Need recommendations on restaurants in the Marais area of Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in the Marais area of Paris for one week in June on rue du Roi de Sicile near the Saint Paul Metro stop. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for this area? It would be nice to have a place or two in mind that would be convenient after a day of touring. We love good food and wine but it doesn't need to be fancy; a bistro or wine bar atmosphere would be just fine. Any favorites in other areas would be appreciated as well.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Italynovice:

A place that comes to my mind is Bofinger, just at the Bastille column.A lovely place and good food, not really cheap,not over the top.A menu formula con be a good choice.

On the left bank we like(and others don't), Brasserie Lipp; excelent poulet rotie and a millefeuille that still comes to my dreams,the service is so so...

In Montmartre coming down via rue Lepic( i think at nº 85, in a corner), we had an excellent and not expensive lunch, some 22 euros, I remember the restaurant has the word "moulin" in the name.
Enjoy your stay!!
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Here's an excerpt from my January trip report. FYI, we LOVED staying in the Marais. We also heard good things about Bofinger. It looked beautiful, but we tend to eat simply, and the menu was a bit too sophisticated and expensive for our tastes.

Our best meal was probably dinner at La Bourgesse near our hotel in Le Marais. We started with a tasty soup then we both had ravioli “royale” that was in a sauce that must have been pure cream, butter, and cheeses. OMG. I couldn’t understand the full description on the menu, but it should have read, “heart attack du jour.” It was fantastique! I do hope it wasn’t gauche to pick up the plate and lick it. Actually, I did use the bread to sop up every last drop of that sauce. (42 Euro for two.)

Another wonderful meal was at Pizza MoMo (on Rue Rivoli, also near our hotel). DP had an excellent brick oven pizza and I enjoyed a fantastic “Sicilienne” main course salad. (23 Euro for two.) Our pizza was served unsliced and we noticed that other diners were using a knife and fork to eat theirs’. We followed suit.

I could have eaten at a different restaurant every day for weeks without ever walking more than a couple of blocks from our hotel. Within one block there were three Chinese restaurants that also offered takeaway. We love dim sum dumplings and can’t get them in Nashville, so on several occasions we made a wonderful, inexpensive meal of Chinese dumplings, sautéed vegetables, and chicken skewers. (under 20 Euro for two)

There was a marvelous bakery (but aren’t they all?) next door to the Chinese restaurant, near St. Paul’s. DP ordered cheesecake, and a raspberry/apple tart that got very high marks. We also had wonderful quiches that they heated and we took with us.

Before I leave the meal department … the pitas stuffed (and I do mean stuffed!) with chicken and vegetables was excellent at L’as—and although it was very crowded, we only waited a few minutes.

Another day, we had an obligatory crepe from the stand on Rue du Rosiers. We both chose crepe “reine” (jambon, tons of fromage, champignons, and olives). Surprisingly good—and so inexpensive. I think 11 or 12 Euros for both of us.

PS. There must have been at least six restaurants surrounding La Bourgesse--and they all looked good. I don't think you're going to have any trouble.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 06:42 PM

Montmartre is nowhere near le Marais, so I don't know why that would be relevant. Nor is Brasserie Lipp - not even close - it's in St-Germain. Bofinger is an absolute classic and I recommend you try it. Go to the Place des Vosges, right in the heart of the Marais, and look at the posted menus of places there - almost all are worth a try. And L'As du Falafel is a classic cheap Marais spot for falafel. Also, Restaurant Georges in the Centre Pompidou - not too far away.

You don't really have to have a place in mind for after touring, at least at this point in your planning. Once you're there you'll see places and make mental notes about where to go.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I really like La Tartine, 24 rue Rivoli, near St. Paul.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM

One of our favorites:

Les Philosophes
28 Rue Vieille du Temple, Paris
+33 1 48 87 49 64

The real deal. Reasonable prices, good, satisfying food, nice service.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM

I like Chez Janou, 2 rue Roger Veromme.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM

Our apt. is across froma small cafe /bar that serves reasonably priced dinners , they have a moderate menu and have 3 specials every night that are listed on the blackboard and they have Berthillon ice cream!!!! Le Bouquet St Paul on the corner of Rone St Paul and Rue St Antoine /
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a very nice dinner at Monjul in December.

http://www.monjul.com/

I have also enjoyed Cafe des Musees on a couple of occasions in the past.

http://cafedesmusees.fr/
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM

Cafe des Musees, definitely.

Les Temps des Cerises, surely, but don't be put off by its exterior.

Bistros de l'Ouette, on a back street between Place des Vosges and Blvd Besumarchais. Brilliant when they are not fighting in the kitchen. The food is still good but the service suffers.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM

"Any favorites in other areas would be appreciated as well"...
This is why I mentioned Brasserie Lipp and a restaurant in Montmartre.
I expect that now St.Circ can sleep well...
The End.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM

We just came back from a week staying in your same general area. We were with 2 young kids, so we did not get to many restaurants. That being said, we had reservations at L'ange 20 and Pain, Vin, Fromage...both of which we had to cancel due to feisty children. Another restaurant on our street that was highly recommended is Claude Colliot.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that this isn't what you asked either, but do go to the house of Victor Hugo in the place des Voges.

we went 30 or so years ago and i still remember how atmospheric it was - as if he'd just stepped out of the door!
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Chez Janou is a fun place with good food. After eating many times at Bistro L'ouette ( and barcane as it was known previously with same owner) we had a horrible meal there in February. Click on my name to see my TR with some other suggestions.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM

I just came back from the Marais and cast another vote for both Cafe des Musee and L'as du Falafel (go before 7:30 and you won't have to wait).

I also LOVED Philou, a new find a 15-minute walk (about a mile) from the Marais, in a the trendy 10th, where friends were staying. Perfect ambiance, cool local crowd, friendly staff, delicious fish, steak, salads and the best fois gras we had anywhere. It is listed by CN Traveler as one of Paris's best new bistros:

http://www.cntraveler.com/food/2012/...rants#/slide=8

Other ideas in the hood: Victor Hugo's House (get the audio guide) and definitely check out the free fashion retrospective at the Hotel du Ville.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Bistrot de l'oulette: http://www.l-oulette.com/en

It's small and moderately priced and the two times I dined there it was peaceful. But chefs, like complicated sauces, can break....
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Chez Janou!!! One of my most fun Paris restaurant experience in a dozen or so trips. And the food was good, too.

Stolen from my October 2012 trip report:

"My first stop was Chez Janou, about a five-minute walk from the hotel. Our hotel had made reservations for that evening at my behest, but after reading some reviews I was a little worried about my choice. I don’t think I have ever read so many mixed reviews about a place, including many who said the greeter was somewhere between “Witty,” “Brusque” and “Attila The Hun.”

I sat at the bar and had a beer. The guy didn’t kill any patrons while I sipped my brew, and the restaurant looked like a French bistro right out of the movies, so I figured, what the heck, we’re on.

We had 8 p.m. reservations at Chez Janou, and I didn’t want to be late just in case Attila (I mean the maître d') decided he wanted to throw us out on our keisters.

We arrived at Chez Janou (2 Rue Roger Verlomme) a few minutes before 8, and I wandered inside. The server asked if we all were there, so I hurriedly herded our group inside, and we were seated at a table that somewhat straddled the inside of the restaurant near the bar and the outside patio. Chez Janou was already packed.

The maître d' everyone had written about stood next to our table holding four menus, which we assumed were for us. Not wanting to incur his possible wrath, we waited for him to make the first move.

Then, in a Magic Johnson behind-the-back-pass moment, as he was talking to someone else, he deftly placed the menus behind his back and whipped them all to Kim in one swift motion without uttering a word to us. It was, for lack of a better term, a “magic” moment.

Dining at Chez Janou was a hoot. The food was good, the wait staff was friendly and the ambiance was pure Paris (at least how I picture it in my mind); loud and fun.

I had an incredible Goat Cheese in a Ratatouille to start and a good entrecôte de boeuf for the main course.

Tracy started with a green bean salad with smoked duck and a delicious Risotto with Scallops.

Kim decided to have mussels in pesto that he enjoyed and lamb chops for his main course.

Mary had the consensus best meal starting with her French Onion Soup and transitioning to a fabulous lamb shank with mashed potatoes.

Then came our very fun dessert, the Mousse au chocolate.

I was the bottomless pit who had ordered it, but instead of a small bowl of chocolate mousse, I was given an incredibly large bowl of thick, rich and delectable chocolate mousse. The waiter said, “You can have as much as you want. Just don’t eat out of the bowl.”

Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa) has a story where she tells how her husband ate the entire bowl at a restaurant, not realizing that isn't really what you're supposed to do.

Knowing that if I ate too much of this dish our plane might have a hard time taking off the following day due to the extra weight, I kept my gorging to a minimum. Dessert was fantastic!

The Chez Janou experience capped off our terrific day of dining and, in essence, capped off another unforgettable trip to Europe."

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Les Associés. 50 Boul de la Bastille near the Opera. Inventive salads (try the Lac des Cygnes or the Ivan le Terrible) , no frills, friendly waiter who remembered us the second time and ushered us to our "favorite" table.

Rendezvous des Amis in the Marais: great basic atmosphere, very good omelettes and soup.

My daughter's friend who spent a semester at the Sorbonne says the King Falafel Palace, a few doors east from L'As du Falafel on r.d. Rosiers, is arguably even better and far shorter queues. We got takeout and liked it a lot.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I got busy at work (the life of a Pediatrician during flu season) and came back to this site with wonderful suggestions! Thank you all, I will look over all of these restaurant recommendations. Maitaitom, thanks to you, we have enjoyed several wonderful meals at Entoteca Cul de Sac in Rome; we'll try your Paris recommendation, as you have not steered us wrong in the past!
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM

If you want to try something unique, check out Le 404. it'a Moroccan restaurant that we enjoy a great deal. hey have one seat at 8 PM. reservations are amuse. Address is 69 Rue des Gravilliers, close to the Arts et Metier METRO stop.