Search

Need recommedation: January jaunt from London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need recommedation: January jaunt from London

Hello!
My business partner and I are thinking of taking a boondoggle to London to visit clients in late January. We'd like to tack on four or five days elsewhere to see the sights. We'd like the location to be a reasonable flight from London so we don't take up too, too much of the trip with flying. We are both women in our 30s who enjoy off-the-beaten-path-type wandering. Is there anywhere that you'd go in January??? Brrrrr. We'd love someplace that won't be miserable to nose around in that time of year.

Suggestions??
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:55 PM

What temps do you consider reasonable? In January there's no place really warm (beach weather) but if you stick to southern Spain or Italy it should be fairly pleasant (light jacket weather)
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Can I ask what a 'boondoggle' is??
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

"Reasonable" to us is in the 50s, with at least the chance for some dry days. On the current list is Sicily, but Spain is out due to some family guilt reasons for my business partner. (Long story.) Anywhere else? We'd also be willing to forego good weather if there were a wonderful festival somewhere.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Prue: A boondoggle usually is a not-really-all-that-necessary business trip. We took one to Australia for a loosely applicable conference a few years back and had a wonderful time! But, to celebrate our business's 10th year, it's time to do it again!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:50 AM

It's January - it's the northern hemisphere, so the temps won't be great. In other words it's not outdoors weather unless you are a serious outdoor person. Do you want to trek or something? And what does "off the beaten track wandering" mean to you?

It's the time of year for indoor pursuits and if your time outside is blessed with blue skies, then that's just luck. It can't be predicted.

So any European city will do for museums and such. I'd pick Venice or Barcelona. Or you could try Tallinn or Valencia. Or Bucharest (never been there).

Or you could go to Northern Africa - Fez, Marrakesh, where it will be a little warmer.

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

We've considered Marrakesh, but we've also talked about Sicily (as I mentioned) as well as Bergen. Any reactions to the idea of going to Bergen in January? Is that nuts?
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 03:02 PM

If you go to Sicily, fly into Catania, stay in Taormina and visit Siracusa. Palermo might be a bit much for such a short trip and a bit miserable in the depths of winter...tho I don't suppose the depths are very deep in Sicily.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM

In addition to Sicily, think oabout Tunesia and Malta.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 01:24 AM

You can get cheap flights on Ryanair from London to Palermo (like 20-40E RT per person). I would then do Palermo, rent a car and head out towards Trapani, Marsala, and environs.. lots to see (and drink!). If you can drive stick you can get a car for fairly cheap 12-20E per day.