Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Trip Ideas for Second Trip to Spain this April

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi! We are thinking of flying into Madrid for the first week of April. With the weekends, we are looking at about nine days. My husband wants to spend a few days in Madrid, but then we need to decide where else to go.

We have done southern France and the Andalusia region. We have done Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Ronda. He has seen Barcelona. We loved it all. Ronda was probably my favorite.

We both love history. Roman ruins high on the list.

Last time we stayed in Paradores and those were great, so I will probably end up planning it a bit around those. I'm a sucker for a castle or a convent.

I love medieval towns. I'm the country girl with sweeping views. We both love good food and plan to find some very nice restaurants.

We are thinking Valencia. But the route to get there could go several ways.

We love caves or just interesting geological things.

I want the furthest thing from April in Detroit. Suggestions??
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:03 AM

" We both love history. Roman ruins high on the list"

In this case, Merida is a must. The Parador at Merida is fine too. I would reach Merida from Madrid via Avila (walled city) - Salamanca (medieval center) - Caceres (medieval too). May be you could continue from Merida to Badajoz - Elvas - Evora (both historic places in Portugal) and fly home from Lisboa.
Avila, Salamanca and Caceres have Paradores too.
Trains from Madrid to Avila - Salamanca, from Madrid to Caceres - Merida - Badajoz - Elvas, from Evora to Lisboa.
Buses from Salamanca to Caceres - Merida, from Elvas to Evora.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Oh that sounds fantastic! I will check that all out.

I did forget to add that I do love the Mediterranean, even knowing that it will be before beach season. And islands. I love islands.

And also we love to rent a car. My husband loves to drive in Europe and now with cell service we have no problems finding things! Oh those past trips...
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Okay just googled Merida. Now I think we do have to head that way! We were in Portugal including Lisbon recently. Plus we can fly Air Canada direct in and out of Madrid for not very much out of Toronto, so I'm still thinking of circling back that direction.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:39 AM

Two thoughts....

1. Tarifa, Cadiz and the white villages. This might involve some ground you've previously covered, but we spent a few days there in March a few years ago and thought it was spectacular - great weather, beautiful towns, affordable...

There's a Parador in Arcos de la Frontera, or plenty of cool places on the beach near Tarifa (we stayed at the Hotel Hurricane and would recommend it highly.) Close by are some great white villages like Vejer da la Frontera and Medina Sidonia, and great Roman ruins on the beach at Bolonia.

Vejer -

Bruja at Medina Sidonia (check dates for Carnival)

Bolonia Roman city

2. Alentejo, Portugal. You can fly round trip from Madrid to Lisbon for under US$100, and with a car from Lisbon airport you could drive out to (stunning) Evora with all its Roman ruins in less than a couple of hours. There's a spectacular Pousada in Evora, or, if it was me, I'd continue east to the hill town of Monsaraz. Some years ago we stayed a few nights in one of the most memorable hotels in all of our travels, the Horta da Moura - HORTA DA MOURA - HOTEL, ALENTEJO, ALQUEVA - in the Alentejo countryside surrounded by cork trees (complete with storks) and possessing some friendly horses. This is a fabulous region of Portugal, worthy of some serious visiting.

Roman temple, Evora

Monsaraz

Alentejo in the spring

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Wow this is getting difficult! Too much to see!! I forgot about Evora. I had wanted to get there when we were in Portugal, but didn't get a chance. I think the white villages will be too far, but Evora and Monsaraz might be doable! Thanks!
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Whoa, found this which mentions exactly the week we would be there as the best time to go. AND husband is a GOT fan. He just finished the latest book that just came out:

Extremadura

The stunning Jerte Valley is known for its beautiful cherry trees.

Hugging the Portuguese border in arid southwest Spain, the region of Extremadura may be the country's most exciting frontier when it comes to tourism.

It's worth spending an afternoon in the region's capital, Mérida, touring the gargantuan, meticulously preserved Roman amphitheater.

But there's more to do in Cáceres, whose UNESCO-protected Old Town is so convincingly medieval that it features in numerous King's Landing scenes in "Game of Thrones." (King's Landing is the fictional capital of the Seven Kingdoms and where most of the show's action takes place.)

Insider tip: What you'll save on accommodation (hotel rates are low compared to other Spanish cities), you should spend at two-Michelin-starAtrio (Plaza de San Mateo, 1, 10003 Cáceres; +34 927 24 29 28), an architectural triumph of a restaurant overlooking Plaza de San Mateo.

When to go: The rolling hills of the Valle del Jerte, northeast of Plasencia, erupt in a riot of pink cherry blossoms every year from March 20 to April 10, making spring an ideal time to visit the region.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:37 PM

A loop through the Alentejo and Extremadura regions would be a piece of cake. https://goo.gl/maps/2Bedi6f9JxP2
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking just that, but out of Madrid. With a stop in Toledo on the way back.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 05:59 PM
kja

Your options are nearly endless! That said, with 9 days and a plan to fly into Madrid, you might consider Madrid, Toledo, Segovia (Roman aqueduct), Avila, and maybe Salamanca and/or Cuenca.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 06:10 PM

You could spend your last couple/few days in Toledo and take a taxi from there directly to Barajas Airport instead of returning to Madrid for the return flight. Put Madrid at the beginning of your trip to recover from jet lag.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 09:58 AM

In 5-6 days, not everything will be possible. Isuggest:
Day 1: Madrid - Segovia - Avila, sleep en el Parador de Avila
Day 2: early start at Avila, full day at Salamance, night in the Parador de Caceres
Day 3: vsit of Caceres, move to Merida (Parador), visit Merida
Day 4: drive dierctly to Evora, visit Elvas and Badajoz on the way back (if you have time)
Day 5: drive along the E90 to Toledo or Madrid.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 05:29 PM
kja

Originally Posted by neckervd View Post
In 5-6 days, not everything will be possible.
I agree! But I'd say that the suggested itinerary would be WAY way WAY too rushed for me. I trust kelliebellie will do some research to decide what works best for them, noting that every choice will be difficult and the outcome delightful not matter what the choice.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!! Right now I'm trying to convince my husband to leave just one day earlier because I always seem to think, if we just had one more day...

But at least I have a part of the country to work with. I do like that five day plan very much, especially if we can take that same route and do it in maybe seven days. But we will see!
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 11:39 AM

even in a week that is very rushed - twice as much time would be needed to make it relaxed - son't try to see everything in a few days and then be on boring autostradas most of day.