Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for Genoa, Pisa, and Monterosso al Mare

Oct 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Hey everyone! I'm leaving for Italy in less than a week! I need help in ironing out the final details.

Day 1, 2, 3: Cinque Terre (staying in a hotel in Monterosso for 5 days)
Day 4: Day trip to Genoa
Day 5: Day trip to Pisa
Day 6, 7,8: train up to Lausanne, Switzerland to visit with our friends who live there.

Would love to hear from the helpful people on this board on helpful tips, things to do and see, and restaurants to try - in Genoa, Pisa, and Monterosso al Mare. It's our second time in Italy, but will be our first time seeing these cities.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
-J
Oct 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM

You might find some suggestions on ekscrunchy's trip report. She always lists lots of details about food.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-much-else.cfm
Oct 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM

We really enjoyed the Genoa Aquarium - and make sure you try some pesto for lunch. It was wonderful!
Oct 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Be sure to book your tickets to go up the tower in Pisa in advance if you haven't already.

It might also be helpful to know that you aren't able to carry any bags/purses with you as you climb, but they do provide you with free, secure lockers to use during your time slot.
Oct 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses, all!

kybourbon - as mouthwatering as ekscrunchy's trip report was, they are in different areas than where we will be.

kfusto - thank you for the suggestions for Genoa, although....I just made a last minute decision to cut Genoa and see Lucca instead, after reading up on Lucca. So now, it'll be Cinque Terre, Lucca, and Pisa.

asalamy - I wish I thought of that before. when I looked it up, I saw that I had to book the tickets at least 16 days in advance. Oops, oh well.

Only a few days left, and I haven't started packing yet!
Oct 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM

How are you traveling to Lucca and Pisa?
On same day?
If you are taking a train from Lucca to Pisa, you get off at the Pisa Rossore station, not Pisa Centrale. The Rossore station is not even 10min from Campo dei Miracoli. The platform I got off was unattended, but lead immediately to a residential area just west of the Campo.

Pisa Centrale is quite far from the the Campo. I took bus from near the taxi stop at the base of the leaning tower to the Pisa Centrale.

I saw a long line of frustrated tourists waiting patiently for taxis at Campo.
Oct 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM

When I went to Lucca from Pisa we used the public bus - it was a very scenic trip and cost less than 3 Euros. The bus leaves from the airport, the station or directly outside the Campo. It drops you just inside the main gates of Lucca, by the tourist information building.

If you do take the train, I would somewhat disagree with greg about the station location. Centrale Station is about a 15-20 minute stroll, but it is over the river and through the streets of central Pisa, which aside from the Campo is the only thing to see. This is the area where most of the restaurants are, and it warrants the walk if you are up for it - don't bother with the taxi queue.
Oct 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

I was planning on doing Lucca and Pisa on two separate days - do you think we could do them both in one day? I know they are close by each other. But after reading up on Lucca, it seemed like the kind of place we could just wander around in all day, maybe rent some bicycles and explore.

greg and asalamy - thanks so much for the feedback on which train station to use in Pisa. I was wondering which one would be better - sounds like Centrale station is a bit further, but the walk through central Pisa would be nice. I think we will get off at the closer Rossore station on the way there, and catch the return trip at the Centrale station so that we can also see the city and try the restaurants.
Oct 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM

The train between Pisa and Lucca takes 20 minutes and the cost is 2.40€. If you are traveling with luggage, there are no facilities at S. Rossore. S. Rossore is a very short walk from the tower while Centrale is about a 20 minute walk (or short bus ride - leaves from beside the tower) to Centrale.