Need some advice on a trip to Spain

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on a trip to Spain

My sister and I have two days to drive from Barcelona to Bilbao, Spain (we leave on Sunday morning and need to be there by Tuesday). Any thoughts on what the most interesting route might be? We were going to drive through La Rioja, but we've learned (thanks to Robert & Totally Spain!) that everything is closed on Sunday and Monday.

We'd REALLY appreciate information on places to stay and driving in Spain, in general. Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Drive to Pamplona for your first nite then up thru the Basque country hills to St. Jean Pied du Port and over to the coast to St. Jean du Luz. Fabulous country !
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Kaixo!
In addition to what bobthenavigator has advised, you may want check the Parador Sos del Rey Católico for your first night. The Parador is about 30 minutes east of Pamplona on the A127, just south of the Monasterio de Leyre and Sangüesa. This is a beautiful part of the country and a great place to spend Sunday night. As an alternate, you can spend the night in Pamplona at the Hotel Avenida***. Very inexpensive and very welcoming, and it’s also in the center of the city, 10 minutes from the Plaza del Castillo in the old quarter.

In the morning you can head into Pamplona and visit the old city for a late morning snack since it's far too early for lunch, even through there are some great restaurants in the city. After seeing the city, you can head north over the pass at Roncesvalles and onto St. Jean-Pied-de-Port, about 1-1/2 hours drive, where you can stop for lunch. Just pick a spot. There is a lot to choose from.

From St. Jean you follow the road to Baïgorry, then up to Bidarry, over to Cambo, back across the D918 to Espelette (be sure to pick up a few jars of the pigment Espelette. It’s hard to find anywhere else). After Espelette you head to Ainhoa and then to Sare before heading back into Navarra over the "smugglers route" to the village of Bera, where you can spend your second night at an excellent small hotel, the Hotel Churrut (http://www.hotelchurrut.com/). The owner is from Bilbao and there is a very interesting history to the families Manor house that is now an excellent small hotel.

In the morning, after breakfast, you can head toward Irun and San Sebastian-Donostia on the A121. You’ll be in Bilbao in two hours.

Besides picking up a good Michelin regional map which covers this area, you’ll want to download a copy of Maribel’s Guide to the Basque Country (http://maribelsguides.com). You’ll find plenty of useful information in her guides.

Enjoy Navarra and the Basque Country. There is a lot to see and do.

Eguberri on eta urte berri on denoi!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Wow - I can't thank you enough! We were so sad to learn that we'd have to save La Rioja for another time, but your suggestions sound equally as magical! I'd forgotten about the Sos del Rey Católico... what a great idea. Thank you!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Wow--that Robert knows his stuff. I was merely replaying a route we took in 1989 and enjoyed. It is now part of family lore. We bought 6 bottles of special wine in those hills at a small co-op and lugged it all the way home--until we left it in the MARTA station in Atlanta after we landed.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Oh no! The MARTA does get confusing. I'll bet some janitor really appreciated that exotic change of pace from Coca-Cola. ;-)
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the compliment. It's just that we've ended up spending quite a bit of time in Navarra, La Rioja and the Basque Country during the last few years and have gotten to know the area fairly well, but there is always room for a little more knowledge.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I agree with Robert ,the charming Parador Sos del Rey Catolico in the little, tiny , old town of the same name, where King Ferdinand the Catholic was born is ideal for a stop over. Nearby do not miss and it will be opened I guess on Monday the fantastic romanic church in nearby Sanguesa, its portal is one of the most famous in all Spain. The travel office is across the street.
While traveling may I suggest great inexpensive lunchs in hotels. Most hotels offer a set menu that is most of the time delicious and inexpensive.