Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need suggestions for a hotel in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-suggestions-for-a-hotel-in-london-879000/)

RLC3 Feb 22nd, 2011 03:33 AM

Need suggestions for a hotel in London

Hi - my husband and I will be in London for two days in early April. We would like to find a hotel in central London, near a tube, and we will be arriving into London via the Heathrow Express. We have a late morning flight out of London Heathrow. I really like the Londontown websight, but I am having a bit of trouble deciding what the best location would be. We would like to visit the Tower, Westminster Abby, Hampton Court and the Portrait Gallery - if we can do all of those things in two days! We also would like to stay around $150.00-$200.00 US., and tend to like historical vs. modern hotels. Thank you for all your help!!

qwovadis Feb 22nd, 2011 03:40 AM

http://www.betterbidding.com/show.ph...om/page/london

frequently pick up nice hotels like the

Tower Hotel on the Thames bidding priceline

from $80/nt when there last...

www.londontown.com www.booking.com if you do not want to bid.

jamikins Feb 22nd, 2011 03:43 AM

I cant really help with the hotel as I live here but for those sites I would look for something central. Also, if your hotel is fairly central the Heathrow Express is not the best way to get into town. It works best if you are stayingin Paddington area, but that is not the best location for a short stay to see those sites.

The Piccadily line on the tube is cheaper and takes about an hour and it you can find a hotel along that line it may be better for you. Or if your hotel is not along that line look into www.justairports.com for a car transfer.

jamikins Feb 22nd, 2011 03:45 AM

do you have two full days (excluding travel days?) if so you may be able to squeeze all that in. Tower will take 1/2 day and Hampton Court will take at least that amount of time plus travel time - it usually takes most of the day. perhaps the Portrait gallery could be fit in on the afternoon/evening of your arrival?

RLC3 Feb 22nd, 2011 05:23 AM

Hi - we arrive early Friday, have Saturday then leave on Sunday! That being said, we really do not mind how we get into London - we just want to be able to get to a hotel quickly (less expesive way is always best!)then out again to enjoy your wonderful city. Thinking of Tower, Portrait gallery, Friday. Saturday, Hampton Court, Westminster Abby? Thanks.

jamikins Feb 22nd, 2011 05:31 AM

Depending how early you arrive - expect it to take 2-3 hours from the time you land to get through immigration and get your bags and get into London.

Where your hotel is will determine the best/most efficient way to get into central London so once you've determined that you can decide on transport.

The Portrait gallery is open late on Fridays so you could do the Tower then head to the portrait gallery after that: http://www.npg.org.uk/visit.php

Then do Hampton Court and Westminster Abbey on Saturday.

I assume you have been to London before and have picked Hampton Court and the portrait gallery for a reason. If its your first time to London they wouldnt be my first choices for such a short visit.

RLC3 Feb 22nd, 2011 05:57 AM

Hi, yes, we have been to London, but always love suggestions. Places that are open late would be ideal! We really do want to go to Hampton Court.
We will be coming from Edinburgh, therefore will not need to go through immigration.
Love ideas on what area/neighborhood I should be looking at for a hotel, Piccadily, Tower Hill, best place to get around.

stokebailey Feb 22nd, 2011 06:28 AM

You don't have to bid with Hotwire.com, and you can research a little on betterbidding site above, then link to hotwire through them. You could get a really nice hotel for your price range.

The central area hotels would work fine for what you want, Bloomsbury, Mayfair, Kensington, Westminster in Hotwire areas, and going for the highest star hotel there in your price range.

janisj Feb 22nd, 2011 06:29 AM

"<i>we will be arriving into London via the Heathrow Express</i>"

Any reason why? The HEX is very expensive only gets one to Paddington. For the HEX to make <i>any</i> sense you'd have to stay near Paddington --and that is a pretty inconvenient location -- especially for a short stay. To get anywhere else you'd have to queue for a taxi and pay even more to get to you hotel.

The most convenient areas from LHR are anywhere along the Piccadilly line (South Kensington, Green Park, Covent Garden, Russell Sq, etc).

And if you don't want to use the tube in from the airport - a pre-booked car service will be a better option then the HEX + a cab or the HEX + the tube.

janisj Feb 22nd, 2011 06:31 AM

Oops - also meant to include areas like Sloane Sq, Victoria, Westminster along the Circle/District Lines which would be convenient to the Tower.

Mimar Feb 22nd, 2011 06:49 AM

All of you who recommend the tube from Heathrow, be sure you warn people that they may have to carry their luggage up stairs -- possibly more than once. Not all London tube stations have elevators or escalators.

And when we were last in London they were doing a lot of work on the tube, closing stations on the weekend. This might really affect the OP.

avalon Feb 22nd, 2011 08:51 AM

Actually for 2 people a car service might be less expensive than R/t on HEX and a cab. Just airports in 55 GBP for round trip. I just wporked it out and adding in cab fare to and from Paddington I save almost 20 GBP.

I have booked Millenium Gloucester for 95 GBP for October and next month will be staying at Grosvenor Kensington for 89 GBP with breakfast. Both are right across from tube stations.They also have great bus stops nearby. I've stayed in both many times and they are very nice. Booked both on Londontown

janisj Feb 22nd, 2011 12:15 PM

Not only is justairports (and other car services) cheaper -- it is door-to-door and there is no luggage schlepping at LHR, or at Paddington.

RLC3 Feb 22nd, 2011 02:20 PM

Thank you - this is very very helpful advice. Will go the justairports route, and will research hotels tonight in the areas suggested above. Will also try the betterbidding to hotwire, something I have never done before! Thanks for all the great tips, makes all the planning such fun.

Michel_Paris Feb 22nd, 2011 02:21 PM

Bloomsbury area is good. Also keep in mind B&Bs, of which there are a few in this area.

CaliNurse Mar 4th, 2011 02:12 PM

Agree with JanisKJ--justairports is fantastic. Also cheaper. Very reliable, After yrs and yrs of schlepping with luggage into and otu of London, after a first great experience, i'll alwasy use justairports in future.

Avalon, great price on the Millenium Gloucester, Love that area, and the hotel. there used to be an excellent Asian restaurant there too--not sure about now. Thanks. Will check Londontown, as the MG is no longer listed (disguised) on Hotwire.