Need transport advice for daytrip Paris London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be crazy, but I’m thinking of doing a day-trip to London from Paris to see the T/W/M exhibit and the Tate modern (boat ride in between). Anybody have any ideas about whether it would be better to Eurostar it (around €150) or fly (saw an €85 flight on the SNCF sight). Given the time to get to the airports and additional costs, I’m not sure there is any difference!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
ewt

There probably isn't any difference. I have been debating the same thing and the difference is only like $2 (Eurostar actually costs more). However, my friend has assured me that it is easier to hit the ground running upon arrival because you are already city center. Plus, customs isn't quite the same when you aren't coming into an airport. So in a way, the plane takes longer.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Besides being sooooooo much easier, the Eurostar would have another definite advantage in your case.

The Tate to Tate boat stops midway between them at the London Eye pier. This pier is less than a 5 minute walk from Waterloo International. So you can get off the train, walk to the river, catch the boat to Tate Modern and then take it up river to Tate Britain.

This would be so much easier, faster and cheaper than getting into London from any of the airports.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:24 PM
yk

LVSue-
I'm afraid I'm partly responsible for this???
The Eurostar price seems a bit expensive. I think PalQ has recommended Budget Europe (800-441-9413) on this board before for Eurostar tickets. Have you tried pricing on both Eurostar US & UK websites? Also, RailEurope has some "leisure" fees for Eurostar, which may be a better deal considering the £is so expensive.

Also, in case you didn't see this link I've posted before, you can get in the exhibit for £7 instead of £10.
http://www.london2for1.com/2for1/att...urnermonet.asp
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

No, YK, you are entirely responsible for this! But it seemed like such a great idea. I had planned to do small city museums in Paris, so I actually wouldn't be museumed-out at all. It seems like a great adventure (with no luggage!!!).

I thought the fare seemed high, too. I'll check your sites. And I had bookmarked your 2for1 site.

Janis (and ewt), thanks for the train advice. I was pretty much convinced of that, but the boat stop being close to the Eye cinches it.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Huzzah, it's a done deal. I finally checked out RailEurope and got a RT for $92. Completely forgot about the 2/1 tickets, but the senior ticket was only a pound more. I'm so proud of myself that I actually carried through.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:33 PM
yk

Hi LVSue-

I'm glad you got your tickets. That's an excellent deal. Hope you'll enjoy your trip to London. (When are you going again?)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM
yk

LVSue-

I wonder if you could check something out for me when you're at the T/W/M exhibit. I have a small argument with my boyfriend regarding a painting: Monet's "Sunset on the Seine, Winter effect".
Image link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/galle...122123,00.html

I am convinced that the painting is at the exhibit, whereas boyfriend doesn't think so. When I checked the catalog, the painting is listed as "exhibit in Toronto & Paris only."

Obviously, I can't possibly fly back to London to find out the answer myself, and it's been bugging me! If you can find out the answer for me, that would be great!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

What a fabulous painting! I don't think I've ever seen it before. Since it is at the Petit Palais, and that is closed for reconstruction, I don't see why they would have to have it back, but I'll sure look!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:23 AM
yk

Thanks, LVSue.
Hope you enjoy the exhibition and have a good trip. Eagerly waiting to read your trip report.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM

LVSue: We saw the Turner Whistler Monet exhibition in Paris last November. It was excellent. We also got the audio guide, which added to the experience.

Have you purchased tickets for T/W/M at the Tate? To make the most out of your limited time in London, get timed tickets in advance. You might be able to buy them online. http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/

Last month we took the Eurostar from Paris to London for a daytrip. It was a last-minute trip to visit a dear friend who just had a serious accident. The Eurostar was very efficient: there was virtually no wait for the security lines, and the trains were on time. The train arrives in London at Waterloo Station, which is more convenient than arriving by plane at Heathrow, Gatwick or Stanstead.

You will need to bring your passport. Also, if you have some English Pounds at home, bring them to buy tickets for the tube without having to find an ATM. Pocket size tube maps are readily available at the station.

Have a great time.

Woody