Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for family stay in Paris & Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:40 AM
Atul

We are travelling for the first time to Paris as a family of 4 (two teenagers) in July. We need suggestions on where to stay while in Paris and then on to Switzerland (we dont know where we are going yet so additional suggestions are welcome). <BR> <BR>Thanks a bunch. <BR>Atul

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:26 PM
Ursula

Atul: Regarding Switzerland, here is the site of the official Swiss Tourist Office: www.swisshotels.ch. <BR>In Zurich try the Walhalla, close to the main station. In Berne, Hotel Bern, in Lucerne Hotel Flora. All well located as well. Not 5 stars but fine, especially for a family. Book now, because July is top high season in Switzerland. Have a nice trip.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:49 PM
wrs

We were in Paris in November and stayed in the Latin Quarter, just off Rue St. Germaine at the Hôtel de Fleurie <BR> <BR>A smalish hotel sith a friendly and helpfull staff (but no porter service) in a great part of Paris. We liked the "Family Rooms" since we too were traveling with family. We would reccomend it. They have a website: <BR> <BR>http://www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:51 PM
Bob Brown

Before I can give you my ideas, I need to know how long you want to be in Switzerland. Apartments for a family are great and there are quite a few of them available in the more popular tourist areas. For sheer mountain scenery, Zermatt has a lot to offer. <BR>For beautiful mountains, variety and ease of travel in, out, and around, you cannot beat the Berner Oberland. Any one of four places would be great for an apartment: Grindelwald, Murren, Wengen, and Lauterbrunnen. <BR>An apartment would run you about half the cost of a hotel. If you prepare your own meals, the savings are even more. Normal apartment rental is for 7 days, but you could leave after 5 (pay for 7) and still come out ahead.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Paul

Hi... <BR>I would like to reinforce Bob's suggestion about apartments. We rented apartments two summers ago, and it's just a wonderful way to travel with kids. You'll find that you save a lot of money when compared with the cost of a hotel room(s). Your teenagers will have more private space, and we all liked not being cooped up in a hotel room. We also enjoyed trying the local grocery stores and buying food for breakfast, picnics, and the occasional dinner. <BR> <BR>We loved the Bernese Oberland, and are returning there for a quick visit after staying with friends this summer in Val d'Herens. <BR>I would urge you to try to finalize your plans and contact the local tourist offices asap as many chalet apartments will already be rented. Go to the tourist website for any area in which you are interested, and view their offerings online, have them send you a brochure as your starting point, or email them to have them suggest apartments which are not already rented. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Bob

Hi! <BR> <BR>The above post should help you a lot. <BR> <BR>About 12 yrs ago my wife & I took our teenage sons to Europe. First part of trip included Paris to Switzerland. <BR> <BR>After staying in Paris we headed toward southern Switzerland and stayed in Brig, not far from the Matterhorn. <BR> <BR>I highly recommend that if you are going to Switzerland take the TGV train from Gare de Lyon!! It's one of the fastest trains in the world. A really great experience. We took it to Lauasanne, Switzerland & switched trains there for Brig. <BR> <BR>You may want to look into the TGV. Quite an experience. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Betsy

One of my favorite places in the world is the Berner Oberland in the Swiss Alps.Interlaken is the main city, but I would go up to one of the smaller towns like Wengen, Grendalwald, Murren or tiny little Gimmelwald. If the weather is good you can't beat the scenery and there is great, hiking from easy to difficult. Some of these towns have no cars, you take a gondola up. If you want more info e-mail me and I will be happy to give it to you.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Atul

Hi Folks, <BR> <BR>Sorry for this delayed message. Since I am new to this forum, I could not find my original post buried under a ton of other messages (does any one know how to quickly find your original post since these postings do not have a number)? <BR> <BR>Our plan to go to Switzerland is up in the air since I do not know what we are doing yet but we may be more on the run exploring the country (unless someone suggests we stay put in one place and have more fun). <BR> <BR>We love nature and we love hiking (not serious kind like the Europeans) and we love to take some train/boat/bus excursions.... <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your help. <BR>Atul

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Atul

Hi, <BR> <BR>Sorry, I forgot to answer some questions raised here. <BR> <BR>We would like to spend 6-7 days in Switzerland. <BR> <BR>I like the idea of apartment but is there one place to stay where you can spend a week (what do you do all week, is it relaxing, enjoying nature, hiking, biking kind)? What the least stay allowed for apartments (5 days?)? <BR> <BR>For going from Paris to Switzerland, I like the idea of TGV. I think it also runs from Paris (do I need to go down to Lyon for that?). What does it cost per person to take TGV from say Paris to Zurich or Interlaken (close to it)? <BR> <BR>Thanks again. I would prefer to get an email but that deprives others of the benefit of a discussion group (esp since I am new here). <BR> <BR>Atul

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Vicki

Hi! Interlaken, Switzerland was the highlight of our travels in Europe this past summer. It was just myself and my 3 teenage sons, ages 15 through 19. They have plenty of 'extreme sports'for the kids and family alike and the countryside is breathtaking. Check out www.alpinraft.ch and the hotel/hostel we stayed at was Backpackers Villa. They also have a website. It was clean, comfortable, in the middle of town, and lots to do for the teenagers. Have a ball if you get there and e-mail me if I can help you out. Vicki