Need to make decision quickly about possible European trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two oldest kids will be performing at the Fringe Festival in Scotland as part of an ensemble with their high school (they are 15 and 17 years old and may not ever perform at this type of venue again together as the oldest is heading off to college in a year) As a family we have always dreamt of traveling to Europe together.. They will be traveling from the USA to London and spending a few days there before heading to Edinburgh for a week or so.. total travel time for this student group is 12 days.

We are going to try to piggy back off of this trip, since we are already incurring the costs of getting them there...My husband, younger son (age 10) and I are contemplating flying into London, staying there for a day or two, then meeting them in Edinburgh at the tail end of their trip to see a performance, spending a few days in Scotland with some family members who have a connection for a place to stay.. and then heading off to Paris for a week or so. We would begin by flying into Heathrow and then travel mostly by train there, and then at end of trip fly out of Heathrow.. so that we can all fly home together.. I should add that we have traveled quite a bit, so kids are easy. Budget is a consideration, but not horribly restrictive.

Does this seem like too much? Is Paris a good idea as our "family vacation" or should we consider another destination? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. We would be traveling in August of this year, but I have a deadline to work within this week. Thank You ; )
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Paris is a good idea, but not returning from Heathrow. It will probably add a night's cost to your return trip, not including the wasted time. If your sons are with a group, let them return with the group. If they are not traveling with the group or just going one way with it, see if you can arrange for an open jaw ticket for them too, arriving in London and leaving from Paris.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM

It sounds doable to me and even though Paris could be quite hot in August, so could lots of other places. Since so many folks in Paris go on vacation themselves then, it probably won't be so crowded either. Congratulations on your talented kids. Sounds like this could be a great family trip. Enjoy.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM

You'll need to sort out your accommodation in Edinburgh NOW. You'll probably find that all the "good stuff" has already gone.

I presume that they'll be part of the American High School Theatre Festival at Church Hill - if so there's a nice Italian place called Nonna's Kitchen - http://www.list.co.uk/place/104007-nonnas-kitchen/ and Church Hill itself has a branch of Loopy Lorna's if you want some disgusting gooey cakes & lashings of tea - http://www.list.co.uk/place/103337-l...nas-tea-house/
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM

I've been to the Fringe Festival, it was fantastic. Well, if it were me, I might include some place other than Paris, but it sounds like you don't need to visit Scotland as you already have? If not, I'd stay there, or maybe England, like the Lake District, whatever. Otherwise, I suppose Paris is as good as any place.

Or, you could add in Ireland or Denmark, etc. But it's up to you where you most want to visit, no right or wrong that I can see.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stay in Scotland myself (and fly home from Edinburgh or Glasgow). Scoltand is absolutely FABULOUS for family travel.

But if you want to squeeze Paris in -- then fly to Paris from EDI or GLA and fly home from Paris . . .
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I just found this site and can't believe this.. Thank YOU all! We have never been to Scotland.. it's a coincidence that I will have relatives there at about the same time, who happen to be very well connected to one of the Golf Clubs/Lodges that are only a few trains stops from the Fringe Festival Area.. Yes, I just spoke with the Travel Agent and we can fly home from Paris instead of going back to Heathrow.. Unfortunately, once I make any changes to their itinerary from the school group.... they cannot take advantage of the "school price" so we would be paying regular airline fees.. BUT... it seems that this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity and may warrant pulling together all possible resources to be there together and make some great memories.. My perception is that we can't be in Europe.. without experiencing Paris or Italy - is that terrible? My guess is the boys will be "done" with Scotland by the end of the festival.. and they will have already experienced some of London.. It's just always been a dream to "do" Paris or "Italy"... the hopeless romantic in me I guess - haha
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

I am going to do more research on Scotland... : ) Perhaps, I am potentially complicating this and in fact can have a fantastic time there...
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>My guess is the boys will be "done" with Scotland by the end of the festival.. </i>"

That is like saying someone who is performing in LA will be 'done w/ California'. They will be playing to crowds in Edinburgh - not seeing Scotland.

I have yet to meet a child or teenager who didn't love Scotland. Paris is great too of course, but if I'm already in the UK and can spend extra time in Scotland, that would be my 1st choice.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

That is an excellent point. It's not that they would be done with Scotland per se just the group travel aspect of it that includes 50 others.. I think they will just be ready for a change but thT does not need to be outside of Scotland... I am finding some great activities there now after a little research.. Will continue. Thanks so much - it sure would be easier!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paris would be good,

London to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Paris, check internal flights and the train, prices may be better by plane.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM

"it's a coincidence that I will have relatives there at about the same time, who happen to be very well connected to one of the Golf Clubs/Lodges that are only a few trains stops from the Fringe Festival Area."

The Festival Fringe (note order) Area covers most of Edinburgh but this year it's main focus will be around the Bistro Square area - which only has one station, the main Edinburgh staion, near it (and that's a mile away).

As for golf clubs there's several within the boundaries of Edinburgh itself
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Check prices of flights carefully before making decisions. Fares jump during festival weeks. A quick trip to Paris which might be a 59 GBP special two weeks earlier might be three times that during the festival.

Seeing Edinburgh during the festival is like seeing New York on New Year's Eve and Fourth of July all at one time. The weather is usually great. The flowers are blooming and there are things to do and see on every block.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I loved the Festival Fringe when I was there with my family a couple of years ago. I would make sure to spend a few days there enjoying the wonderful atmosphere and the cultural smorgasbord available throughout Edinburgh throughout the festival. If you enjoy theater, the Traverse Theatre has a great assortment of plays, mostly new, that run day and night. There is music, dance and comedy crammed into every building that has room to accommodate a production throughout the city.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM

"The weather is usually great. "

Rich Hall - "Edinburgh is the only place I've been where you can get sunstroke & trenchfoot on the same day".
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 06:55 AM

The weather was not remotely "great" when I was at the festival. It was cold and rainy and some locals were actually wearing wool coats which I found totally bizarre in August. Luckily, I had a rain coat with me which I wore. I think Scotland would be great if you were actualy interesting in traveling to other places, more of an outdoorsy or hiking trip, I suppose. If you want to see cities, sure, move on.

I would never recommend Italy as a great choice for this trip in August, it's about the last place I'd want to go (that and southern Spain) for many reasons. Besides, it's much farther away. Paris is a better idea than that.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We booked our trip! Thank you to everyone for your wise words and for sharing your experiences! We have decided to spend a full 2 weeks in England and Scotland and enjoy the Festival Fringe and all of the other amazing sights. We are a family of 5: two teenage boys 15 and 17 and a ten year old son. We love active excursions and adventure.. so any other ideas would be great! Grateful to you all!
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
You might be interested in my trip report, which includes our time in Edinburgh at the festival and some travels around the country.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-scotland.cfm