Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need to skip one Greek Island-help me pick which one (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-to-skip-one-greek-island-help-me-pick-which-one-26926/)

Jennifer Jun 10th, 1998 06:17 AM

Need to skip one Greek Island-help me pick which one

I need some advice from experienced Greek island travellers. I have chosen four islands to visit but only really have time to visit three before going to Turkey. I am 27 y/o female travelling alone but not looking for party central, can do that at home. My choices right now are Mykonos, Santorini, Crete (samaria gorge) and Rhodes. I have to get to the southern side of Turkey so thought of taking ferry from Rhodes or possibly flying from Crete if there is a flight. I really need advice on which one to cut out of my trip and why you suggest it. From reading different posts I am leaning towards excluding Mykonos but need some input from people who have 'been there - done that" Thank you for any input you may have.

Monica Jun 10th, 1998 02:58 PM

Haven't "been there, done that" for those particular islands, but definitely don't miss Rhodes. From what I have read, it's supposed to be a great place to visit. And also, I've heard that Crete is a nice place to visit. I may not have helped you, but just wanted to give you my thoughts!

Boris Jun 10th, 1998 08:46 PM

Jennifer, <BR> <BR>You can really see Rhodes in 1 day - just the old town and Lindos of any real interest. So I would see Mykonos, Santorini, Crete (just the western end) then fly from Heraklion, Crete to Rhodes (flight at about 5pm), spend 2 nights in Rhodes and them catch the morning hydrofoil to Marmaris, Turkey (trip takes about 1 hr depending on the sea). E-mail if you want further info.

Inge Jun 11th, 1998 02:15 AM

Skip Mykonos. It's a tourist trap and can be very dangerous. Full of Albanian illegals who are desperate. Western tourists are often their targets.

Patty Jun 11th, 1998 02:46 AM

Don't miss Santorini or Crete both are great. Less time is needed for Santorini than Crete because of its compactness. We skipped Mykonos because we were told it was a tourist trap by friends who had been there. Also, you may want to consider skipping it if you are flying Olympic Airlines to get there. We met several people in the Santorini airport that were stuck on Mykonos for two extra days because they kept getting bumped from their flight even though they had reservations because Olympic notoriously over books. We were there in June, 1997. Hope this helps.

Margaret Jun 12th, 1998 06:06 PM

Loved Rhodes--could spend a month there. Santorini spectacular, of course, and Akrotiri intriguing. Crete most worthwhile. Mykonos only good for proximity to Delos; got back on boat tender after less than two hours.

David Jun 15th, 1998 12:37 AM

Definitely skip Mykonos and Olympic Airlines. I have friend who was drugged and robbed there. The police told him it happens all the time. I recently flew Olympic, and it was a disater waiting to happen. The door wouldn't close, then it wouldn't open when we landed. The staff is always on strike or threatening to do so. The only thing positive about Olympic is the food - it is good. Take the ferry or the Jet boat to the islands and use a different airline to get to and from Greece.