Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need to travel from Siena to Positano by train. What are my options?

Jan 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

We expect to take the train from Siena to Florence and then from Florence onto Naples. I understand that there is not a train from Naples onto Positano --which is our final destination.

What is the BEST way continue onto Positano from the Naples train station? I'm assuming that if you have a lot of luggag, a private limo would be best? Are there such things as shared vans that might stop along the way? Just looking for all my options including some inexpensive ones as well.

Finally, does the inter-Italy train schedule come out 60 days prior to our travel dates? We're leaving in September so the train schedule isn't posted yet. I just wanted an idea of the times we can leave Siena for Naples.

Thank you!!
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Anyone??
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hi

You could take a ferry, very scenic - http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=tra

Otherwise train to Sorrento then bus to Positano. Bit of a pain with lots of luggage though.

Good luck
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM

are you travelling from Siena to Florence because you want to see Florence?

Or because you are under the impression that you must travel north to Florence to get a train to Naples?

If the latter:

A quick check on trenitalia indicates that from Siena, you change in Chiusi. No need to pass by Florence at all.
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM

You may want to take the train to Naples and then get the train to Salerno (bypassing the Amalfi coast) so as to avoid the crowded, dirty, slow commuter train to Sorrento. From Salerno you can take a ferry to Positano, or a bus. I did this and it worked out well.
Jan 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM

We took the train from Orvieto through Rome to Naples, then a private driver to Positano. The cost (for the limo - a Mercedes van large enough for 4 adults and luggage) was 120 Euros (there may be cheaper). The Naples train station is a bit seedy, and it was nice having a driver meet us in the station.

You can also take a ferry directly from Naples to Positano. We couldn't do that due to a schedule conflict.

I recall that Trenitalia does not sell tickets earlier than 2 months in advance, but I'd imagine that the schedule itself does not vary that much (it didn't for us).

Hope this helps.

KC
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM
ira

Hi IL,

Good advice above.

The train schedules for Sept will be about what they are today.

Your options are:

A1 Bus to Florence, train to Naples,

A2 Train to Naples,

From Naples, either commuter train to Sorrento and SITA bus to Positano or ferry to Positano.

B Bus to Florence, train to Salerno, ferry to Positano.

For Ferry schedules Positano Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp