JFK Airport question

Search

JFK Airport question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK Airport question

My husband and I are flying into JFK in September to meet up with friends on our way to London. We are looking at 2 airlines to take up to JFK, but are wondering how much time we'd need to get to point A to point B. Here are the two scenarios:
Arrive to JFK at 3:00pm (Jet Blue), leave for London 6:30pm
Arrive to JFK at 2:08pm (Song), leave for London 6:30pm.
Also, when coming home from London, how much time should we allow to get through US customs? The flights departing to Orlando give us either a 3 hour lay over, or a 5 hour lay over. I know this is alot of info, but I am certain many of you use this airport for your international flights. Thanks!!
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:56 AM

As a matter of course, when I have alternate connection times at JFK, I always take advantage of the longer time unless it's way too much. In your case, if it were my reservation, I would try to arrive at JFK on the 3 pm flight because it should give you enough time.

On return, I have had quick times through customs and have also had staggering delays, depending partly on the time of year and time of day, and partly on unpredictable circumstances. So it's a matter of whether you have one of those quick times or not. On average, assuming you want to check in for the Orlando flight an hour before departure, you would have 2 hours to arrive, get baggage, and go through customs, then proceed to check in for Orlando. If the flight is on time, you shouldn't have a problem. If it is late, you might end up with a big rush to make the connection. My own decision on a return would be to allow the extra time for the later flight. Good luck.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:02 AM

On your outbound trip, 3.5 hours at JFK is more than enough time, especially if your luggage is being checked straight through (Orlando-London). Even if you have to pick up the luggage at JFK and recheck it, 3.5 hours should still be enough time.

On your return to the USA, the 3-hour layover may be adequate, but first check to see how far apart the terminals are. JFK is a huge airport, and it can sometimes take 30 minutes to travel from one part to the other.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:03 AM

You're supposed to check in 2 hrs before flight time for an intl. flight so to allow for delays etc., I'd choose the Song flight.

On the return, getting through customs is highly dependent upon the time you arrive & how many other flights are coming in at the same time. Also, how far in advance do Jet Blue & Song require check in? And if you're delayed for any reason, which airline has another flight if you don't make yours?
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Yes, there is a big part of me saying, take the extra time in case of any delays. I will probably go with Song. Anybody have any ideas of what to do with all that time there? Is there anything to do there? I am a bit spoiled with the Orlando airport (shopping, restaurants...)
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:05 AM

I'm not at all familiar with Song airlines, but I do fly Jet Blue often. They are usually very ontime [weather permitting] and are very efficient at check in. I can't see how there wouldn't be enough time with that choice. If you haven't flown with them, be prepared for a pleasant experience.

For the record, I have just returned from Heathrow, and everything went extremely smoothly going through customs. I was surprised at how quick it was. I've had some harrowing experiences at other airports [in Sydney and Aukland]. What airline are you flying from JFK to Heathrow?
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

American Airlines, provided they don't go under before September! So you think 3.5 hours going and 2.5 hours coming back is good enough with JetBlue? Song, as I understand it, is somewhat like jet Blue. So, I think either choice will be great. I hear that Jet Blue has t.v.'s and larger seats. Is this correct?
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 11:08 AM

3 hours should be more than enough either way barring some really major catastrophe--then even 5 hours might not be enough.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 11:31 AM

Jet Blue does have larger seats and individual tvs [much like American did on our flight to Heathrow]. I don't see a problem with going that route. If you end up on a tight schedule, which I wouldn't expect, you can take a cab to the Jet Blue terminal from American, instead of waiting for the airport shuttle. They're not far from each other [though too far to walk]
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Just an FYI, we decided to take the JetBlue option. Thanks for all the help!!