Search

Need to book in 24 hours - info on construction in Ghent/Gent BE

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM
tld
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to book in 24 hours - info on construction in Ghent/Gent BE

I have some time available in two weeks in which I'd like to take a trip. My first choice is Ghent; I have been to Brussels, Antwerp, and Bruges, and wanted to see Ghent as well. However, I know that the famous St. Bavo's altarpiece is undergoing some conservation efforts, and I've heard that the old part of town is under construction. I'd welcome the opinions of Fodorites who have been there recently and can tell me how disruptive the construction is. Thank you.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
tld
Original Poster

Okay, I gave myself another couple of days to decide. But I'd still like info, if anyone has an update. Thank you!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM

Topping for tld.

We're considering a visit to Ghent as well, so any information on this construction would be appreciated. We'll be there sometime between June 2 and June 6.

Thanks
Kathy
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM

Hello...was in Ghent today. I didn't try to see the altarpiece today so I can't update its status but can report that Ghent is very torn up from construction and looks like it will be for quite some time. It was a beautiful sunny day so it was still enjoyable to walk around. The Graslei and Vrijdag markt areas were not affected. You still could walk through the construction areas and shops and restaurants were open (to the extent they are on Sundays)--but the street was torn up and you walked on boards at times and areas were blocked off with wire fencing. If you really want to see Ghent and the weather is nice, I wouldn't necessarily skip it, but it is dusty and not quite as picturesque as usual.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
tld
Original Poster

Coll, thank you for the reply. That does help a bit. I'm still undecided, especially as to where to stay. Can you give specifics as to where the construction is located - and what hotels/B&Bs NOT to stay in as a result?
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:19 AM

We were in Ghent last week. Yes -- lots of construction. As PP said, the Graslei was not affected, but between there and St. Bavos, you're walking on roads and sidewalks that are completely torn up. As we just went on a daytrip from Bruges, I can't offer advice as to hotels.

We did go to St. Bavo's, and paid (IIRC) 4 Euro apiece to see the altarpiece. Once you pay, you walk into a very small viewing area, where you can see the huge altarpiece which is indeed in the midst of conservation. (Again IIRC) we were viewing the altarpiece through two sets of glass -- one glass window at the viewing area, and I think there was another piece of glass in front of the altarpiece, which is some distance away. With all the glass, there were lots of reflections and glare -- it made for very difficult viewing. I was really irritated that we had spent a total of 8 euros for that, when the view was so poor. There were two panels removed from the altarpiece that were up close to the viewing area, but still... the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Unless you REALLY want to see the real thing, I'd save yourself the money and just see the replica altarpiece elsewhere in the cathedral.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM

I'm sorry I didn't see your question before I headed to Ghent or I would have been more observant. I don't know Ghent very well at all. I am in Brussels on a work assignment and went there spur of the moment to go to a couple shops that were closed the last time I was there but supposedly open on Sundays--I was foiled again at the one because it was closed on Sunday because of the holiday on Monday. So after I go back for a 3rd time, I'll be able to provide better advice!

As vamoodys noted, there was significant construction around St. Bavo's, but elsewhere too. Tram lines were dug up, etc. I am sorry I can't give better details. If you have nice weather, it would still be enjoyable to stroll around (especially the Graslei area) and take a boat ride. It might be a good idea to stay in another town and do it as a daytrip.

Are you focused on staying in Belgium? I've done some great daytrips in Belgium to some places you didn't mention. Among my favorites are Ypres (if you are interested in WWI--the museum in Cloth Hall is great), Durbuy, and Leuven. I was a bit underwhelmed by the Belgian coast but that may have been partially due to the gale force winds and pouring rain that kicked up unexpectedly as I was riding my rented bicycle!

Enjoy your trip wherever you end up.
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the construction information. We were trying to decide between a day trip to Ghent or to Antwerp. Both cities seemed equally desirable. We're choosing Antwerp this trip.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM
GBC

We were in Ghent about two weeks ago and noted the construction. Our view was that when completed Ghent would be a great visit but for now there are probably better choices.