Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need to chose 1 of these countries for 4 days-Please Help

Jun 19th, 2000, 09:47 AM
"mudpie"

I am redeeming frequent flyer points for travel and can use a partner airline...thus my return allows a stop over and I can't figure out which country! I could stay in Scotland (perhaps Edinburgh or Glasglo) or Vienna, Austria (or any other city in Austria) or Switzerland (perhaps Zurich or Lucerne). I've never been to any of these 3 countries and can't decide which is best for 4 days. Could you please rank them in your order of preference. (I won't have a car) Thanks so much! "Mudpie"

Jun 19th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Ed

Our choice, hands down, would be Switzerland. No car needed.

Go to the bottom level of the airport and take the train to the mountains surrounding the Jungfrau in the Berner Oberland. Add in a day in Luzern if you'd like.

You'll find our recommendations for a short visit to our favorite country helpful, at www.twenj.com/swissshort.htm

Ed

Jun 19th, 2000, 10:21 AM
kk

Dear Mudpie, it's hard to recommend the stopover without knowing which main country you will be in. Sometimes it's nice to do a contrast.

But answering without that knowledge, I would put Vienna first, Lucerne second, and Scotland third.

This could all be academic, of course, because getting the partner airline leg on your FF ticket is usually tricker than the main airline. Maybe you should just see what is available and wing it. Any of those places would be nice, though Zurich is a little stuffy.

Jun 19th, 2000, 11:47 AM
"mudpie"

I forgot to mention that we will be returning from a cruise ending in Venice. I did check and the flights on the partner airlines are all available so I do have options. We will NOT have a car so will need to depend on trains to arrive, then our good ole feet and city transportation.

Jun 19th, 2000, 12:17 PM
kk

Lucky lucky you, mp. I'd still go with Vienna.