Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need some help planning for 2016 trip to Amalfi Coast and maybe Tuscany

Old Sep 27th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast and possibly Tuscany in 2016. We have been to Rome, Florence, Montepulciano, Modena and Venice..split in two trips. So this time we would like to head south and see the Amalfi Coast. We're planning 2 weeks..currently thinking of staying in Positano, but I'm not set on that. We're looking for beautiful views/sunsets, good food and wine, relaxing, and some day trips to visit other cities/sites. We really loved Montepulciano when we went several years ago so that's the draw to head to Tuscany for part of the trip.

Questions are..would you go to Tuscany or stay around the Amalfi Coast and Naples? Any hotels that really stick out for you in either area (not necessarily Positano)? Suggestions on restaurants or things to do other than the obvious Capri and Pompeii? I really appreciate the help!
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 01:28 PM

We did a similar trip last year. We flew to Naples then took the ferry to Capri for 3 nights at Capri Wine Hotel. From there we went to Positano for 5 nights at Residence Alcione.

We had a driver take us to the Naples Airport where we picked up a car and drove to Terre di Nano in Tuscany for 4 nights (we had all been in Tuscany on previous trips) and spent our last 2 nights in Rome.

It was more moving around than we usually like but we were going with friends who particularly wanted some Tuscany time. It was a great trip and I felt like we had adequate time in all locations. We had been to Rome several times and I don't mean to imply 2 nights is enough to see Rome.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 02:11 PM

I can add more comprehensive thoughts later but I just returned this week from trip to Rome, AC, where we stayed at same wonderful place in Positano as Judy, and Capri.

I'm not sure which month you are considering, but I will never go to Italy in September again, certainly not to Positano. It was unbearably packed with mobs of people and it was really not fun to walk around. I've been to Italy a number of times and at various times of the year, but I've really never experienced anything like this before.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 03:03 PM
kja

"Any hotels that really stick out for you in either area (not necessarily Positano)?"

I loved the Hotel Parsifal in Ravello, but (a) it isn't particularly upscale in comparison to other options there and (b) Ravello would not, IMO, be a good base for the area. I just stayed there a couple of nights.
http://www.hotelparsifal.it

"Suggestions on ... things to do other than the obvious Capri and Pompeii?"

Sounds like you could use a good guidebook! Amalfi, Ravello, Salerno, Paestum, Herculeum, hiking in the area ... and, of course, dynamic and energetic Naples itself (which might not be your cup of tea). Etc.

It's a beautiful part of the world -- enjoy!
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

@Judy - that is similar to what we were planning except maybe fly out of Florence instead. I wouldn't mind a couple of nights in Florence at the end of the trip.

@LouiseH - that's good to know about September as I have read so much about it being a good time to visit. We have been back and forth between late May and mid September. Of course you can never guess how the weather will be, I am so hoping to not get rain! My sister and I went to Paris at the end of September a couple of years ago..rain nearly the entire week! Still a great trip, but it definitely changed our plans some.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

@kja - thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into Ravello, and I think we would prefer to visit rather than stay there. It looks gorgeous though!

I do have a guidebook..just looking for lesser known suggestions not the obvious.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM

IMO, May is far more preferable than September. I couldn't go in May this year thus we went in September.

Amalfi and Ravello were good to visit as day trips from Positano.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 03:24 PM

We went early May and thought that was a perfect time but, we live on a beach so beach and pool time was not important for us. Weather was great for hiking and just enjoying the scenery.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 05:52 PM

We just spent 6 nights in Positano at Le Sirenuse. Great hotel and wonderful service. Positano has many beautiful hotels, so you have lots of options there. We then spent 3 nights at Monastero Santa Rosa, in Conca dei Marini. They do offer a free shuttle into Amalfi. Beautiful! Smaller and more about relaxation-- we loved both. September worked out to be a great time of year to be on the Amalfi Coast for us. Yes, in Positano it can be crowded near the beach when the ferries come in. If you are not staying close to the beach, it wouldn't be a huge problem.

We didn't see everything we wanted to but had a great time relaxing and marveling over the scenery. Gorgeous.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 06:04 PM

I would spend a week in Tuscany and a week on the Amalfi Coast. Check out the Villa Gabrisa in Positano. We spent a week there last year. The rooms on the second floor have large balconies with beautiful views of the Mediterranean. The only negative is that it is a little walk up the hill from the beach and the center of town. There are some very good small family run restaurants nearby. We found Positano to be the ideal base from which to visit the other towns along the coast. Capri and Amalfi/Ravello are an easy ferry ride away. In Tuscany look at La Cannonica di Cortine. This is a villa/ B&B complex about half way between Florence and Siena. It would give you the chance to explore a different part of Tuscany from Montepulciano.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

@denisea - I've been reading your trip report and loving it. The way you describe the food and the scenery.. can't wait to go!

@letsgeaux - thank you for the lodging suggestions. I will check them out for sure. I think a week in each location would be ideal although we were only in Tuscany for 2 nights last time so I wasn't sure if a full 6 or 7 might be too long. We could probably do 5 there and then a couple in Florence though.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Would you all stay in Positano? Or is there another town you enjoyed? Praiano? Amalfi? I'm leaning away from Sorrento.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Positano would be my first choice but I could easily stay in the town of Amalfi. Re: Tuscany - We stayed a week at the villa I mentioned. It was about a 20 minute drive to Florence. When we wanted to go to Florence we just drove there. Same with Siena.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 04:36 PM

I would not do Sorrento...technically not the Amalfi Coast and Positano and Amalfi are your best bets. I didn't stay in Praiano but don't think I would want that to be my base.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 04:48 PM

We loved staying in Sorrento, which is a larger town with many more shops and restaurants and is a much better transit center for getting tot many different places. There is train to Pompeii and Naples, SITA bus down the coast and ferries/hydrofoils to Naples, Capri and the smaller towns down the coast.

BUT, we are not spend days sitting by the pool people. We prefer to spend an hour or two relaxing and the rest of the time seeing sights or driving (yes, we both loved driving the coast road - but in May) and touring other towns.

We stayed in - and loved - the Grand Excelsior Vittoria, which is an older, traditional hotel with very large airy public rooms and a terrace (and many balcony rooms) overlooking the bay of naples. The hotel is set in a large private garden that opens onto the town main square and has a private elevator from the terrace down to the dock from which the ferries and hydrofoils leave. Also has private parking, which is rare there.

But if you are looking primarily to just relax by the pool or the sea you are better off at one of the smaller towns down the coast.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 05:26 PM

I loved my stay in Amalfi this past May. I chose Amalfi as my base on the coast because it seemed like there was more there there, it was relatively flat, and offered good public transportation options to Positano and Ravello. My hotel, the Marina Riviera, had excellent views over the town and up the coast. You can click on my name for my trip report.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.. so many good suggestions and things to consider. And so much more reading for me to do! Our neighbors just returned from 2 weeks in Europe so it will be a fun night hearing about their adventures. It was their first trip to Italy..hoping they loved it as much as we do!