Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need to chose just one of these cities (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-to-chose-just-one-of-these-cities-84525/)

Patsy Aug 27th, 2000 04:37 PM

Need to chose just one of these cities

Using a partner airline (many to chose from) we have 4-5 days to see one other city. We've spent a lot of time in France, Italy and Spain so thought we'd see somewhere else and looking to chose Edinburgh, Dublin, Vienna or Zurich. I'm naming the major city inwhich we'd fly in and out of but we could chose a city that is accessable from that city via train (we won't have our own transportation). We will be there around October 3rd so take this into consideration. Which would you suggest? Thanks! Patsy

Bob Brown Aug 27th, 2000 04:48 PM

I suggest taking a close look at the attractions of Vienna, particularly if you like music! I think you could spend the whole time there. Otherwise, a trip to Linz would eat up the slow time.

Tony Aug 27th, 2000 10:02 PM

Another vote for Vienna - takes your breath away just looking at it, and a lot of good food and fun too.

anniel Aug 28th, 2000 03:43 AM

You should go to Vienna. So beautiful and so much to see. If I could only choose one city of those you mention , I would go to Vienna without any doubt.

Sheila Aug 28th, 2000 02:02 PM

There was a thread very like this last year, in which I think Edinburgh ended up winning. I'll see if I can find it for you

rob Aug 29th, 2000 10:27 AM

Hi Patsy - <BR> <BR>Another vote for Vienna, although Edinburgh or Dublin would be nice too. <BR> <BR>You could easily spend a whole 5 days just in Vienna, walking the charming streets in the Innere Stadt, riding the streetcars, seeing the palaces and museums, hearing great music, and eating. <BR> <BR>Good day trips out of the city are Baden and especially the Wachau Valley - take an early train to Melk, have a look at the gorgeous monastery, and then catch a boat down the Danube to Duernstein (about 1 1/2 hours). Durnstein is tiny but extremely beautiful - worth a stop. Then take another boat in the same direction down the Danube to Krems (1/2 hour) - another fine old town. You can continue by boat back to Vienna, but it takes a long time. Better to take the train back to Vienna. <BR> <BR>For an overnight trip, I think I would go to Salzburg - only 3 hours away and very beautiful. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

Jbering Aug 29th, 2000 03:36 PM

Vienna!! Went back to visit Austria after having lived there for eight years. Not too much has changed since I left 12 years ago. <BR>There is so much to do in this town - from museums to taking an afternoon stroll in the Volksgarten. Make sure you see an opera or orchestra performance. Eat plenty of Wienerschnitzel und Kartoffel Salat. Visit Kahlenberg oder Cobenzel (hilltop views of Vienna). Spend an evening enjoying wine in Heurigens. Visit the Hundertwasserhaus. Walk in the pedestrian zones..window shop, eat, and shop! Be sure to eat the wonderful pastries/cakes in Aida or Demel. <BR> <BR>

topper Aug 30th, 2000 06:03 AM

topper Aug 30th, 2000 06:29 AM