Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for items in a care/gift package to Europe from U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Sandi

Can anyone suggest some different types of items from the U.S. to send a gentleman in Europe (who has never been to the U.S.)? Is there anything that stands out as "American", non-perishable, not very expensive, and easy to mail? I don't really know the guy, except that he was the motorcoach driver on a recent tour I took in France. But he was the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful person. I have a couple photographs that I wanted to send so I thought I'd try to come up with a small care package as well. When I was talking to him, he was telling me all about the other tours he has done, he has been to almost every country in Western and Eastern Europe. It was very interesting to talk with him. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions!. <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:10 AM
Gail

How about a calendar with pictures of the US? I just returned from Europe and bought 1 from each country to remind me of landmarks, monuments, etc. With nice professional photos, I think this would make a nice gift.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:32 AM
nancy

I think a calender is a great idea, or a book of photograghs of the States. <BR>I know some dress more formally in Europe, but if he is a t-shirt kind of guy, that could work! <BR>Sweet idea you have, and I am sure what ever you send will be valued because of the thought that went into it. <BR>Nancy <BR>How about postcards from you state?

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 01:51 PM
Amy

I'm currently living in Germany and miss everything from the states. I suggest you send him some article of American clothing. European and American clothing is very different so that'll stand out. You can also send postcard or other little momentos from the states. Just some ideas!!! Oh, and that's a very sweet thought to send him a package!!!

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Harry

If he smokes, how about a carton of cigarettes. Many Europeans roll their own because the price of pre-packaged is too high, double or triple US prices. <BR>Easy to mail too. Yes, I'm serious.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:56 PM
Holly

How about a jar of peanut butter?

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:48 PM
elvira

those larger teabags and inx to make suntea. <BR> <BR>marshmallow fluff (to go with the peanut butter) <BR> <BR>baseball cap with your team's logo, or the Cowboys', or a college's <BR> <BR>belt buckle (see above) <BR> <BR>fancy/decorated paper cocktail napkins and plates (see above above) <BR> <BR>real maple syrup <BR> <BR>dried cranberries <BR> <BR>audio cassettes of your local symphony <BR>or a local band (bet he's never heard of the Gin Blossoms) <BR> <BR>The Sunday New York Times (wrap the other stuff in it - proverbial two birds with one stone) <BR> <BR>ok, dumb, but those free bottle openers that breweries give away (I have one shaped like a shark if you want it) <BR> <BR>book matches (see way above, or from local restaurants with weird logos) <BR> <BR>book of dumb jokes <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:59 PM
John

Hi, Sandi, <BR>You must be a nice person. <BR> <BR>Many (or most) tour buses in Europe have little penants or flags, commemorating the places they've visited or passengers they've carried, hanging from the ceiling, mounted on the dash, here and there. I've seen so many on some coaches that one wonders about the driver's field of view. So how about a State flag or two, or your State flag and a little US flag, and a little base suitable for mounting (glue or tape) in his bus? (You know, those little 4" x 6" jobs, available all over the place.) It's especially good if you happen to have a cool State flag, like California's with the bear and "California Republic" - a big hit with many Euros. <BR> <BR>Or a little penant from your town or State, think soft goods, hangable. <BR> <BR>Ball caps tend also to be very popular, if it's a recognizable team like the Yankees or Dodgers. <BR> <BR>Or, an "Over (name)" video tape (New England, Washington, ...) from PBS. Make sure it's in the PAL format, useable on European VCRs. <BR> <BR>Or one of those "back off" bumper stickers with Yosemite Sam, or, of course, anything featuring Jerry Lewis.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 05:21 AM
frank

jelly beans

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Annette

The above suggestions give you a lot to choose from. I'll just add speciality candy from your state or region. Washington State has aplets and cotlets, fantastic orchard fruit confections. Your state probably has a great speciality candy, too. <BR> <BR>Oh, and is beef jerky a state-side phenomenon only? It sort of speaks U.S. wild-west. Of course, he might find that hideous, unless he's on a low-carb diet.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Sandi

Many thanks to everyone! I knew the nice folks on this forum would not let me down, although I did wonder how well my question would be received. Kind of an odd request, I know. I'm from Jefferson City, Missouri, so I already went to the capitol building and picked up a mini state flag. We have two bears on our flag, John. I'm a Cardinal's baseball fan, so I liked the ideas about a tee-shirt or cap. I think I'll pick up some dried fruit/nuts trail mix at a specialty store we have here, and maybe some honey that is locally made. I liked the jelly beans idea. How American are Jelly Belly's? A Ronald Reagan favorite. I will try to find something about our National Parks, too. The calendar, or a paperback book maybe. I'm a Coca-Cola collector, too, and I was always buying Diet Coke's from the guy, so I will dig through my Coke memorabelia and pick something from that. I think that should do it. <BR> <BR>THANKS again for all of your help and the kind comments. It has been fun reading them. I will keep checking for any other brainstorms. <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:09 AM
John

A Cardinals ball cap and shirt is great. Remind him that Saint Louis was, after all, a fairly famous French guy. You might consider something concerning Mark Twain, too - very popular in France.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 05:30 PM
BJ

(1) Map of the USA; (2) Map of Missouri with Jefferson City highlighted; (3) Postcards from Missouri/Jefferson City. <BR>I think he would really enjoy being able to understand exactly where you live within the USA and sending both maps helps people from other countries get a perspective of our huge country. Maps are free from AAA (Auto Club). <BR>Yes, comedian Jerry Lewis is much revered in France; much more so than here. A poster or biography from a used book store? <BR>Packets of vegetable and flower seeds. The French love their fresh veggies and flowers...something to remember you by for years..and inexpensive, small and light. <BR>You are a nice and thoughtful person, Sandi!