Reload this Page >

Need Your Help re: Vote for Hotel in Brugges and Brussels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 01:06 AM
ldsant

Am planning on spending 4 days in Belgium in March. After searching the fodors site and doing some research via the websites, I've narrowed down my hotel choices to two in Brugges: <BR> <BR>Hotel Teruinen <BR>Hotel Prinsenhof <BR> <BR>The older posts look like people on this board prefer these two the most, but is one more favorable over the other? I'll be travelling solo and will take day trips to Antwerp and Ghent from Brugges which seemed recommended by other fodorites. Could anybody please tell me which hotel they preferred and why? Thanks everybody!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:31 AM
wes fowler

I can only speak for Ter Duinen, a charming hotel with charming young proprietors. I've stayed there a number of times and always been more than satisfied with the accommodations. The hotel is canal side with spacious rooms, tastefully decorated, ample baths, triple paned windows to eliminate street noise, (which consists primarily of the hoof beats of the carriage horses as they move from their stables to the market square in the morning), air conditioning in most rooms, a pleasant dining room with superb breakfasts of eggs, baked goods, cereals, meats and cheeses, fresh fruits and juices served by the stunningly attractive proprietress. There is safe, on street parking in front of the hotel and a bus stop at the door. <BR>The only complaint I've read on this forum is that the hotel is about a fifteen minute walk from the market place. That walk is neither tiring nor dull; much is canal side past interesting architecture. <BR> <BR>I recommend the hotel highly.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:43 AM
wes fowler

Just saw your other query regarding the Ensor. I've not stayed there but know it to be a three star, eight room,canal side hotel about six blocks or so from the market square.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:05 AM
wes fowler

Another thought. If you're interested in information regarding restaurants in Bruges and Belgian beers, feel free to Email me directly.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Debbie

I am adding my two cents to the hotel in Brugge. Think long and hard about using Teruinen in Brugge. Its a wonderful hotel but a long hike into city if you do not have a car. As I have said in my earlier posts-even my 15 year "track team" daughter said that she would have preferred a closer location. Actually, there are quite a few hotels around the belfry and canals that would allow you to shop,eat,etc. while dropping stuff off at your hotel.Brugges is such a great city for walking and enjoying the sights and smells.Teruinen is along a canal in a residential area and is very nice. Its very big with German and English tourists. The staff was terrific but with the rain,distance into city and to train station(we did day trips to coast,etc. from train station)-we just wished that we could have cut off the extra 10-15 minute walk!That said-Wes was a wonderful help on Brugges so please use his suggestions for travel in that area. Debbie

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:52 AM
KT

I'm far from being a 15 year-old athlete, but I didn't have any trouble with the Ter Duinen's location. Maybe it's because I really enjoy walking while travelling. Also, while it's maybe 1/2 mile (certainly less than a mile) from the Markt and what I guess you'd consider the "heart of the action," it's still in a scenic part of the city, close to many historic buildings. There's a train from the station (which is in the other direction from the Markt, and not right in the center) to the bus stop right across the street from the hotel.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:56 AM
KT

Of course, I meant there's a BUS from the station to the bus stop. Silly me.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:23 PM
jhm

Great beers: Leffe (blonde), Corsendonk and Maredsous. Have fun! <BR> <BR>(if you are looking for a hotel in Brussels, the dix-septieme is very good -- well priced and great location)

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Deena

We stayed at a lovely hotel called Oud Huis Amsterdam in Brugges. It was centally located on a canal and our room was charming. The staff was very helpful <BR> <BR>In Brussels, we stayed at the Dixseptieme and couldn't have been more pleased with the location (near the Grand Place)and our room. It was a good choice.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Deborah

It's worth the extra money to stay in the center of town. Pick whichever is closest to the center but not necessarily on the Canal. The hotels on the Canal will charge a lot more and there are some great little hotels in town that don't border the Canal.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:19 PM
BillJ

What about the deSwaene? I have reservations there later in the spring? Considered "close in"?

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:10 PM
wes fowler

BillJ, <BR>It's about as close as you can get! It's on a canal with the old fishmarket on the far bank; it's about two short blocks from the Burg and tourist info office, an additional block (lined with shops) from the Bell Tower and Markt. <BR> <BR>Canal tour boat anchorages are a short block away as well.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:07 AM
ldsant

All of you are AMAZING! Thank you so very much for taking the time and providing great information; I appreciate it a lot.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Roger

ldsant <BR>I can not speak highly enough of the Hotel Prinsenhof. My wife and I stayed there in November 2000 and found the hotel and the owners to be wonderful. It is one of the nicest hotels we have ever used in our many travels to Europe, and the young couple that own the hotel are just super nice. Please treat your self and stay in this hotel. You will never regret it. The location is superb, the rooms are wonderful, the breakfast is outstanding, and as a big plus the hotel has a private parking lot if you are driving. Oh, did I say that I love this hotel? Go for it!