Need to book B&B Southern England 2nd week May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of getting a Southern England rail pass and spending 9 nights exploring. The pass allows Salisbury, Oxford, points South of London. I'd really rather not prebook as I'm thinking our train travel might be not so rigid.

If I don't want to book, should I look at April instead, with less crowds?

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

I don't think this is getting any response because of the way I worded it. It isn't just one B&B, it is a whole 9 nights of B&B's on a train journey.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble getting B&B last minute in May. It's not busy in May. It's fun to be flexible. You will have a great time.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:07 PM

The middle of May is not busy most places. There are two bank holidays - at the beginning and end of May so that takes a lot of the pressure off the rest of the month.

I wouldn't pre-book anywhere except in London and possibly Oxford. You can use the Tourist Information Centers in every town and many villages to book your night's or next night's lodging. Say you are in Oxford and decide to go to Chippenham the next day - head to the Oxford TIC and they will call ahead to the Chippenham TIC and they will find you a place. So before you even leave Oxford you will know where you are staying in the next town . . . .
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:47 AM

Cymbeline - For the past 4 trips to Britain, we have used the little green b&b book, called Nationwide Bed & Breakfast. Check out www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com
and whilst in London, we always use the other company, London Bed & Breakfast Agency Ltd,...www.londonbb.com (The ladies who organise the bookings for this company are so helpful & courteous)
No I don't work for either company, but I like to recommend "good reliable" companies, that provide an excellent service.
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I would really reccomend using a hotel site I use alot.

For
Hotel reservations try visiting http://www.hotelsonline.net
They have access to thousands of hotels around the world, and the website is so easy to use, the price are very attractive.

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I would recommend the Smoothhound Bed and Breakfast and Small Hotel site. I have had very good luck booking accomodations through them. Even if you chose not to prebook, the site will give you a good idea of what is available in each town or village.

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
freddysmith: Registering just to top old, moldy threads (cymbeline asked her question 20 months ago) to advertise your web site is pretty darned transparent. Advertising isn't allowed on fodors . . .