Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need TOUR guide from Florence to Sienna and San Gamig.

May 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

hi-

I need a tour= full day- from Florence to Siena and San Gamigmiano...
with a stop for lunch, english speaking guide, ac car or van.

I have already contacted Roberto who is listed on this site but he is already booked.

THE DATE needed is Aug.28 or any day thereafter until Aug.30

I want to be picked up and delivered back to my hotel IN FLORENCE....

ALL help will be appreciated!!

THANKS
May 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I can highly recommend Luca Garapa of Hillsandroads.com, who is based in Siena, but does tours of all the hill towns and Florence. We really enjoyed the day trips we took with him. He personalizes each itinerary and can also take you to fabulous out of the way places for lunch in the countryside, as well as to wine tastings. The only problem is that he's getting very popular, so I'd e-mail him right away if you're interested!
May 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

weadles- thanks - I just emailed him-- but I think I emailed him a few weeks ago and he was already booke...

Still NEED PRIVATE TOUR GUIDE..

All of you out there- HelP!!
May 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Andy,

A few years ago we (four couples) took a day trip from Florence to Siena and San G with this company:
http://www.masternet.it/home/IITT/2dgs.htm

Our driver's name was Guiseppi. He picked us up at our hotel (Plaza Lucchesi) and delivered us back. He was an excellent driver-guide, and we really had a good time.

I also remember that the concierge at the hotel seemed a little put out at us because we didn't let him arrange the trip.

You might e-mail your hotel and ask for a recommendation from them for such a day trip.

Byrd

May 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Has anyone used [email protected]

I emailed him- he is a Siena native and a univ.grad..

Rates seem good-- all other mentioned on this site were booked.

His website is undergoing change and the only thing listed was his email.

He is NOT a licensed tour guide-
So all help will be helpful

Andy
May 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Andy: Are you staying in a hotel? Have you asked them to recommend a guide?
May 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Have not emailed the hotel--I have used FODORS for years for the great tips and know the guides have been used previously....

I am emailed Master Net and will see what their tours include..

KEEP THOSE POSTS COMING IF ANYONE CAN SUGGEST ANY OTHER TOUR GUIDES FOR SIENA AND SAN GIMIG.....

Have emailed all the ones below and they are booked:

[email protected]
[email protected]
sunflower tours
tours by roberto

a few of the other recommended were exceptionally expense-- 670 Euro for full day tour-while the other listed above were highly touted and almost 1/2 the price of the one I listed above.

Still taking suggestions

Thanks!!
May 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM

andy, I would ask Luca (hillsandroads.com) if that Alioscia is one that worked with him. I used Luca for three separate days about a year and a half ago. For one of the days, he was booked and had his associate take me instead. His name was Alioscia. Since that's not all that common a name, and he was a native of Siena, I'm thinking it might be the same guy. He did a good job for me the day I had him. But I would check with Luca. Maybe Alioscia is trying to do it on his own.
May 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
jgg

Try contacting Megan at www.bellavitaitalia.com. We used her for a daytrip to Cinque Terre as well as her cooking class and really enjoyed both, I can highly recommend her. She lives in Lerici (on the Ligurian coast) but does private tours in Tuscany as well.
May 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM

One of the lawyers in my office is going back to Tuscany in the fall and staying at www.letorri.com. They are using the same guide they used last time that was recommended by their villa. The website recommends three -Luca of Hills and Roads, Paolo Fanti of www.masternet.it, and Dott. Marcello Grandini at [email protected]. I know they didn't use Luca last time because I asked when she mentioned they were hiring a guide, but I don't know whether they used Paolo or Marcello. I'll ask at the office Monday. The website seems to give the highest recommendation to Marcello. I'm not sure what Dott. stand for. Anyone know?
May 12th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Dottore, which is "doctor" but not in the sense of a physician.
May 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM

We use [email protected], when we go to Italy, no matter where in Italy. We have become family to these nice folks. They speak good English and are tremendously knowledgable and polite. They will try to help keep your expenses down and take you to places that are not tourist traps. Check out their website. They have apts. in their villa in Rome. Their fleet of vans and cars are luxuries.
Send an inquiry to Monia at the above email and I think you probably won't need another response to your request.
They took us to Florence and San Gamigmiano on our first trip. It was to die for. I am very hot natured, so they kept me cool. Ha.
Tell them Shirley sent you.
Ciao