Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for where to go after Munich in April - Considering Prague or Italy?

Need suggestions for where to go after Munich in April - Considering Prague or Italy?

Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Help please. My husband has business in Munich in early April. We plan to spend a few days there and I've read wonderful suggestions of things to see and do.

We want to take another 5 or 6 days from there and I'm considering Prague or Northern Italy. Since it's early April though, I'm also wondering if we'd be better going further to the Amalfi Coast. We've never been to either Italy or Prague, but we're considering a separate trip to Tuscany in the fall.

Thanks for your help.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:21 PM

That's kind of a toss-up. While the weather may not be the greatest, a visit to Prague is really not that affected by inclement weather. There is so much to do there. I would definitely take the train, though, to get there.

In Northern Italy, the Lakes region is fairly well protected from inclement weather. My favorites are Lake Garda and Lago Maggiore. For the former you should probably drive, the latter can be easily reached from Munich by train and bus from Milano.

But, I guess I would would vote for Prague, since you will be going to Tuscany later.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:33 PM

Have you been to Germany before? If not, suggest you see more of that beautiful country, especially if you only have a few days. There is much more to Germany than just Munich.
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm still struggling with our plans.

Betty, my husband spent a couple of weeks around Bonn and Frankfurt last fall. I've read about how wonderful Germany is, but since he's spent time there and we'll have a few days around Munich, we feel we'd like to take the opportunity to see part of another country as well on this trip.

I'm thinking now of a side trip to Salzberg while we're in Munich. Following Munich, I'm trying to decide whether to go up to Prague or down to Venice, probably by train, though a friend suggested driving.

Treplow, though we'll be in Tuscany in the fall and I hope we'll be able to go north while we're there, we probably won't have time to get up to Venice too. Does this alter your vote? What can you share about Prague?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Barbara
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM

You should enjoy your trip to Munich and I hope you get a chance to sidetrip into the alps to see the castles and the mountains. After that, I can't comment on Prague since I haven't been there but you almost can't go wrong with Venice. I have seen several comments that Europe's "big three" are London, Paris and Venice.

If you are taking the train you can get a sleeper on an overnight train out of Munich and arrive in Venice in the morning with an extra day of vacation time.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:02 AM

Hi Barb,
I'm currently living in Innsbruck and that might be a nice short stop on your way to Venice. By train it's about 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. to Innsbruck, then you could take a sleeper to Venice. I took one last week while my sister was visiting. It left Innsbruck at 1:30am (ugh), went though Verona and we arrived in Venice at 7:30am. Since I live here we were able to sleep before getting on the train, but if you're young, you can loose a little sleep along the way! You can also take the slower train from Munich to Innsbruck (about 3 hours I think) that takes a more westerly route through the mountains and it's a beautiful ride. Can't miss with Venice. We were in Venice in April 2003 and it was great. Not as crowded as the summer and perfect spring weather. Have fun.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:30 AM

I was going to suggest salzburg and innsbruck etc etc. I would drive it (let me rephrase that....I drove it).

YOu'll love prague, better to check out other threads to see why but I was there without my wife and it was terrible because I loved everything and could share nothing.

I also love the smaller czech towns and if you don't get to prague then a close town that is wonderful is cesky krumlov, just near the border. Please do some research on this.

Ultimately I'm sure that any decision would be great since its a lovely part of the world in general.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

Since you asked me, I vote for Prague. If you want to, you could rent a car and drive from Prague to Cesky Krumlov for an overnight. The drive is not particularly scenic, but the city is. You can also go there by train, but car is probably more time efficient.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

I would agree witrh going to Prague; fastest rail connection takes 6 hours; you could also take an overnight (no changes) train to Venice from Munich.

Both cities would offer a big contrats to Munich. I, personally, wouldn't go to the Amalfi Coast vs. Venice.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM

to add to treplow: you can also do a bus which is 3.5 hours (??) and very very cheap
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Seems like I can't go wrong. We're tending toward choosing Prague. Most people I talk with suggest going to Prague this time because it's closer to Munich and because we're more likely to be sure to get to Venice on a future trip. Turns out too that a friend's daughter will be in Prague for a semester abroad. I'm sure Prague will be interesting, though it's hard to let go of the opportunity to see Venice or anywhere in Italy.

In any case, I'm also considering a side trip to Salzberg, maybe just for a day. Assuming we go to Prague, I've come across several recommendations of Cesky Krumlov, though I need more information on it We will probably take the train up to Prague, though I've considered driving so we get to see the smaller towns along the way. I'm not sure if we have enough time though. Neither of us speaks German and I'm finding it hard enough to approximate pronounciation of Czech from the Berlitz book.

I'd love to hear additional suggestions for sites to see and transportation.

Barb
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM

I travelled alone in germany and the czech. I speak all of 14 words in german, most of which aren't everyday dialogue like Kopf and fernster (or is it fenster?). Anyway, i got along fine and never felt frustrated with language. I did at times use my german language book in the Czech and that worked out well.

I drove germany which is very easy but not the czech. On the train out of czech I had my passport taken away for about an hour. At least I was still travelling wheras if this occured whilst driving I'd probably lose time. I dunno if thats relevant, just thought I'd add it to the consideration.

IN Cesky Krumlov just go to a B&B. They are very cheap, the meals are nice and traditional (pork is a favourite there) and for me gives me a more natural experience. Although it was fairly busy I did not book ahead for anything and it all worked out nicely.