Need tour guide in Italy

Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Need tour guide in Italy

Help! Can anyone recommend a tour guide for Rome and Florence that isn't too expensive but good?
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:33 PM

I posted about this a few weeks back and was told Enjoy Rome was good. enjoyrome.com.
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:33 PM

We had a great experience with Enjoy Rome. Evening walking tour of Rome was great. Young American woman living in Rome. This was in 2000. Hope she's still there and you can make the arrangements. Their office was near the Termini Station.

I think it was cash only.

Good luck
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:05 AM

In 2002, we did the Scala Reale tours in Rome (scalareale.org). Small group of 6 with an English-speaking guide. Most tours are half-day and incredible! Not the cheapest but certainly better than going in a crowd of 40 people where you can't see or hear anything...
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Enjoy Rome is considerably cheaper than Scala Reale but has equally good reviews.
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:15 PM

1st off, I'm a Scala Reale fan so I am bias .
SR does a 4hr tour of the Colosseum, Palatine and Roman Forum.
ER does a 3hr tour of the Colosseum (I believe only the outside?), Roman Forum, Capitoline Hill, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and the Piazza Navona.
More sites with more ground to cover and in less time.
SR and ER both do the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's but SR is 4hrs and ER is 3hrs.
Even if they both used the same tourguide SR would be more in-depth because of the time factor and the number of sites in the ancient Rome tour IMO.
Regards, Walter

Sep 26th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Our tour with Johnny from Through Eternity (www.througheternity.com) was the highlight of our trip to Rome. He does private tours as well as groups. Good luck!
Sep 26th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely check out those web sites.
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:24 PM

check www.IconTours.com

Just got back from Italy and used them in Rome. American students that speak English. We used them for Vatican and were very impressed. Douglas was our guide. Prices are also very reasonable. Vatican Museum is 25 euros per person. Email me if you have any questions.

We also had a guide in Florence. He isn't real detailed in history, etc. He is more of a "show you around" guide. He also does driving tours throughout the area. We hired him to drive us two days and it was the highlight of our trip. His email is [email protected]. His name is Mr. Cammilli.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Another vote for Enjoy Rome. Did a three hour walking tour of Trastevere and and the Jewish Ghetto and was very pleased with the guide.