separately as they are entwined and I could not book both easily from Turkey.

I can stall here another day and see if Sunday night makes things better.

I have a great place from Monday thru Wednesday..but no ferry comes in that day.

So far I have spent my whole day on this and still working. Mykonos on a summer weekend is no picnic to book.

Send me some lucky vibes and or good ideas or I will have to pass up Mykonos.

Perhaps it is for the best as I think I would like it in low season better, but this is probably my only shot and I did so want to see it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO