Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Trenitalia Guidance (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-trenitalia-guidance-679168/)

sp9 Feb 12th, 2007 11:02 AM

Need Trenitalia Guidance

Hi there - yesterday I was trying to book some train tix on ES train from Venice to Florence dep at 10:30A. I have some q's:

- Since we're a family of 4, are we entitled to the family discount? I kept getting asked for a Cartavaggio number. Can someone offer guidance on what this is or should I just buy the standard fare for the four of us (2 adults + 2 children)?

- Next even after I select the std fare, enter my user id and pw, I get the following msg when I click on Continue: "The requested train is not reservable for chosen date."

I then tried to find out why I was getting this msg and then when I read the details on the train there is a symbol that says that this train must be reserved in Italy.

Has someone been able to reserve a train from Venice to Florence via trenitalia site from the US and confirm tickets and seats? If yes can you advise how you did it?

Many thanks in advance as I want to also book a train from Florence to Rome as well.

TimS Feb 12th, 2007 11:14 AM

The Cartavaggio is only available to residents of Italy.

Were you trying to book tickets for a date more than 60 days from today? If so, that would account for the message "the requested train is not reservable for chosen date."

ira Feb 12th, 2007 01:16 PM

Hi sp,

Ditto Tim.

If your children are under 11 you get the family rate for 2 adults and 1 child.

The other child is a "raggazo(a)".

((I))

ira Feb 12th, 2007 01:17 PM

PS,

Children under 4 go free.

sp9 Feb 13th, 2007 09:40 AM

Hi TimS and Ira
First - Thanks for your reply. I am sched to depart Venice on 04 April which is now less than 60 days. I have one child that's 12 and the other that's 9. This is what I tried this AM based on your fb:

- I selected the Std fare and entered 2 Adults and 2 children
- I had no idea what to enter for coach number and seat number.
- I tried to click on the seat icons to select seats and I was only allowed to select two. Not sure why...
- I opted to purchase e-tickets
- I still got the same error message that "The train is not reservable for chosen date."
- I tried all of the above at 9A West coast time

So I'm stumped. Again I welcome your guidance.

Mandilulur Feb 13th, 2007 09:53 AM

We took that exact same ES train this past Friday from Venice to Rome, stopping in Florence. I had also looked at the trenitalia site then punted the whole affair to my travel agent who handed me the pre-reserved, paid-for tickets! I believe it cost me $20 and gave me peace of mind.

TimS Feb 13th, 2007 11:01 AM

sp9 - I tried to do a dummy booking using your information, only to discover that I now have my own issues to deal with on the Trenitalia site. I was told that my password had expired and I would need to choose a new one. I tried to do so, but I was unsuccessful.

ira - Can you help sp9?

ira Feb 13th, 2007 01:26 PM

Hi tim,

Go to the "Customers Area" to change your password.

((I))

ira Feb 13th, 2007 01:51 PM

Hi SP,

At www.trenitalia.com, choose your train.

Click 2 adults and 1 child.

Choose Familia 25% fare. If it's not available choose Familia 15%.

Click "ADD"

Add one child.

At this point the English site refused to add a child, so I went to the Italian language.

Same problem.

Other tack.

Buy the family tickets for 2 adults and 1 child as above.

Choose your seats.

You will get a confirmation number showing which seats you have.

Now buy 1 ticket for a child.

Go to "Seat near to" and enter the seat info.

You should get your child sitting next to you.

Don't worry if it isn't.

Whoever has the seat next to you will change to let your child sit with you.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

sp9 Feb 14th, 2007 08:23 AM

Ira
Tried your suggestions all to no avail. I am still getting the same message: "Train not reservable...". I can't purchase tickets w Family rate bc I don't have a Cartaviaggia card.

At this point I'm going to call a AAA travel agent and see what they can do for me. Very frustrating to say the least...

Many thanks for offering your guidance.

ellenem Feb 14th, 2007 08:38 AM

sp9

Do you really need to book these tickets ahead? Unless you are traveling on a Friday or hoilday, you should be able to buy them a few day ahead once you're in Italy.