Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need urgent help booking Ryanair tickets!

Need urgent help booking Ryanair tickets!

Feb 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Need urgent help booking Ryanair tickets!

I'm trying to buy my tickets from Dublin to Paris. There's a drop down box to click your country in order to buy flight insurance. The US isn't listed so, of course, I clicked "not listed". When I try to continue on the to next page, it tells me that they strongly recommend flight insurance. But there's nowhere else to click for it. Can you not get it if you're from the US? And do I really need it?

Why is nothing ever easy!!
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM

I've flown ryanair lots of times and never bought flight insurance from them - all the standard stuff that goes wrong is covered under my regular travel insurance policy.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

But I don't have a regular travel insurance policy! I got automatic flight insurance on my tickets to/from Ireland when I used my Discover card to buy them. But, of course, Ryanair won't take Discover!

I don't mind buying the insurance from Ryanair but I can't figure out how to do so since US isn't one of the countries in the drop down box!
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:24 PM

You can decide or not to buy third-party insurance from another supplier, but there's absolutely no point in buying it from Ryanair because they don't sell to US residents. So just proceed with your Ryanair booking, making sure to prepay for sufficient bags for check-in if necessary (and note that the 15 kg checked limit is for all bags put together).
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM

Ryanair's trip insurance is designed mainly to give O'Leary a few more Euro's.

Don't bother with it and get your own instead - it'll be cheaper and be more comprehensive.

And check VERY CAREFULLY that you are buying what you think you are buying - if you need to check bags do it now as otherwise it's more expensive & time consuming to do it later and if you don't ensure you remove the option for "online checkin / fast boarding"
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone! Now I know not to worry about the insurance.

Since we're only going for 4 nights, I don't think we really need to check bags. But I'm a little concerned with how "generous" for lack of a better term, their carry on allowances are. I read the weight and size restrictions. But, what can I say, I'm a lazy American and the kgs and cms don't mean much to me. Is a standard size backpack likely to fit the requirements? Are we better off paying to check one bag (between the two of us) just to be on the safe side? I am a little concerned that if we buy stuff in Paris we won't be able to get everything in our carry on.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM

Personally I would prepay to check at least one bag. 1 cm = 2.54 inches, and 1 kg = 2.2 pounds, and Ryanair is not the slightest bit generous in its interpretations.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM

Sorry - 2.54 inches = 1 cm.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM

Aargh - 2.54 cm = 1 inch. Wish I could delete .
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, WillTravel!

I'm really beginning to wonder whether the hassles involved in Ryanair are worth the lower fares. But then I'm not thrilled about dealing with CDG. And the strike threat with Aer Lingus really bothers me.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM

There are other budgets airlines have a look at www.whichbudget.com just in case
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM

You're flying to Paris. 99% of the complains about CDG are from people connecting or departing.
Feb 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM

Note that Ryanair flies to Beauvais - which is a fair way out of Paris.

And they are not even remotely flexible about luggage.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

After all that, I wound up buying Aer Lingus tickets this morning! I didn't have a chance to get back to it last night. And, when I tried this morning, the great fare I'd wanted on Ryanair was gone. No matter how I tried to reconfigure it, there was no way that there wasn't some major drawback on Ryanair. And, even with the fare I'd originally wanted, there was no way we could fly with them that we wouldn't have had to stay in Dublin a night on one end or the other. With the Aer Lingus flights we'll be able to take the train to/from Galway, where my daughter has a flat, on the days of the flights. So, when you add in that cost, I think we're pretty much breaking even. And the flight times are so much better. (Not to mention that the carry on allowances seem to be somewhat better, or possibly not as strict).

I'm worried about the strike threat. But all of Ryanair's rules and regulations were making me a bit uneasy too. And mostly I'm just relieved to have it done. All that checking and rechecking of airline schedules and prices was making my head spin!

Thanks again to all of you who've been so helpful!
Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM

Hi CAPH52

Glad you got your flights book, now maybe you wont feel quite so stressed. Just a bit of info for you, you can check in a piece of baggage weight not more then 20kg for a fee of €8 each leg of your journey, or if you check in you baggage up to two hours before you flight, it costs €4. I would suggest checking one 20kg suitcase between your and your daughter, that way you will save a few euro, and it easier just to collect one suitcase. You can take a bag onboad with you weighing not more than 6kg, and i'm not completely sure of the dimensions but i think its 20x12, ( but check this out on the website)

I hope you find the hotel that suits your budget and the area you wish to stay in, ....I'm nearly on this trip with you

I wish you all the best for your trip, dont forget to keep us update with proceedings, and you MUST a trip report afterwards.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

My apologies that post should have read .." you can check in your baggage for a fee of €4 up to two hours before your flight , if you do it "online"

Have to remember to preview my posts
Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

The sad thing, Lucie, is that even when I preview my posts I often find a mistake after I hit "post"!

Thanks for the info and the good wishes! I thought about checking one bag when I bought the tickets but thought that, since we can also each bring a purse, we might be able to get by with carry on. I think you're probably right though. Especially since checking a bag would mean not having to carry on all our liquids in a zip loc bag! I'll probably go back and change that.

I'll definitely do a trip report when I get back!

Hey, you wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for a good, inexpensive place to stay on Inis More, would you?
Since my daughter's in Galway, I'd really like to spend a night. But there don't seem to be a lot of places open yet. And the ones that are seem to have really raised their rates. One of my guide books that's only a year or so old said to expect to pay around 30 Euro pp. But the places I've heard from so far have said 50 pp. Before I agree to spend that much for the off-season, I'd like to be sure that others have liked the place. I'd prefer to stay somewhere in or near the town where the ferry lands.

Thanks again!
Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:23 AM

Hi Caph

I havent stayed in this B&B, but i found it on the Go.Ireland website, it is approved, (it doesnt say by who, ubt i presume its Bord Failte) and its €35 per person per night, ( inc breakfast). You could email them and ask. Its called.

Kelly House
St Ronans Road
Kilronan
Inis Mor
Aran islands
Galway

Approved
Bed and Breakfast Accommodation

here is the website address.

http://www.galwaytourist.com/directo.../aran_islands/

Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lucie!

Kelly House wasn't available but the link you gave me led me to another place I'd read about in the Irish Tourist Board B&B guide. I'd thought it sounded good when I read about it. But, unfortunately, the guide didn't give an e-mail address. Thanks to your link, I was able to reserve the night we wanted. There was a 4 Euro booking fee. But I figure it was well worth it since, even with that fee, it's 26 Euro cheaper than the B&B from whom I'd gotten a response. And, again, there's the relief of knowing we have a room. Now I hope the weather cooperates so that the ferries are running that day!
Feb 25th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Thats excellent Caph, i'm delighted everything is falling into place for you, I'm really looking forward to reading your trip report.

If I can help you with anything else ( the irish part of your trip, let me know)

Search this Thread